• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ladies who have had a c-section

K

kaylou109

Hi ladies,

So I am 37 weeks and a scan today has confirmed that my baby is breech and the sonographer says she is 'wedged in' and does not think an EVC will be successfull (but I will try anyway), and she is unconvinced that the baby will move on her own as she is in a difficult position.

I am considering the c-section (although this decision may not even be in my hands) as I also suffer badly with SPD.

i have a few questions about it though and would be really gratefull if anybody who has had one could spend a few moments answering them for me as I am very nervous. I have done some reading but wanted a 'real life' version.

1. Does it hurt? Does the spinal injection hurt? What does it feel like?
2. What effect do the drugs they give you have? Are you drowsy in the op?
3. Can my partner be with me and hold my hand etc?
4. Does a carthater hurt? I can't imagine weeing and not knowing about it?
5. Can I still have skin to skin contact with my baby straight away?
6. Does it interfere with breastfeeding?
7. After can you walk and pick your baby up?

Sorry its long but I am really scared and want the truth about these questions as I keep reading conflicting information. Please number any responses you can give me to correspond with above and in advance I appreciate any advice, thanks

K xxxxx

I'm glad to help. My section was 4 1/2 years ago... having another one in nine days (planned this time). :)

If I remember correctly, they put some numbing stuff on your back before the spinal so you don't really feel the needle going in. I don't remember it hurting too bad.
If that's all you have-- a spinal or epidural-- you're not drowsy. I was wide awake in the OR.
Your partner can be with you in the OR. My DH stood right up by my head and held my hand through the whole thing.
They put the catheter in after your spinal, so you don't feel it. And yeah, it's the weirdest thing not to know you're peeing... I still don't get exactly how it works. But it's really pretty cool. And when you're better and they take it out, it's not that bad, even though you're (obviously) not numb anymore.
You can still have skin to skin with your baby, barring any other complications. In my experience, they took me to recovery afterwards and let me lie there with my baby until I could feel my legs and wiggle my toes, and then they took me back to my room.
Different dr's will vary on how soon they want you up and walking around, and you should be able to pick up your baby. The sooner you can walk, the better.
Hope this helps.
Don't be afraid. I think this forum is going to be an awesome place for us to answer each other's questions. :)

So I don't have a "natural" birth to compare it to, but my c section wasn't bad at all. I will be getting a c section for all subsequent pregnancies.

To answer your questions:

1. during the surgery...no, it doesn't hurt. I'm not gonna lie, recovery can be kinda rough. I consider myself to have a pretty high pain tolerance, but once the spinal wore off, I was in some pain!! My advice is to get your pain medicine as it's ordered (every 4-6 hours) or whatever. Whether you're hurting or not. Stay ahead of your pain and it will be much better. The spinal doesn't hurt. They give you a numbing injection before the spinal. The numbing injection feels just like a bee sting, but once it kicks in, you won't feel it anymore. All you feel with a spinal is a pressure-like feeling.

2. They did not give me any narcotic-like drugs in the OR. I was completely aware of what was going on.

3. YES! They will allow your partner to be with you. My husband stayed right beside me and held my hand the whole time.

4. They will insert the catheter after your spinal, so you won't feel it. It can get a bit uncomfortable after you regain feeling because it sort of gets in the way!!

5. I think it is up to your hospital's policy if they allow skin to skin. If this is something you want, I would suggest you let them know in advance. I didn't have skin to skin right after, but they brought my baby to the room I was in and transitioned him right there while I recovered and I was breastfeeding him within an hour of him being born.

6. It shouldn't interfere with breastfeeding. I have seen on here where people blame their c/s for not making enough milk, etc. But I have not been affected by this. I am making plenty of milk to keep my baby satisfied. So, for me, it hasn't affected breastfeeding.

7. They will make you stay in bed for about the first 24 hours. Then they will want you to get up and walk around. I was up, walking, and had a shower before 24 hrs after my surgery. It wasn't that bad moving around. And yes, they will let you pick your baby up!! They will tell you not to lift anything heavier than your baby.

