Landlord wont fix the house

TaylorsMummyx

Reaction score
Do we've been here three years, and we only moved in because it was cheap.
The landlord is a private. Anyway the windows are letting alot of breeze and cold in, there old double glazed. The kitchen front and back door leak water majorly if it rains. The front door has a small gap underneth where we have to put a towel down. And now theres an major attack of mould in our bedroom and bathroom. Also starting in kids bedrooms. The bathroom is awful, has an mdf board as a bath pannel.
Anyway when we moved in we needed a house asap as I was heavy pregnant and was leaving parents house.

Also while lying in bed you can feel a breeze coming from window :/, and I think the mould is making me cough.
Iv spoken to landlord but he woykd rather get his money then help. I'm sick n tired of being so cold even with heating on, I'm suprised my babies are not ill :( what would you do?

I would contact Environmental Health regarding the mould. They can send someone out and note down all your problems. They can give you a statement of things they think he should change, if your Landlord doesn't listen then I suggest contacting CAB and see if there is any way they can help. I know they do deal with housing but not sure exactly what

https://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_family/home_and_neighbourhood_index_ew.htm

Sounds like our house, we have mold and damp in our bedroom and we told them a few months ago and they still haven't fixed it so my OH has rang our local council and they are going to come out and have a look at it and then get intouch with the landlord. Hope you get everything sorted soon.
Lauren

Our landlord is very much lije this too. He offerd cheap rent but dosnt upkeep the houses so you get mold windows that dont shut things like yours. He thinks take it or leave it and we would if we could.

My old landlord was like that. I moved out in the end as I found it too stressful. Go to the CAB and get advice and call Environmental Health too!

I hate landlords like this :grr:

Move out :shrug: You say yourself that you moved in there because you needed somewhere to move to quickly... but you're now in the situation where you can start looking around for somewhere else to live.

Mould is quite common this time of the year, we have a pretty water tight house but still suffer. If they are internal walls it's most like due to lifestyle and the time of the year than fault with the property. We wash the effected areas down daily with a mild thin bleach solution and that does the trick and open the windows when we can, especially after cooking and bathing.

Theres not much that can be done about the windows, plenty of properties still have old single glazed windows, our neighbours for example which is currently up for rent. We also suffer in the downstairs hallway with cold and drafts as the porch isn't insulated and theres a cat flap but we don't have a cat. there's no regulation that says it has to be sorted. Just plenty of draft excluder tape and door sausages. Sound like the voice of doom compared to other posts I'm afraid!

TBH I'd just move if you can, having the hassle of sorting out new tenants and possibly no one living there for a few months would be enough to annoy your LL!

Good luck xxx

You can go to the council..Back in 2003 I lived in a rented flat, the bathroom room fell in and the LL refused to fix it. I actually had a paddling pool in the bathroom to catch the rain water. Then my boiler got condemned and he refused to fix it.
The council came out and declared it not livable or something and set it in motion to get me out..however the LL got wind of this so decided to evict me..I ended up having to go to court and get evicted and then was house in a B&B for 6 weeks, a temporary flat for 12mths and then was given a council house.
So whilst it would be easier to look for a new place, sometimes finances mean you cant. If thats the case the council should be your first place to go for help..shelter is helpful to even just for advice..

id move out tbh, i wouldnt stay somewhere if i had so many problems with the landlord when they couldnt full a finger out but expect rent!x

Where I used to live we had black mold(a dangerous type) that grew in the walls at first from a leaky pipe. Made the landlord aware, he did nothing. My husband and I got very sick all the time. I called our health department who said there was no ordinance in my city for black mold, and that there was nothing they would do to help! We ended up moving shortly after even though we did not have the money to do so. Sometimes tenants seem to have no rights.

if you are Uk based then the Shelter website can advise on a range of landlord issues.

Legaly you can with hold rent... we just threatend our landlord with that last week because we have been waiting for a new boiler since April and we are now getting it next friday as the threat of no money was enough to kick his butt into gear... speak to CAB or a legal aid lawyer thats what we done

Witholding rent can depend on your country/region. In my province here in Canada, it is not legal to do that, although there is a popular misconception that it is.
I think the advice to get as educated on your rights as possible is very good. I hope you are able to get some changes. Otherwise, I would not waste my energy flogging a dead horse. I would enjoy another huge benefit of being a renter: your mobility. You can get out there as soon as you are able to find a suitable new place. Don't waste your energy on the slumlord.

Unfortunately in the UK it isn't the Landlord's responsibility to make sure that the house is energy efficient and warm :( ... In fact it's not even their legal duty to provide a form of heating, just a hot water supply (and even if that breaks down they only have to fix it within a 'reasonable' period - whatever the hell that means).

In the case of new boilers and black mould the local Environmental Health will get involved if the problem is potentially life threatening, but not in the majority of cases :nope:

BUT :happydance: I have a solution for you in terms of making the house warmer etc ... https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Enviro...Energyandwatersaving/Energygrants/DG_10018661

They will insulate, draughtproof, install central heating if you have none and can convert an open fire into a glass fronted one up to a cost of £3500 ... no cost to you or your landlord :D .....Ignore the bit about income related benefits - you are eligible because you have a child under 5 living with you :thumbup:

i would contact enviromental health about the mould hun thats bad
is your Oh any good at d.i.y my oh silicone sealered all round our windows and it got rid of all drafts also he taped some of the windows up just put duct or gaffer tape all along the joins etc worked a treat :)
like a pp said its not landlords responsibility to make the property draft proof

Legaly you can with hold rent...

Don't withhold your rent, your LL is then legally allowed to evict you...
go to the local housing get them to do a private housing assessment, mine did house ended up having 54 major issues windows doing not effective being one mold and damp another, your landlord then has 6 weeks to start carrying out the works. or council should attempt to re home you...
im now suing my old LL along with my local housing as they have moved me into a house that's worse and both my daughters have now suffered lung damage..
don't let LL get away with it x

i had a problem in my old place i rented with the windows having gaps and being so cold even with the heating on. if you go into B&Q they do this stuff which is like cling film but u stick it over your windows then use a hairdryer to make it tight. so if u put it all the way across the windows effected then use hairdryer it will keep alot of the chill out. only down side is u wont be able to open the windows unless u break the sheeting.
i hope you get it sorted go to citizens advice aswell they helped us loads

xx

we moved into our current apartment in July. Within a week of moving the bathroom ceiling over the tub fell in. From water damage and mold. It took over a month of me calling and finally calling the health inspector for them to fix it. The landlord fixed the pipe and put Dry wall over the hole. It doesnt leak anymore, but its sad i had to do that. The next step after that would of been putting my rent in escrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->