"Last Meal" advice?

Verse

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to eat before heading off to the hospital for the big day? At our childbirth preparation class the nurse was advising everyone to try and stay home for a while in early labor and pointed out that since we would not be allowed to eat at the hospital that we should try and eat something before coming in. Just looking for ideas of things to put on (and keep off!) the menu... Thanks!

Why wouldn't you be allowed to eat at the hospital?? You'll be encouraged to keep your energy levels up, some labours can go on for days!

Lol well i would say stay away from curry and anythiing spicy (for obdvious reasons) ;) but to be honest when i was sent home after going in to be checked after waters broke i didnt have an appetite when it came to eating i cooked myself a big pizza at 1am had one bite and was sick :( and watched other half eat the lot dont know if this is common ?!?

Something high in protein. For ds1 I ate a ton of yogurt and peanut butter sandwiches before going in. At our hospital you are not allowed to eat once you get there, not until baby is born.

I had biscuits and chocolate during labour. Not a meal I know but did help with energy.
I would go for plain meals, nothing creamy or spicy. And something light too. Maybe a pasta dish? Or something plain on toast?

All I will say is dont eat a buffalo chicken sandwhich lol.

I had sweet chilli noodles with chicken at the start of my labour, i got to the hospital and was sick as soon as i had the gas and air. Needless to say it looked and smelt gross and i won't be having that at the start of labour next time!! :haha:

once in labour i wasn't hungry i was to excited then when i got into full blown labour i was too sick and tired to eat :(

I came home after my check after my waters broke and had a jacket potato but could only eat half I was feeling very sick didnt have much of an appetite.

Well, I am planning on having a huge salad with spinach, tons of veggies, nuts, cheese, and chicken! Also, lots of fruit as that always does the trick for me as far as energy is concerned! And as far as not being allowed to eat in the hospital, that is true where I am from...you are only allowed ice chips, but I am thinking that I might try and sneak in something, maybe fruit or even granola bars because if my labor with our daughter is as long as it was with our son, I will starve.

I had a roast dinner :lol: (I went into labour and gave birth on a Sunday) I felt it gave me enough energy to get through labour, also at the hospital I was eating Chomps and Wispa Golds, mmmmmm.... The choc certainly helped me :)

I'd heard about so many people that were in labour for days and starving so I was determind to have a good feed before going in and ordered myself a chinese :rofl: It took aaages to come though and my contractions were getting stronger but I managed to wolf down half of it before we went to the hospital but when I got there I felt really sick and had a really upset stomach (might just have been the clearout though) and after being in the pool for a bit and some gas and air projectile vomited all over myself, the pool, midwife and OH so don't think I would recommend that lol.

The best meal you can have is one high in protein and complex carbs - so plenty of wholegrain. This will really help keep your energy levels up
This is then usually toppped up by lots of sweet fixes through the labour!

mmm warm flapjacks.... (or flapjack mix scraped out of the bowl!!)

I think the 'not eating' rule is a precaution is US hospitals due to the high c sec rates.

I had a McDonalds because I needed to eat there and then! lol

i was cooking dinner when i started feeling like something might be happening...we finished cooking dinner, ate, cleaned up, went for a walk and i went into labor. my "last meal" was salmon burgers. once in labor i ate a banana and an apple, and drank juice and water. i had a short 7 hours from the onset of true labor (after dinner that night) to her birth. After she was born i ate lots of yogurt and granola and cheese. protein is great for labor and fruit/juice kinds of things for some sugar energy helped me too :)

I had oatmeal. I had it just as I was going into active labour. If you are already in active labour, small snacks are better because some people do get sick. Eat when you feel like it. Most of the time, apetite goes away during the later part of labour so have something ready for afterwards. I had a banana milkshake to bring back some energy. You'll want something to give you energy afterwards because it isn't a good idea to sleep before you urinate and it took me about 6 hours to go.

Eat like you are about to run a marathon! So complex carbs and protein.

Unfortunately many hospitals stop you from eating "just in case" you need operative delivery - talk about setting you up for a fail, eh?! Maybe sneak in some small snacks so you don't get exhausted, or put it in your birth plan that you insist on being able to eat and drink during labour and organise it beforehand. You would never be expected to go without energy and hydration doing that amount of physical work in any other circumstances, it's ridiculous. Many folk swear by sports drinks like powerade as well to get them through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->