Leaking - could it be constipation?

kirstybumx3

Mum to two boys, R&N
Reaction score
Four days in a row now Rio has leaked loose stools into his underwear. A couple of times he's also wet himself too!
I got really cross with him the first time, I know I probably shouldn't have but he didn't even tell me he had done it, we were out with no change of clothes and by the time it was noticed it was so dried on it was impossible to clean him up! Since it's happened more than once I realised he gets really embarrassed about it and after speaking to him about it he says he isn't doing it on purpose and he doesn't strain to do it, it just comes out. But when I ask him if he needs a poo he says no and when we have sat on the toilet and tried he can't go. I feel so sorry for him, I don't want him to feel bad about it but at the same time I need to find out what the cause is and stop it. He hasn't been to the toilet for an actual poo for about a week now.
Is it worth taking him to the doctors tomorrow? Or is it something I can solve at home, if so how?

Yep, overflow is common when constipated and difficult to control. Often can cause problems with the bladder as well so likely the cause of the issues with that too. Prunes, Apple and pear juice as well as a high fibre diet are a home remedy to help clear it out. But if he hasn't gone in over a week the stool will most likely be quite hard and cause him some discomfort when he actually passes it. He will most likely need a laxative that softens the stool such as lactulose. Personally if advise a GP visit if you can. If not, warm baths, plenty fruit juice and water, limit dairy intake and increase fibre in his diet. Hope he's OK xxx

Thank you! I rang the doctors for an appointment this morning but they are really busy so receptionist had the GP call me instead. He's given a prescription for lactulose so I've got to go and collect that this morning. Fingers crossed it works!

It is good stuff and usually works quickly. It's also more gentle than other stuff like movicol which clears them out rapidly. Just enure he has plenty water and try to limit dairy for a few days to keep his stools soft. xx

Sounds like it could be constipation. If it's been a while it could be impacted in the bowel and poo is leaking out around it. Used to happen to my DD a lot and can cause them to wee as well as it can press on the bladder. Hopefully the Lactulose will help :hugs:

How's your little guy doing? x

The lactulose has been a miracle solution! We had another accident on the night time after his first dose, but the morning after he managed to do a small pebble on the toilet so I gave him another dose and by the evening he had done a (sorry tmi) HUGE poop in the toilet so must have been really backed up! He went to the toilet last night no problem and we haven't had a wee accident since either. Definitely great stuff to have in the medicine cupboard. Thanks for asking about him. X

I'm so glad that the lactulose has helped :)

awe great stuff. Glad to hear it worked and he's better xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"