• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Life after death. What do you believe?

im really undecided about this. i don't believe in heaven or hell. but i'd like to think that there is life after death. but deep down, i think that once you die, that's it.

I want to believe there is a heaven and that when my time comes I will be reunited with my gorgeous son... I sometimes feel him close to me and really believe he's with me at times... but really I just believe whatever makes me feel stronger, its the only way to get through each day :( x

I want to believe there is a heaven and that when my time comes I will be reunited with my gorgeous son... I sometimes feel him close to me and really believe he's with me at times... but really I just believe whatever makes me feel stronger, its the only way to get through each day :( x

sorry about your loss hun :hugs: xxx

i like to think that we get reincarnated (sp?). i ust to think that its was just nothing if you know what i mean? but when i lost my baby 2 years ago i started to think that she had gone on to be a beautifull swan that had a much more important job to do, but would come back to us when she was ready. silly realy...

I don't believe in any god/heaven/hell or anything like that but I do think we live on in spirit if that makes sense. The only reason I think this is because my OH's cousin had a reading and the lady that did it spent half the time writing on a bit of paper. When she had finished her reading she gave OH's cousin the paper on which she was writing and there were things on there from her mum referring to things that had happened AFTER her mum passed away.For example "I was with you through you're struggle and breast cancer scare" "I saw you laughing at that mad lady in singing in the street half cut in nothing but her nighty" so there's no way her mum could have known about any of that & the lady that did the reading she had never met before.. In the sense that we can watch over people I think that's true.. In the sense that when we go we live on somewhere else..I'm not too sure.

I do not believe in Heaven and Hell. I do believe in the afterlife. Not so much as a living soul but more as an energy. I do believe stuff can be picked up from that energy as this is what mediums (and myself) pick up on.

What that energy is, I am not sure off lol I just know what I sense, feel, see and smell and I am not often wrong in what I do say to people.

I find it hard to believe that after living in a body for such a long time that magnetic energy etc will just "go"

I am unsure what I perceive the afterlife as but I know there is something there.

I find it hard to believe this is it. Just what the human mind wants to think as it is unable to comprehend anything larger.

I believe that we are all reincarnated and come back as something else.

I get quite frightened when I think of death and dying so I don't know if I have chosen this belief to make me feel happier???

Does anyone else get frightened thinking about it?

I believe in the after life. I believe in God , heaven & hell. I believe that our souls leave our bodies when we'r dead & sometime they roam around those they care about & watch over them. When the world ends, those souls go back to their bodies & the after life starts where there is heaven & hell.

nmwb78 - if you don't mind me asking, what are your thoughts on what heaven and hell is? Are they literal places or a frame of mind? x

nmwb78 - if you don't mind me asking, what are your thoughts on what heaven and hell is? Are they literal places or a frame of mind? x

I'm Muslim & we have a vision for heaven frm the Quran (our book). U go to heaven body & soul. In Heaven there will be no suffering, no pain, no sickness. It is often described as a better and brighter version of this world. The bounties and beauty of Heaven are immense, so much so that it is beyond abilities of mankind’s worldly mind to comprehend.

It's Forever. Once someone reaches heaven, he/she will not want to be anywhere else and he/she will live there for eternity.

There will be an abundance of wealth and beauty in Paradise. “For them will be Gardens of eternity; beneath them rivers will flow; they will be adorned therein with bracelets of gold, and they will wear green garments of fine silk and heavy brocade. They will recline therein on raised thrones. How good [is] the recompense! How beautiful a couch [is there] to recline on!” - versus frm the Quran

It's said that u reunite with ur beloved ones in heaven. Men & women will all be young. No one grows old in heaven.

As for hell, it's like a big hole, & those who go there keep falling into it until they reach the right level according to their sins, then punishment starts. I dont like to think about hell, loooooool

I honesty believe that God will have mercy on all people & once those covered with sins r punished, they will all go to heaven.

Thank you, that's really interesting!

I have always struggled with the idea of heaven as what one person would find perfect would not be for someone else. That makes me see how it could be possible though :flower:

I believe in reincarnation, there is a lot of evidence.. also NDEs are quite convincing (www.nderf.org - a very large database of NDEs). When I was younger I used to have a lot of prophetic dreams and a couple of out of body experiences.

Now out of body experiences I can tell you about! There is a growing body of research experimentally inducing out of body experiences. I'm working on a sci-art project about it, it's fascinating! The mind can be tricked to see itself outside the real body, hypothesised that this process happens spontaneously as a result of brain trauma, so to speak, caused by those sorts of conditions where people claim to have had an OBE. It's so interesting!

Now out of body experiences I can tell you about! There is a growing body of research experimentally inducing out of body experiences. I'm working on a sci-art project about it, it's fascinating! The mind can be tricked to see itself outside the real body, hypothesised that this process happens spontaneously as a result of brain trauma, so to speak, caused by those sorts of conditions where people claim to have had an OBE. It's so interesting!

That's awesome, although it took me a moment to realise you weren't talking about order of the british empire!

Probably not the place for it but i know of a few people that take a certain anaesthetic and claim to have out of body experiences, even being taken on a tour of the universe. Is that the same kind of thing but without the recklessness? Hearing the stories of it has definitely given me a firmer belief of a seperate energy or 'soul' that is not attached to the mind or body.

That sounds more like hallucination to me! Lol. The out of body experience thing (yes not the honour! Lol my own shorthand) is about the brain mistaking what belongs to it. A simple example is the rubber hand illusion. In this setup the participant lays their hand on the table and it is covered over with a shelf. On top of the shelf a fake hand is placed similarly to the real hand but not quite in line. The experimenter then strokes the fingers of the rubber and real hand simultaneously. The participant feels the stroking and sees it on the fake hand. Within not too long a time at all the participant begins to have a sense of ownership of th fake hand. The hand feels different depending on the qualities if the fake hand, it could be covered in sand and feel rough for example. I found my hand felt fat and swollen like the rubber looked. A quick test asking where the participants index finger is (without seeing any hands) before and after shows that the perception of the real hand's position has moved more towards where the fake hand was lying.

It gets really interesting when the fake hand is made of wood, or is disproportionately shaped, has a missing finger or holes in it.

Our project if we get the money will be taking it further to a whole body illusion. There is already research using virtual reality goggles where the image played is of the participant shaking hands with someone - it feels as if you're shaking hands with yourself - or of the participant from behind - very like the our if body experience anecdotally reported, seeing oneself from outside oneself. The brain is just so amazing!

Wow, that is absolutely fascinating, i love brains :)

I lucid dream so sometimes feel like i've had an OBE because i'm awake and asleep at the same time. I can't explain it very well :shrug:

I always said the other thing must have been hallucinations but people have had shared experiences and have been unconscious but still knew what had happened... so weird. But as i have no personal experience of it (and don't particularly like the idea) i suppose i have to take it with a pinch of salt!

I believe in heaven, and I believe that those I have lost, including my babies I have miscarried, are there, waiting for their mommy. I HAVE to believe this. I have lost close people to me...and I know they are there. I know I will see them again. I do not know the details of heaven, but I know it exists. My children believe in heaven, and we pray to God and although we don't attend church, we believe in God and heaven. My son knows of one of our many miscarriages, and he believes that he will see his sibling there when he dies. I know God is taking care of them.

Just wanted to say that if something is experimentally induced it does not mean that these things are not real (e.g., that it is trick of the mind and noting more).

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. A 'trick if the mind' is something real to the person experiencing it. The experiment demonstrates the process by which a person can have the experience. Further research into the parts of the brain involved and how they work will provide the explanation for how people experience it in other situations such as near death experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->