Laura's Easy Peasey OPK Guide

laurac1988

Mummy to Eden
Reaction score
I noticed a fair bit of opk confusion around, so I figured I would share with you ladies the mini guide I wrote. I am not an expert, and everything I posted on here is from experience not from medical knowledge or such - I'm not a medical professional. Hope this helps!

For an OPK to be positive, the test line needs to be the same or darker than the control line, an easy way to remember which is which, is that the control line is closest to the handle and the test line is closest to the bit you pee on. This is the same in all OPK tests.

Here's some pictures of + and - OPKs

https://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q568/lauracostello1988/0873e9c0c7509676b27654c15cdbb680_zpscdeba852.jpg

https://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q568/lauracostello1988/96d7550a9ae861cee3eb1c9aecbc3f9e_zps668a76c2.jpg

When Will I Ovulate?
A + opk indicates that you will ovulate within 12-48 hours. Sometimes your body gears up to ovulate and then you don't, so sometimes you will get more than one LH surge (which is what causes +opk) in a cycle. ALSO some ladies do get a +opk without actually ovulating. This is quite common with conditions such as PCOS. If no success after a few cycles with OPKs, try temping as well to confirm ovulation from a temp rise.

How long does a +opk last?

A +opk is caused by a surge of a hormone called Luteinizing hormone (LH, also known as lutropin and sometimes lutrophin). Basically this stimulates your ovaries to release an egg.my LH surges usually last about 24-36 hours, but some ladies have an LH surge as short as four hours. Both are perfectly normal. This is why, in my opinion, it is important to test more than once a day.

When should I test?
The packets usually say do not test first thing in the morning. This is because LH takes some time to appear in the urine. However,mi find OPKs are just as effective if taken first thing in the morning. I take one morning and early evening. Close to ovulation (when they start getting darker) I may take one in the middle of the day too.

When Is The Best Time To BD?
This is different for everyone. In the sperm donation world it is generally accepted that +opk day 1 is the best time for a donation. +opk day 2 is fine too. BUT if you are BDing and have other half on tap, I would BD every day once the OPKs are positive. Really there is no foolproof method, and what works for some may not work for others. But generally a dark or positive OPK means ovulation is near.

Help! I never get a positive!
This is not a big deal. Some ladies just don't get a positive. After a few cycles you will notice whether there is a pattern in your OPKs. Many ladies see a darkening around ovulation and then a lightening. This doesn't mean you don't ovulate. If you don't get positives, either follow the pattern of the darkening, or try it combined with temping to confirm ovulation by a temp rise.

Can an OPK detect pregnancy?
Yes. An OPK can also pick up HCG, the pregnancy hormone, however, it is more likely to be detected on a high sensitivity test such as a FRER before an OPK. Plus, some women do have an LH surge just before AF, and thus OPKs are not an accurate way to test for pregnancy.

This will definitely help everyone with those difficult to read lh sticks. I much prefer the digital ones now.

U will actually O 2-36 hours after a POS OPK.
Even when u do O some women will still experience getting POS OPK's for up to a week even tho they have already O'd.
The reason u aren't meant to test with FMU is because we ALWAYS have the LH in our system in the mornings nd it will slow disappear, once u r close to Oing is when u will get ur "true" positive.
As far as getting a pos opk when pregnant that isn't the case as they r detecting 2 different hormones. Nd if a lady does get a POS OPK it's shear coincidence

No. OPKs can detect HcG as they are from the same hormone group. It is only true on an opk not a pregnancy test. But of course the only way to confirm pregnancy is a pregnancy test, all an OPK will confirm is the presence of EITHER LH or HCG.

We do always have LH in our system but it is not in a higher concentration in the morning. They say not to use FMU as LH generally builds throughout the day. However I have had positives int he morning that have stayed positive all day, and I have never had a strong FMU positive that hasn't turned out to be a true positive.

We will agree to disagree, I am in the medical profession nd deal with fertility nd pregnancy daily.

https://peestickparadise.com/opk_as_hpt.html

Just sharing

Most websites on Dr Google aren't reliable, they tell u wot u want to hear cause we r all desperate for our much wanted baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->