Lectured about co sleeping :(

Mummy2Asher

mummy to 2 boys!
Reaction score
Hv visited this morning and was lecturing me about how dangerous co sleeping is and how I need to put him in the Moses basket from now :(

co sleeping is not dangerous if the proper precautions are taken. people generally frown upon most forms of natural parenting, seems to me

Take no notice Hon :hugs: :hugs:

As for the HV - what she doesn't know won't hurt her ;) :hugs::hugs:

If you dont need to tell her then dont, and if she asks tell her what she wants to hear ;)

Alex was a front sleeper from birth but we just didnt say anything as we were never asked how he slept!

Same here. Just don't say anything or just lie!!! As long as co-sleeping is done safely, it is perfectly fine.

she obviously hasnt kept up to date with her own information if shes saying that hun so dont listen to her and just dont metion it from now on

Just ignore her.

Every single person who works with babys will tell you something diffrent.
They just go by the 'rules'
Half of them dont have children!

so many years ago you were told t wean your baby at 3 months... now its 6... but then it can be 4....??!!
Where does the confusion end?!!

Do what YOU want with YOUR baby- you know your baby best, and how to settle your baby. I think they seem to forget babys are human too and not just dolls and they dont all follow the books! xxx

Just ignore her. If she asks again, you have 2 choices. Either you can tell her what she wants to hear, or if you're feeling strong enough, tell her that you are confident that you can co-sleep safely, and that's what works best for you as a family.

It seems like HVs have to toe the party line and do the whole "Co-sleeping is bad!" thing. I think it's because if they tried to give advice on safe co-sleeping, should something horrible happen, they could be open to litigation etc.

Nothing wrong with co-sleeping if it is done safely, you do what works best for you :hugs:

Another 'jobsworth'. Apparently, HV's are told that they are supposed to discourage co-sleeping, even though the new evidence suggests that it reduces SIDS. Like the others said, either lie to her, or cite the new studies into reduced incidence of SIDS in co-sleeping babies. I think I'd go with the latter. ;)

Personally, sleeping with my baby felt like the most natural thing in the world, compared to having my baby screaming at me because he doesn't want to be away from his mother, I know which one I would choose.
I told my midwife when I was still under their care and she told me it's perfectly natural, I'd rather take a midwifes opinion than the HV. Ignore them hun do what feels right to you. Mothers instinct and all that! Xx

don't listen. as long as its done properly and taking the proper safety measures, then there is nothing 'unsafe' about it. We were even shown how to do it in our breast feeding class to help with night nursing.
Most HV's have no idea....

i was really shocked as at the hospital they gave me a leaflet about safe co-sleeping?!
i take so many precautions, no duvets , blankets or pillows, its just me and him in the bed, we bought OH a separate bed etc

then you have nothing to worry about at all, honestly, most HV's tend to give what is their opinion rather then what is actually advised/not advised, and when they do give what is advised, so much of the time their training is years out of date. :roll:

If co sleeping is working for you guys and helping you be a great mummy who's not falling asleep on the couch with bub, (which IS dangerous) then enjoy it, theres nothing better then waking to a babies smiles. :)

Another 'jobsworth'. Apparently, HV's are told that they are supposed to discourage co-sleeping, even though the new evidence suggests that it reduces SIDS. Like the others said, either lie to her, or cite the new studies into reduced incidence of SIDS in co-sleeping babies. I think I'd go with the latter. ;)

I had a lecture on Sunday from my Auntie about how co-sleeping INCREASES the risk of SIDS, i am so glad you said that there is new evidence it doesn't. I have been feeling so guilty this week as i have put him in his pram next to us, because i thought it would reduce the risk .. do you have a link that i could read about the new evidence? It would really put my mind at rest xx

Here are a few;

https://thebabybond.com/Cosleeping&SIDSFactSheet.html
https://www.naturalchild.org/guest/tami_breazeale.html
https://www.parenting.com/article/Baby/Health/Ask-Dr-Sears-Co-Sleeping-a-SIDS-Danger

Experts have proven that co sleeping is better for you and baby, and helps prevent sids. You cant disagree with a expert! (my boyfriend does and I'm sure deep down he knows he is wrong he's just making excuses)

Well informed HV, who have up-to-date training will know that actually, co-sleeping is one of the safest ways to sleep (provided it's done correctly).

She clearly needs some updated training.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->