letter to a$$hole salesman

mumj18

Reaction score
Feel it's too chatty!! What do you think?

Dear Robert,

I am writing to you regarding your recent refusal to refund the deposit of £100 we put down on the Vauxhall Astra we were interested in.

We feel you are wrong to keep our deposit as you assured us it was refundable telling us you ‘were just starting out and didn’t want to get a bad name’ . As you know, the reason we were unsure about going ahead with buying the car was because we had hoped you would offer us more money for the car we were trading in. This meant we had to think about things a lot more due to the fact that it brought the sale to £10,000 instead of £9,500 which was still more than our original budget. We were very honest with you in regards to our financial situation explaining that we were trying to cut costs as our current cars were costing us too much to run. At the time you seemed extremely understanding about this.

John and I were very aware that it was unfair of us to keep dragging our heels as this could result in you missing out on a sale if someone else was interested in the car. Any time we phoned to say we were still thinking and to put the car back on sale we were told to phone back the next day, that night etc. We would have been more than happy for the car to have remained on sale and would have accepted it was our own fault if it was sold. I also said this in an email. We eventually decided the car was just too out of budget and John phoned to say so. You were off so we expected to receive a phone call arranging refund of our deposit.

Later that week after looking around and finding nothing else any less expensive John decided to phone back and see if the car was still available as there was no point in considering it if it was sold. What I find strange was after speaking on the phone to John knowing he wasn’t with me at the time as he had told you he would need to speak to me you then phoned me which progressed to speaking over email as my phone wasn’t working properly. You told me John had said we were taking the car – I thought that meant that John had made the decision and hadn’t told me yet so told you IF he had said we were taking it then we were. John maintains he did not tell you we were taking the car and I also don’t believe he would make a decision like this without consulting me. Therefore I feel I was tricked into saying we were taking the car and you then went on to ask us when we were coming to collect it etc.

Feeling a bit cornered, we ignored your hounding phone calls, eventually phoning to say we did not want to go ahead with the sale. This is when you refused to refund our deposit.

I look forward to receiving your reply outlining your reasons for keeping our money. Please respond within seven working days,

I would be going above his head tbh. I don't think he'll take you on.

I don't think it's too chatty it's outlining everything that happened...however...

I would NOT put the last bit about outlining your reasons for keeping our money, this I'd reword slightly to 'your reasons for not having refunded us immediately as promised by you' And I'd also add into the bit about hearing from him within 7 days 'with an explanation plus our deposit. If however we do not receive our refund we will be forced to take matters further'

Thanks girlies. Do you mean above his head as in to a manager? Slight issue is that it's a private garage run by him and his Dad!!

That bit does sound better thanks Donna35.

I'm so angry at this stupid bullying man!!

if its privately run by him and his dad i would imagine they will more than likely throw your letter in the bin, sorry its not what you want to hear, but it is probably what will happen

i would start at the CAB and find out who you need to speak to for free advice about it, they may be able to point you in the direction of a complaint about the garage to some governing body or something

I'm confused as in your letter you say after looking around and not finding cheaper you went back to this garage on the mindset if the car was still there you would take it, so why didnt you take it? As that does sound as though he is within his rights to refuse a refund.

We just wanted to know if it was still there - we didn't say we would take it and he shouldn't have assumed.
xx

Then tbh you shouldn't have put down a deposit that you weren't prepared not to get back.

However, if you do want to pursue, then I'm happy to rewrite the letter for you (I'm a lawyer). Whilst it is ok, it's a little wordy and emotional - the trick with these letters is to keep emotion to one side and present facts only.

PM me if you want me to take a look at it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->