Latch help

I dont understand! I have size Fs and I dont have to hold with 2 hands through the feed! Just to latch. After reading this I was trying to pay attention, I guess I didnt notice I do this until I thought about it but I hold with my first 2 fingers pull back just behind the nipple and as LO is latching on I flip both his lips up with the same 2 fingers. I started doing it slowly in the beginning and I must have gotten used to doing it quicker as we have gone on! I wish I could show you. It will get easier! And as others have said if it doesnt hurt, it isnt a problem

I am not sure if you can view this, but even though she seems a bit rough, it is similar to the technique I use. If you watch her she flips her LOs lip up with her thumb before she latches tightly. It definately takes some coordination!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_U5BM6L9F8!

i have to hold through the feed to keep boob out of LO nose if were not using a nursing cushion, if we are using 1 then we can sometimes get away with not holding but more often than not still have to hold, i have over supply so my boobs are always big and round, so whichever way LO latches on there is always lots of boob that is stuffing into her face which i have to hold back.

yikes that woman seems pretty harsh with her LO! those shaped boobs look perfect for breastfeeding tho! im hoping my supply will eventually work itself out and they will become less hard and round so i dont have to pull my boob out of the way. xxxx

Even if you have oversupply and large cushiony boobs; there are ways to position yourself so that you don't have to hold your boob out of the way-trust me I am an H cup and in the same position even now (my supply never settled) xx

Even if you have oversupply and large cushiony boobs; there are ways to position yourself so that you don't have to hold your boob out of the way-trust me I am an H cup and in the same position even now (my supply never settled) xx

Exactly this! Summer you always put things well. I have all of the above and once I get him positioned I can some times even take both hands off to eat or type. I think you just have to keep playing with things and watching the videos if those help you.

im sure it will get easier as i get more confident and as we get used to BF, its only been 4 weeks, im hoping to BF for 2 years, more if LO still wants too, so 4 weeks of awkwardness so far is nothing compared to how long il be breastfeeding. it will eventually just be a memory to giggle at when i think back to how awkward it all was at first lol!

first 3 weeks i needed to hold every time, now i can sometimes manage to hold LO on the nursing pillow and not hold boob, i did manage to do it 0 hands yesterday evening, she was on her nursing pillow and latched on great and was able to breath without inhaling boob lol i think it was more to do with the way i was sitting tho, maybe i need to sit more upright when i feed to keep boob away from her nose. xxx

Chichestermum I found that if I tuck LO chest into me and slide him down or to the side. So if he Is nursing on my left side in a cradle hold, I pull his body to the right so his feet are more under my right arm. This way you are tucking his chin in all the way to the breast, opening the throat up, and opening the space between the chin and the chest. The nose opens right up. Another tip found on dr Jack newmans site!

LO has been nursing every hour tday so iv got to practice lots and try out new ways :) found out that its ridiculously comfortable to lounge back in the corner of the couch, 1 leg curled up on the couch the other (same side as nursing) bent up so that i could rest LOs bum on my knee with both legs on the inside and then lay her on my chest and latch on, i was able to keep my boob out of her nose that way! i was very impressed :) comfy easy and i got to cuddle my LO and stroke her hair :D
il be trying out your cradle hold next feed, sounds easy enough! im just all fingers and thumbs still when it comes to moving her around lol xxx

LO has been nursing every hour tday so iv got to practice lots and try out new ways :) found out that its ridiculously comfortable to lounge back in the corner of the couch, 1 leg curled up on the couch the other (same side as nursing) bent up so that i could rest LOs bum on my knee with both legs on the inside and then lay her on my chest and latch on, i was able to keep my boob out of her nose that way! i was very impressed :) comfy easy and i got to cuddle my LO and stroke her hair :D
il be trying out your cradle hold next feed, sounds easy enough! im just all fingers and thumbs still when it comes to moving her around lol xxx

Isn't it freakin awesome when you find a comfy postition?! :)
Its not all your fault/lack of skill... newborns are floppy darn it! :haha: They get better and actually help you out later on.
Then you get a whole host of fun other things to deal with (them grabbing a fist-ful of boob and twisting, lol!)

It takes some getting used to! I am so excited about BFing the next one. Hopefully it will take some of the challenge out of those first few days, actually having an idea of how to do things! I might even get a little more sleep! Great job chestermum getting comfy. I am sure that being comfortable has a huge impact on how long women BF for and if they enjoy the experience of course.

:happydance: im so happy :) been comfy all day! which has been fab because the last few days it was starting to become a horrible time as LO was wanting to be fed sooo much with her reflux, today her reflux has been super bad, shes been sick twice as much but iv not been hesitant in putting her on the boob because its been so comfy! especially since i get time to chill and lay back too! i think if we stick to this super comfy position then i probably will never want to give up BF LO lol il be 1 of those programmes in 6 yeas time haha someone asking why i still BF and me saying because i get to have a chill and some time to relax and have an excuse not to do the hoovering up! haha! i didnt think our latch was hurting before but i must of got used to any discomfort because i could tell a real difference today! im so ridiculously happy! can you tell haha!

Darlingme i tried tucking her right in whilst cradle holding this evening, it didnt work out very well, we still couldnt get a good latch holding that way without the nursing pillow, which is a shame as i really want to be able to nurse more discreet in public! and my other breast had a major let down because there was baby touching it, by the time i noticed (silly breast milk being same temp as body so you dont feel it leaking grrr!) we were both soaked through, the sofa cushions were soaked and i had to pass a very upset and hungry baby to OH whilst i undressed, then took LOs clothes off and we both had to jump in a quick shower to rinse us off, she was trying so hard to latch on whilst we were standing in the shower, she must of swallowed so much shower water, i dread to think how much! must of eased her reflux tho as her feed after that was at 6 and she fell straight asleep afterwards propped up in the nursing pillow and hasnt fidgeted or cried in pain or anything that she usually does! shes still fast asleep! and lately shes only been sleeping for between 30 mins an hour whilst were downstairs!
hopefully the more we try the easier it will be, her nose was clear tho! just couldnt get a proper latch lol!

Lisaf, the floppyness is so annoying! lol! i cant remember my eldest being so floppy! tho i cant remember my eldest being this small (they grow so fast!) so probably something to with that! lol! i keep on getting LOdressed and telling her to push her arm through the hole before realising that she cant lol! xxxxx

You will figure it out! Sorry it didn't work, it is hard to explain & probably do without a visual! atleast she got some sleep!:haha: as long as you can both get comfortable. It will happen!

You will figure it out! Sorry it didn't work, it is hard to explain & probably do without a visual! atleast she got some sleep!:haha: as long as you can both get comfortable. It will happen!

yea im sure we will get it eventually. she slept for hours after her shower drinking! maybe thats the cure for reflux, torture your baby by offering a boob that they cant quite latch onto whilst at the same time covering there bottom half in the very milk they want to drink and then make them drink shower water instead haha! i think id rather just cuddle her to sleep lol! cant stop laughing about it today tho! especially when OH told MIL the story and she was cringing at the fact that milk came out of my boobs and soaked me, baby and the couch haha! xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->