Ladies with big dogs

MnGmakes3

Pregnant with #1
Reaction score
My boxer is about 75 lbs. He doesn't always snuggle with me but when he does he likes to climb and sit/lay in my lap. I make sure to push his butt off me but normally some (almost all) of him will find his way back on me :haha:
At what point (I'm 7 weeks tomorrow) do I no longer allow it? (Or is it just until i start to show and the belly gets harder)

I dont have big dogs, but my two little ones like to constantly walk all over me and jump on me. I started right from day one teaching them to not do that. The earlier you work on it with them the better. And even though my furbabies are no more than 15lbs, they still are rough on me. So i have been just telling them off and moving them to a spot where they can cuddle with me. They are slowly getting better at it.

That makes sense! Thanks :thumbup:
Dexter is very much attached to H so we'll both have to start teaching him to take it easy.

I've got 3 big dogs, I actually stopped my dogs going on the sofa when I found out about my LB. I think the more time you give the dog the better, it gives then plenty of time for training. Mine are all quite bouncy so I also worried about them landing on the baby :).

I've got 3 big dogs, I actually stopped my dogs going on the sofa when I found out about my LB. I think the more time you give the dog the better, it gives then plenty of time for training. Mine are all quite bouncy so I also worried about them landing on the baby :).

We just started saying no couch time anymore (i think it kills hubby more than the dog lol)
He's slowly starting to get it! Thanks :)

Yeah i find it easier to start early while you dont have to worry so much yet. That way it gives them plenty of time to get into a new habit. We are also teaching them to not play rough with their toys around us. I actually had to buy one of those play yards rather than a cosleeper for our bedroom as we have to keep it far away from our bed as we can. Our smallest dog likes to own anything she likes and make is her bed. Typical min pin behaviour. So my fear is her climbing in with baby during the night. So we decided to do that instead as we dont want to lock her up or anything. But for a lot of snuggle time and play time we are teaching them how to be gentle.

How olds your boxer? I found I also had to restrict the number of dog toys and when their allowed them, for example they don't get squeaky toys :).

How olds your boxer? I found I also had to restrict the number of dog toys and when their allowed them, for example they don't get squeaky toys :).

He'll be 2 in August. Definitely loves his squeaky toys. I'll have to invest in some that are squeakerless.

Lol same here as my two love squeaker toys

Found this thread really helpful, thank you ladies :D

I have a labrador who is nearly a year old but of course still very young and bouncy, and quite big! I've been teaching him to sleep off the bed because definitely didn't want that with the baby but next step is the sofa. I've tried to start it as early as possible to give him as much time as we can to adapt before a teeny tiny human comes in to his life!

x

I have a big mix-breed dog and I have been attempting to teach her to keep off furniture since I found out as she also loves cuddles. She mostly remembers, but we still have moments where she will fling her upper half of her body onto the bed in the morning to wake me up. She has also become quite clingy with me and it was weird yesterday when we were swimming, she kept swimming around me and not leaving me alone (usually she just sticks to the shore and waits for someone to throw a stick). We have been trying to get her to be more happy spending time outside when we are at home, and she is slowly relaxing about that separation now. Dogs huh!

My dog is quite big (22kg) and is always up on the sofa with us. I don't think we are going to stop him coming up as he always waits to be invited up. He has his own chair at the window that he likes to sit on. I am a bit worried about the baby and dog hair - our dog casts a lot, to the point that we need go sweep the floors 2x a day and Hoover the carpets every day. There are literally dog hairs everywhere - he is semi long haired (German shepherd border collie cross) so there isn't much we can do to stop it. I don't know if this is safe for baby? Obviously the dog won't be near babies bed etc.

I've got a big dog (112 pounds) and a smaller one (60 pounds), and neither of them are allowed on the furniture or in the bed with us. Thankfully, the big one is getting too old to jump up on me much anymore. Not that he does, usually, but he likes to dance if I'm shaking my booty while doing housework! :lol:

I have 2 huge dogs and I've been reading a great book to help get them prepared. It covers all sorts of things I hadn't even thought about and includes baby related noises to help prepare your dogs for the changes in their environment. It's called Tell Your a Dog You're Pregnant by Lewis Kirkham.

I have 2 huge dogs and I've been reading a great book to help get them prepared. It covers all sorts of things I hadn't even thought about and includes baby related noises to help prepare your dogs for the changes in their environment. It's called Tell Your a Dog You're Pregnant by Lewis Kirkham.

Great tip. Thanks!!

Ill have a go at the book, I have 2 giant breed 50kg dogs, one I know will be fine with the babies the other I have worried about since finding out I am pregnant as she is very very loving, inquisitive but jumpy as im terrified at her jumping at me holding the babies.

Mine have never been allowed on furniture though so don't have to worry about that, but babies will be in moses baskets on the floor etc which is where my worry is coming from.

Same here. I have one that I know will be fine, but I've been worried about the other one from the moment I found out. I'm hoping with some pre-planning I can prepare him for the big adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->