"Last Meal" advice?

I had Chinese food the night before and I was find during labor. I didnt eat before I went to my dr appt though (when they saw my bp was through the roof and broke my waters at 3cm) so I was starvinggggg during labor. But seriously Im convinced Chinese food is what made my baby come out! I ate until I couldnt eat anymore and then kept eating even though I could barely eat anymore. I wanted baby to have nowhere else to go but out... well it worked!! Had him at 40+1 :)

The second I walked in the hospital doors (I was induced) I was craving a BK stacker. So, against the (very vehement) wishes of the nurse, DH went out and got me one. I told her I wasn't having a C-section so it didn't matter. :haha:

Eat what you want. It will allllll come out right before you go into labor anyway. :blush:

I would advise staying away from ham sandwiches and apple juice... :haha:

Although, it was probably too late (I was in hospital for 2 1/2 days being induced before I ate this) to be eating...

Of course, I didn't have my puke dish, and no one (nurse, OH and my mom had left the room for a while cuz nothing was going on) was in the room with me... so vommied all over myself, the bed and it even went on the floor at the end of the bed :haha:

I would say, eat something light, but full of protein to help you through! :thumbup:

Just FYI, when you go into active labor, odds are everything is going to come back up at some point anyway. Let's just say that your body evacuates everything to make room. Sticking to easily digestible and hydrating foods here, LOL.

Hmm after reading this, I think I'll stick to something soft and easy to throw up then lol! :haha:

Porridge or pasta in the early stages was suggested at my birth prep class then lucozade type drinks for later with lollies or sweets to suck for later in labour.

I don't get why some hospitals won't let you eat?! what if you were in labour for a long time? I would say its better to eat little and often of long lasting high energy foods, like complex carbs etc

Also I wasn't sick and didn't feel sick at all so don't not eat because you're worried about throwing up, lots of people don't

Thanks so much for the suggestions--keep them coming :)

The nurse pretty much said the not eating policy was an archaic rule that the hospital just had not gotten rid of yet. But for someone with a fairly high metabolism who is used to eating lots of frequent, small meals spending 12+ hours with no food is a good way to make me pass out under normal circumstances.

I am told that the hospital allows ice and popcicles...

I threw up everything from evening meal the day before labour until after she was born.

I'm pretty sure they can advise you not to eat during labour, but no one can say your not allowed as that would be against your basic human rights.

I managed a bit of chicken pie and mash potato just before we set off to the hospital (arrived at 7cm). I wasn't really hungry at that point but my OH and his Mum seemed to be in denyal I think so they just got on with making dinner as ususal! I had just eaten what I normally liked up until that point.

I know one thing I won't be eating anywhere near to my due date is cabbage rolls! A friend of mine is of Polish descent and her mom made a huge batch of cabbage rolls one night...so friend decided to eat EIGHT! Sure enough, she went into labour the next morning and had an epidural so she could not control her bowels...she was cleaned up 3 times by the nurses and one actually commented that she would likely never be able to eat cabbage rolls again :haha: I would be mortified!

i ate something spicy lol! but i did all week trying to induce labour. i didnt give birth for nearly 24 hours later though so glad a had a proper meal as i didnt eat my whole labour.

I can't remember my last meal :haha: The moment I went into labour, my appetite vanished. I remember forcing myself to eat cereal, and the hospital tried to make me eat toast ( didn't want to take cocadomol (sp) on an empty stomach) but I just couldn't (I chucked the cocadomol in the bin lol).

My advice would be to eat what you fancy (within reason!) If you dont fancy eating any of the high carb recommended stuff, then don't. You might as well enjoy your last meal :haha:

I never had a clear out, nor did I puke after my roast dinner. I only pooed while pushing, so everyone's different, don't let people's stories of throwing up their food stop you from eating something while you're in labour.

And mmmmm, flapjack, might have to make some very soon!

I cant really remember what i had. I think it was a jacket potato and cheese though. That was just before my waters went because i had dinner, had a shower then got into bed. Then my waters went (typical!). After that i ate a few sweets. After Erin was born i was sooo hungry and unbelievably thirsty! I ate loads of toast and cereal bars and crisps and drank about a litre. I was never sick and im told i didnt poo either.

I intend on eating a bowl of cereal, a yoghurt and a piece of fruit before I leave for the hospital. I am taking 2 bottles of water, oranges and some sweets to the Hospital with me to suck or chew on :D

I went out to dinner with my DH and some good friends at a favorite Japanese restaurant when I hit 40 weeks, 3 days later she came

i know when i first went in labor with my son @ 28wks i was eating some chicken and veggie soup and just got the feeling like i couldn't eat anymore, and puked once i got out the door to head to the hospital and puked more later on that evening @ the hospital :(

lol dont eat while u are in labor because u will be throwing up and shittin from when u get in the hospital lol :) its so true

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->