I hope this helped ease your fears some. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and I hope you have a wonderful birth experience, however it may be!!

Thank you so much ladies, you have really helped to put my mind at ease...it is getting very real now, to think my baby girl could be here in 2 weeks!

Another quick one...which may sound really really stupid...do you bleed 'down there' after a c section? I am presuming not?

K xxx

Yes, you will still bleed "down there". The blood has to come out somewhere!! I don't know how badly you bleed with a vaginal birth. But, after the first day, I hardly bled very much. Never enough to saturate a pad completely. I am only a week and a half post partum and still bleeding some, but not very much. I can have the same pad on for the whole day and not saturate it.

Hi there, I had my baby boy via C Sec 6 weeks ago yesterday.

The C Sec itself doesn't hurt, it feels strange, abit like someone is doing their washing up in your tummy, and can feel uncomfortable but i wouldnt say it was 'pain'. I felt slightly sick whilst they did mine, but to be fair mine ended up being an emergency, so was more stressful and rushed than a planned one.

I found the epidural a copable pain the worst part for me was the crunching sensation i felt as the needle was entering the spine, but again not actual pain. And once it is in - its in and no more pain. Ive always said i'd never have one but looking back (although i had no choice) I'm so glad i did have one !

An epidural doesnt make you drozey, and the up side of a planned C Sec (IMO) would be that you wouldnt have been awake pushing and tired for hours (and in my case 3 days and 3 nights lol)

Yes they can be with you at all times, to hold your hand and to take pictres etc as needed.

After the c section you wil still be bed ridden and numb for a good few hours, I didnt even think about having one in and the fact id not needed to pee for hours afterwards. When you do wee you know obsolutely nothing about it, it eliminates the need for a wee, so you dont even think abut it being in.

I dont think you could straight away, but im unsure on this. I didnt - there was nothing wrong with my baby at all but i bleed badly so my OH was given the baby, but you are soon zipped back up and given the baby on recovery so isnt the end of the world anyway.

Not at all, apart from the fact you might not be able to feel your boobs for a few hours LOL

You will be bed ridden for a good few hours (i personally got up about 10 hours afterwards to move myself onto a new bed, as the alturnitive was to be hauled - and im to stubbon for that, but its not advised lol you will know when you can walk , its when you can feel your legs and bare weight on them. The worst bit for me was that couldnt get out of bed to get him myself, but you can be handed the baby to cuddle and feed him when needed, there are always nursery nurses on the wards to help - and as long as they can see that you want to do what you are able to manage they will help you out - they just dont like the lazy bints that want them to take care of their babies whilst they recover.

All of the above as i said is just my experience, and you will make your own mind up, i reovered very quickly, partly for the fact i had a 10lb 7oz baby so i HAD to lift heavy things from day one, 6 weeks later my chunky monkey weighes 15lb 6oz and im still just about coping to carry him haha

Anyway good luck with whatever you choose, and just remember that its a matter of a few weeks to heal - you have a lifetime with your little one, and i dont think it effected our bonding at all, just do what you feel is right for you and your baby.

xxx

Dosen't hurt. I didn't feel a thing. When they are getting close to taking out baby you just feel a wind of pressure. But its quick.
I wasn't drowsy at the OP but the drugs did make me shake suring the op which the nurses assured me was normal. I don't believe that this happens to everyone.

