Leaking amniotic fluid at 23 weeks

malia

Trying for #2
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with leaking amniotic fluid and what that might mean for me? I've have had a constant trickling of fluid for some time and had dismissed it as discharge, thinking it was normal. Today, I went to the maternity ward because I had some blood streaked discharge, and they had a look at my cervix and told me that there was a substantial amount of fluid, making them think it was my waters. However, the test they did to see if it was amniotic fluid or not came back negative. The nurse was not convinced by this. They have now sent me home but I'm going back in the morning for a scan to check the baby's fluid levels.

Does this indicate early labour? How dangerous is it? the nurses were so vague, I have no idea about how worried I should be!

If you're leaking it means there is a tear in the sac. It could heal on its own or may not. After the scan I'm sure they will talk to you more about it. It can be a scary situation and they were probably vague since they weren't sure yet.

I'll be following you and hope that it was a true negative!

If you're leaking it means there is a tear in the sac. It could heal on its own or may not. After the scan I'm sure they will talk to you more about it. It can be a scary situation and they were probably vague since they weren't sure yet.

I'll be following you and hope that it was a true negative!

Thank you. Hopefully it will heal on its own if there is a tear. He definitely has more baking to do :( I feel like an idiot for letting this go on for so long, but I'm at FTM and don't know what is normal and what isn't.

It's not your fault, there are so many weird things in pregnancy it's difficult to know what's normal and what isn't. I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight and that all goes well for the scan in the morning. Take it easy!

I really don't know how high the chance of it healing is. I assume it depends on the tear. I saw someone go through this last time I was pregnant. Hers never healed and she was monitored at the hospital. They tried to keep LO in as long as possible but the risk of infection is a concern. She delivered quite early and I believe it was due to infection.

How are you doing this morning? Just wanted to wish you all the best for today :hug:

Thanks so much :)
We had our scan and the fluid levels look normal. So happy. Baby is measuring a little small, but within the normal range. I was preparing myself for the worst so very happy to be told everything looks fine.

That must be a massive relief! So glad it all went well.

That's so great!! Will they do be doing anything further or believe you're in the clear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->