Length & description of period after miscarriage

thanks for starting this thread Hope!

Here is what I found :

The first period after a miscarriage is rarely "normal". It can be heavier than normal, lighter than normal, have some clots, be very crampy or not crampy at all. One thing that is certain is that your first period will usually not be like anything you've had before. To make sure it is really your first period, make sure it has been at least four weeks since your miscarriage AND you have had about 20 days of no bleeding or spotting. For the estrogen threshold to be met, you should not be bleeding anymore. Otherwise the lining is not being rebuilt, and you are still experiencing progesterone withdrawal.

Technically, when things go perfectly, your first period will not arrive until 4 weeks after your hCG levels reach zero. Since most women will not be tested all the way to zero (which is typically reported as "less than 5"), you will not know exactly when this will happen. In a normal recovery, it takes three weeks for the hormone chain to fire up again, and it will not be marked by bleeding or any physical symptom. You will only know that the new cycle worked by having a period at the end of it, between five and seven weeks after your miscarriage.

More than likely you did have a complete miscarriage. If you had not, your hCG level would not have fallen to near zero so soon after the initial miscarriage bleeding. Unless this was a period that required a pad every hour or two for more than a week, I would not be concerned. I would say that it was simply the abnormal period that comes after a miscarriage.

Mine started yesterday, i don't have any pain and the blood is kind of darker blood than what it should be..confused!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->