Last names/Birth certificate?

I gave my first child his fathers last name and I regret it now. We didn't stay together and I much would've rather used my last name. I'm now married and when I get phone calls from the school, they assume I have my sons last name. I have to correct them everytime.

I gave my first child his fathers last name and I regret it now. We didn't stay together and I much would've rather used my last name. I'm now married and when I get phone calls from the school, they assume I have my sons last name. I have to correct them everytime.

Thats what I worried about. However I have my dads last name and I prefer it that way. My mum briefly changed it to her new husbands name (for school purposes) but I changed it back when I was a teenager.

Just found this, thought you might find it interesting (I didn't know about registering marriage with the registrar of births!?).

If a child is born out of marriage and the parents later marry, they must inform the Registrar of Births within three months of the date of marriage. They must request that the Registrar General re-register the birth. The Registrar General may at any time authorise the re-registration of the birth. If he authorises the re-registration, the name by which the child was registered may be altered. The Registrar General will issue a certificate to allow the Registrar of Births holding the registration of the birth to amend their records.

So it doesn't seem very hard to do it legally at all. I think the problems occur if you were married to the baby father when s/he was born as then you need the fathers permission to change the babys name (think that's what I was thinking of originally).

https://www.desktoplawyer.co.uk/dt/browse/law/index.cfm?fuseaction=ViewContent&sid=75922&aid=34960

I guess what it comes down to is you should weight out the possibilities and figure out what is most important to you. I think regardless of whether my parents stayed together or not, I'd still like to have had my fathers last name, but thats just me. Good Luck with your decision!

I've been with my now husband for 10 years and we only got married after i'd had my first 3. My eldest has my maiden name and the other 3 have a double barraled name. My thought has always been that i gave birth and carried them so they will all have my name in there.
As my eldest son just has mine we could've changed it by deed poll but it makes him special as he's the last carrying the family name on.

Hope that makes sense lol :)

I have personal experience of this. If you give your child your surname and then get married as long as the father is on the birth certificate you get forms from the registras office and simply re-register the childs name in their fathers name. I have just it with my sons. They had my maiden name and now have their fathers name on the BC as I changed it. That is the correct information as of June 2008 hun xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->