Leaking Nipples & Breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Leanne&Bump..x, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Leanne&Bump..x

Leanne&Bump..x Mam of Karl & a Pup x

Thinking over this, it sounds really childish, but im a first timer and really worried!
    When my mam had me, my brother and sister she was unable to breastfeed.. If my nipples dont leak will that mean i am unable to breastfeed? Or will there be a higher chance that i cant because my mam cudnt? Sorry for how childish this sounds, i just have my heart set on breastfeeding but havent had any leaks or anything? :hug: Thanks x

2. cheryl

cheryl mum of 3 +1 mc

When i had my other 2 children I didn't start to leak until they were born. when my son was born at 33 weeks I had to express the milk and I was only getting a few ml to start with which is a tiny amount. I think your milk starts to flow when the baby sucks.
    Luv Cheryl xxx

3. joeo

joeo Well-Known Member

I was worried about this as well as I havent had any leaking yet and was wondering if I might not be able to but, i am going to give it a go and hope that even if I dont leak befor baby arrives that onces she does everything will get going.

4. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

My boobs didn't leak, and I breastfeed just fine. My mum couldn't breastfeed me either. Everyone is different. If you can't breastfeed it isn't the end of the world anyway.

5. Hevz

Hevz 4 beautiful children

My boobs only leaked in one pregnancy....I have breastfed successfully 3 times now:happydance:

Don't worry. Sometimes advice from parents etc is useful and sometimes you're best to ask a professional coz we're all different. Speak to your midwife, she'll put your mind at rest. But I'm a Breastmate peer support councillor and have done training on this subject...so don't fret chick :hugs:

6. AC81

AC81 Proud mum of 2

I asked my midwife about this the other day and she said that you don't always leak before giving birth anyway. Mine have just started to leak now - but only if I give em a good squeeze (not sure if I should be doing that really). I really want to give breastfeeding a go and I hope to god I can do it, but it isn't the end of the world if you can't - don't beat yourself up about it.