Ep. did not hurt me. I felt as if I was getting a regular shot. I have no problems with getting shots. I did however not look at the needle which may have helped me. I did not plan of having a c-sec and at this point was in a lot of pain from the contractions so I was relieved when they came to give me the meds. But no, I did not feel as though the Ep. was painful. In fact I rememer thinking , "thats it ? " I was so nervous because there was so much build up for the Ep., thought about it alot during the nine months and heard some horror stories. But it was quick and painless.
3. Can my partner be with me and hold my hand etc? Yep.
Carthater does not hurt. You don't even notice it's there. I did not feel when it was placed in or taken out.
5. Can I still have skin to skin contact with my baby straight away? After they checked the baby out and I was given her to hold for a few mins.
6. Does it interfere with breastfeeding? It did not interfere with breastfeeding.
First day of surgery I did not walk but held my baby as much as I wanted. She had a lot of visitors the first day. I was walking around the second day. Not fast by any means. I had some help getting out of bed and I was able to walk around my room. Doc suggested I take walks around the hosp. during my stay. Which I did. I really found this to help alot. Also the nurses will ask you a million times if you've passed gas after your surgery. I did not right away and they gave me hot tea to drink. That helped alot!!

Best of luck with your birth! It goes so quickly so enjoy every minute!!

Honestly yes but only because the doctor was using a too short needle and couldnt find a longer one so carried on trying to shove the smaller one in :growlmad: , when another doctor came in with a longer needle it went in fine and wasnt painful.

I was drowsy i think but not sure whether thats because of the drugs (probably tho) or the fact it was such a stressful day as i had only gone in for a scan!

Yes my OH was with me the whole time.

Not at all, they put it in after the spinal and when they took it out the next day i couldnt feel it either and you dont feel it when it is in.

I think so if everything goes smoothly as they asked me if i wanted to.

Cant comment as my LO was in NICU so i expressed for 2 weeks then couldnt keep up with it when LO came home as he wouldnt feed from me directly and expressing and feeding seperately was too much.

I walked around 24 hours after the op, i dont know about holding the baby because again it was the next afternoon before i got to see him.

Good luck :) x

Thank you so much ladies, you have really helped to put my mind at ease...it is getting very real now, to think my baby girl could be here in 2 weeks!

Another quick one...which may sound really really stupid...do you bleed 'down there' after a c section? I am presuming not?

K xxx

Just noticed this, yes you do bleed similar to a period if i remember rightly.

I had two because my first one failed, I had an emergency c-section after laboring for almost 9 hours. My first one I felt nothing it was smooth and easy (but bent in the spinal space and the medicine wasn't working) the second one hurt a lot felt like shock waves down my butt and legs (but I think it was because the doc was yapping to the nurse while doing it) worked like a charm once it was in I felt great after. I definitely agree with pp get the pain meds when they come around even if you don't feel you need it at the moment.

I had a magnesium drip to prevent seizures due to my pre-e, that drug made me drowsy, looping and felt out of it. If I have another cs I will try to avoid that like the plague.

Yes, my DH was there the whole time holding my hand and kissing my face.

Catheter was put in after my surgery and did not hurt going in or coming out two days later. You notice the tube more than anything else, I didn't know I was peeing and it didn't bother me. Was one less thing to worry about tbh.

I did not get skin to skin, but they gave LO to DH and told him to put our baby to my face, so I got to see and kiss him. I was in my recovery room with LO in about 45 minutes and got to do it then.

Because of the mag drip I could not immediately bf, they gave me a pump to pump and dump. My later bf problems had nothing to do with the cs.

Again because of the mag drip I was not allowed to walk for the first two days and the first day I couldn't get him out of the bassinet but DH, my mom and sisters were there and handed baby to me when I wanted him.

Also I bled for 6 weeks, enough to saturate about one pad for the entire day.

GL sweetie!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to do that (I also posted in 3rd tri so sorry for the double post) I really appreciate it and it is making me feel more comfortable about what lies ahead.

