Leaking in pregnancy... keep ??

Ann-Marie

I adore my 3 children !!!
Reaction score
I was just thinking today....
I always start to leak loads in the last few weeks of pregnancy. Would it be an idea to keep it rather than let it soak a pad ?? Is it the 'gold top' (colostrum) that you produce just after giving birth, or is it no good??
Just a thought :)

I have heard that you should only keep milk that you either express or collect from one breast whilst feeding from the other, not quite sure why this is though. I'm guessing it's because leaking milk is only foremilk and not hindmilk, which of course doesn't apply to colostrum. However, if you did collect colostrum during the last few weeks of pregnancy, most of the beneficial cells are destroyed by freezing so there wouldn't be much point anyway. Never really thought about it before though!

hmmm... couldn't find anything on google either.

https://www.babycenter.com/400_can-...dex=10&questionId=855244&ownerId=165082840100

actually... just found this... conflicting, but mostly no's

I was gonna say no, I think the makeup of the pregnancy breast milk leakage is prep stuff, in other workds baby is producing hormones which causes practice lactation in those last few weeks. Some women leak this some don't.

I've heard that the makeup of this fluid is really good to prep the nipples for BF'ing, and not really nutrutional as that change in breastmilk occurs during labor and shortly after.

I just use any leakage as an 'ointment' so to speak for my nipples. Keeps them from getting itchy and I'm not letting it go to waste :):blush:

Exactly what Margerle said.
The colostrum is produced after baby is born, the change in hormones causes that.
Small amounts of breast milk are great for nipples as it nourishes the skin as well as babies!
Also a few drops of milk expressed and rubbed on nipples before feeds encourages baby to open wide and get a good latch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->