Leaving my doctor's practice and going for a home birth

askforseconds

Reaction score
I've had 2 c-sections. The first one planned and the second was a failed vbac. Ive found a certified professional midwife who's VERY experienced (25+ years) and is willing to take me as a client. I know in my heart that this is the way that I want to go and this particular midwife also had a VBA2C and then ultimately had to have one more c-section afterward so she is not only understanding of the risks but wouldn't hesitate to send me to the hospital if that is needed.

I'm 28 weeks and I have a good connection with her and I'm really looking forward to have the birth I want.

My only hang up is that I need to call my current OB/GYN and tell them that I'm leaving their practice. They already have me scheduled for a c-section for January 10th. Why is it so hard for me to just call and "dump" him?

Anyone have any advice as to what I should say to my OB/GYN? Do I need to tell them that I'm pursuing a home birth? I shouldn't be embarrassed but for some reason it's really hard for me!

Congratulations on having found a supportive midwife who you are happy with. Sounds like it will be great!

Could you duck out of making it a confrontation by either sending a letter, or ringing up out of hours so you get an answer service instead of a real live person? I know that is a bit of a cop out but if it needs doing but you are too worried to do it, then it may be the best option.

Do you need to stay on their books in case of transfer to hospital, or would you get transferred to the care of whoever the midwife works with? If you would end up with the midwife's consultant then I see no need to say what your plans are.

However, if you may need care from them in the case of transfer then I guess that would be a different matter and you would need to discuss how information about the rest of your antenatal care is shared, etc. But I guess you could ask the midwife to do any necessary communication, professional to professional.

I would just call and tell them you decided to switch providers. You don't owe them an explanation. In Florida, I don't think a MW can do a VBAC. I think all VBACs here have to be in the hospital.

I would just call and tell them you decided to switch providers. You don't owe them an explanation. In Florida, I don't think a MW can do a VBAC. I think all VBACs here have to be in the hospital.

It is possible to do home vbacs outside of a hospital here in Maine but finding a provider willing to do it after 2 csections is difficult.

I can understand how difficult it is. I decided with ds2 at about 36 weeks that I wanted to go with a midwife and when I told my Ob/gyn she gave me hell... wasn't a great experience. But on the other hand, made me want and love my midwife even more!!

be strong.. say what you have to say and that's that. I hope she's supportive.. I've got an ob/gyn now who is supportive and it really helps. best of luck hun :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->