Thank you for sharing,

K xxx

Thanks for asking-- I am sort of getting nervous about my planned section next week, and reading the other ladies' stories and rehashing my own has calmed me down some. :)

I was so nervous I was shaking and in tears outside the theatre. I actually tried to back away, but they got two drs to slowly coerce me into the room. I didn't find the spinal hurt, as they numbed the area. I found the canula more uncomfortable. The actual procedure itself I didn't find painful. Felt slightly queasey, but I told them and they added something into the drip to stop it. It was a very strange sensation. Just tugging and pulling, but not painful. I was up after 3 hours, but my lo was very very poorly in nicu and they suggested I get up and go be with him. It hurt to move. To sit up, to cough, sneeze, go up stairs. I was very very sore until sat/sun (had c sec last mon) but mw said she had never seen bruising like it. It just stings now. I had the stitch removed on Monday, it didn't hurt, just a slight tugging, but over quickly. I did have to have my partner inject me once I left the hospital for a week after the op.

I wasn't remotely drowsy, completely aware of everything. I got quite shaky whilst they were stitching me and in recovery, but got told that's quite common.

My mum was with me the whole time, whilst they were doing the spinal, and during the op. I sent her out whilst I was in recovery to go see Joshua's daddy and tell him he'd been born.

Catheter was put in after spinal, didn't notice it. I loved it. You don't really feel it, gets a bit in the way if you're up and about. I was in nicu the whole time, so meant I didn't have to leave Joshua to go wee. I'd of never forgiven myself if he'd died whilst I was on the loo. Didn't really feel it coming out the following morning. Still feel a bit of pressure when I go wee which I think might be from it though.

I didn't have 'skin to skin' as Joshua was a little cold, but as soon as he was wrapped in a towel to keep warm, he passed to me to hold whilst they stitched me up. I just passed him to my mum when my shakes got really bad.

Unfortunately I can't answer as Joshua passed away aged 13 hours, but, about 2 hours after the op they showed me how to hand express and there was quite a lot, and had a lot of milk coming in up until the weekend when it's started to ease off.

I was walking the next morning, it was sore, but the more I walked, the easier it got. Just take it slow and don't rush anywhere.

In regards to the bleeding, I used maternity pads for the first 3 days whilst in hospital, didn't really need them by third day though, could of used normal pads. I found disposable maternity knickers a god send as they sit above your wound whilst I was still in hospital. I haven't bled since Friday now, still wearing 'Bridget jones' knickers so nothing rubs on my scar though as its still sore and healing. Let people do as much as they can for you. Take it easy, and if your hurt, stop. xx

Thank you all so much for sharing.

I'm especially happy to see that most of you are posting so soon after your operations and that your posts are very, very recent. This is helpful to know that such procedures are current and that this is likely what I will go through early next year.

I'm not allowed to edit my signature yet, but we look to start trying early this summer (june/july).

Thank you all very much again and I just wanted to say Lexi I am so so sorry for your loss - words can not describe how sorry. XXXX

I was terrified for the spinal, and shaking so much that the nurse had to sit in front of me and hold me while it was going in! It wasn't anything like I expected though and I hardly felt anything. They numbed me with something first. I don't remember feeling much at all.

I didn't notice any effect at all - I wasn't drowsy in the op. I was really sleepy the next day but that was maybe just all the stress and lack of sleep - I had to have an emergency section at 27 weeks.

Yes :)

No, they put it in after the spinal. It was really really weird not needing to pee! I was scared about what it would feel like coming back out but it wasn't sore at all, just a quick tug and it was out. I didn't even realise she'd taken it out!

I can't answer this one, as Sophie was taken straight away to NICU because she was so very early.

Again I can't answer this one but I did still breastfeed for 5 months even though Sophie was tube-fed expressed breastmilk for 9 weeks, so anything is possible!

I had to stay in bed the next day all day and was only allowed up to get into a wheelchair to go to NICU to meet Sophie, but I was up and walking about the day after that. It was painful getting out of bed but once I was up, it wasn't TOO bad - I had to go slowly though and I'm sure I was just about bent double :haha:

It was painful getting out of bed but once I was up, it wasn't TOO bad - I had to go slowly though and I'm sure I was just about bent double

Me, too. It was NOT fun, walking for the first time. But it IS really good for you to get up and do it as soon as they say you're ready. The sooner you do it, the sooner you'll start to recover. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->