legionnaires disease

Harveysmum369

Mrs Christmas
Reaction score
Anyone else worried?

We are travelling through Edinburgh next week with quite a wait there...

Called the nhs24 helpline and they said although the risk is low,I have to consult harveys gp prior to travel as he has a low immune system and asthma and they might put him on antibiotics as a precaution.xxx

Isnt it only if you drink the water? (sorry not a clue) I would speak to GP if worried x

They said you can breathe in the water droplets..but you can't catch it,thank god.xx

It can't be caught through drinking water, it can only be caught by breathing in contaminated water vapour, it doesn't affect water in its normal liquid state, only vaporised droplets. It can't be spread from person to person either.

It's worrying that they still haven't confirmed the source for definite. I'm going there in a couple of weeks, I'm asthmatic and my mil who is diabetic will be with us, so we're both high risk. Isobel isn't coming so that's one thing not to worry about.

I'm thinking of checking with my gp just before we go if they haven't got it under control by then.

They said any 'normal healthy' person would be ok...but asthmatics and other underlying health issues should consult their gp.I'm taking Harvey to docs tomorrow.xx

I live right near the area of Edinburgh but no ones worried really lol!

Where are you staying? It's only in a small area of Edinburgh and mainly residential.

We aren't staying in Edinburgh..just the sleeper apparently stays in waverley for an hour.the nurse did say its miles away from the outbreak,but to be on the safe side to check with gp...I just don't wanna take any risks..

You'll be fine :) I'm about a 20 min walk from outbreak, Waverly is ages away & you're only there an hour. Def not worth worrying about.

Highly suspected a brewerys cooling towers. They've been shut down and no new cases.

Oh my, antibiotics as a precaution?

I think since you are only in the station for an hour the NHS could be over reacting a bit tbh

I wouldn't worry at all

I just don't want him to get poorly :( I did explain we are only there for an hour and that was her advice :shrug:

I def think they over reacted. And also there has never been a case in a child :)

Who was giving this advice? A doctor?

I just don't want him to get poorly :( I did explain we are only there for an hour and that was her advice :shrug:

Oh no I totally understand that hun, I wasn't getting at you, I think you did the right thing by getting advice.

Just think the advice was way over the top

I guess as he has his inhalers and granules he might be classed as 'healthy'?

My Brother lives in Leith (about 15mins away from the distillery suspected) and there's no major panic, although people are being told to watch out for any symptoms. As with other infections/diseases, people with underlying health problems are often told to be more wary and sometimes take antibiotics if they are coming in close contact with the disease.

If you are worried though, I would speak to your GP xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->