• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Learned something new about high FSH today

Cui

Trying for #1
Reaction score
Today I went in to my Reproductive Endocrinologist's office to get bloodwork and an ultrasound done to check for ovulation.
I am CD18 today and normally I would have ovulated by now. I am doing unmedicated, monitored cycles.
So I get my ultrasound done and the tech asks me if I have taken any fertility drugs and I say no, she says - you haven't taken anything?:shrug: Ummm no why?
Apparently I am producing more than one mature follicle which she says is very unusual for someone not taking any fertility medication.
I talked to a nurse afterwards, and apparently sometimes when you have high FSH (My highest day 3 has been 16) your FSH acts like a fertility drug.
She told me that fertility drugs are FSH. There is no guarantee that more than one will release, but I found it really interesting. It's like our bodies are trying to help us out-LOL.
I go back on Monday to check again for ovulation. I'm hoping that more than one follicle releases so that I have better fertilization odds.
I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything like this about high FSH before?

You'll have to excuse me...I'm a little slow with this one:wacko:...I read it several times slowly but still:wacko:

I kind of understand what you have wrote here, as I was only having this discussion with my own GP few weeks back.... what you are saying is, that fertility drugs are used to make your follicles stimulate and thats why one of the ways that doctors treat infertility is to use artificial means(ie clomid)to increase FSH levels to force the body to ovulate or produce more eggs. But the flip side to that is, if you did need a nudge to help you concieve, ie fertility drugs such as mention above, would not help with a higher FSH level as its already doing it by itself.... this is just what ive been told by my own GP and have read. And to also add, these readings are know to change each month. So not always a guarentee way to see whats truley going on. But your way is a nice way to look at it :)

You got it Janie66.:thumbup: It's nice to know that something good could potentially come out of having high FSH. I find it amazing how the body works.
It's not much, but it's better than hearing my FSH is too high and I should go right to donor eggs which is what the first Dr. I saw said.:dohh:

I have read and heard on various occasions that you were more at risk (medical term!) to fall pregnant with twins later on in reproductive life because you were more likely to ovulate more than one egg. I guess you explained why!

Good luck with this cycle :hugs:

:flower:Ah ha! Ok, i read everything out loud to my dh and now i get it. Thanks ladies! It was a little confusing at first.

Hi Ladies

This is interesting. I guess that this is why older ladies are more likely to have twins. But you would think that, with us being more likely to release more than one egg per month, we'd have more of a chance of conceiving not less?! :shrug:

So why is it so hard ttc? Is it something to do with the quality of our eggs?

x

In answer to Nat: yes, as you get older you can have cycles where you produce no eggs, eggs of low quality or not fully matured eggs. Which is why its not impossible to get preggers when older just takes longer to catch that elusive golden egg :)

Having said that, you only need one (luckily :))!

Good luck everyone!

I have read and heard on various occasions that you were more at risk (medical term!) to fall pregnant with twins later on in reproductive life because you were more likely to ovulate more than one egg. I guess you explained why!

Good luck with this cycle :hugs:

Thanks. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it sure as heck beats hearing only gloomy news about how bad high FSH is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->