Life after death. What do you believe?

Sorry if I misunderstood you. There are plenty of people who will just say it is not real, it is just imagination, that our brains create the experience such as OBE or NDE and there is nothing more to it. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, I just feel that we people don't know enough to make these statements and some experiences can not be explained by the mind theory alone.

No I totally believe they are real experiences people have had, my interest is in the cause and science is potentially getting closer to understanding what the brain is doing. I think the brain is capable of things that are truly extraordinary both by functioning well and functioning badly. It doesn't make the experience not real for the person though, whatever the explanation turns out to be. I think science will explain it because the human body is remarkable, whether or not people will want to believe the explanation. But it's no reflection on the experience that person had. We are the sum of our perception and no one person's perception of the world is more correct than another person's. We are all equally by our restricted experience and sense of the world.

Yes, that is so true. Also brain, I believe, acts as a filter and, if there is another world, we as human beings cannot perceive it properly, even in altered states, because everything has to pass through this physical filter to be integrated in to our understanding. It is a fascinating subject to study. I am a bit envious now with you :) lol I wanted to find a job in this are but wasn't lucky.. oh well, maybe in future.

I dont believe in anything. I am one of those people who has to see things to believe it. I like to think that there is something there...that I will see my family members whom Ive lost, my dad, Sophie and Luke again one day....but I dont think I will :(

I dont get any signs either, which makes it harder for me to believe in anything, but then again, maybe its because I dont look for it? I just dont know. :shrug:

When I was younger I used to get 'signs' (dreams, strong premonitions, was able to see aura etc), but, as I get older, I seem to be loosing these abilities and also the belief, my mind is more confused and less open and it is kind of sad... I hope one day we find the answers that we are looking for.

Yes, that is so true. Also brain, I believe, acts as a filter and, if there is another world, we as human beings cannot perceive it properly, even in altered states, because everything has to pass through this physical filter to be integrated in to our understanding. It is a fascinating subject to study. I am a bit envious now with you :) lol I wanted to find a job in this are but wasn't lucky.. oh well, maybe in future.

Do you think that is the same for everyone? For example, it is said that babies and children are more perceptive due to their niaive brains and that they haven't learnt impossibility. If that is the case, surely this could be continued into adulthood with a certain frame of mind?

Do you think that is the same for everyone? For example, it is said that babies and children are more perceptive due to their niaive brains and that they haven't learnt impossibility. If that is the case, surely this could be continued into adulthood with a certain frame of mind?

Yes, I believe that. Also it is believed that animals have the 'vision' too. It makes sense, we adults are so busy, stressed, taking care of so many things at once... plus we are bombarded with materialistic thinking/consumerism every day. I believe that we could open our mind if we had a chance to go away from all this, meditate, calm down, but still... probably we will only see a clear picture of what life is all about after we die.:winkwink:

IvyBaby I was just really lucky as I was approached by the artist and scientist to support them in pulling their plans together into a project. We have a meeting about it tomorrow as it happens. If you want to have a go at the rubber hand illusion you could have a trip to Manchester Tue 26/Wed 27 Oct, it's on as part of the Manchester Science Festival. It's not my job as such, just something I'm taking on in addition to my normal role. I am really lucky that when these interesting opportunities come along I can usually take advantage and get involved.

What do you do? This is really the realm of psychology so you could always start some evening or part time studies to move you in that direction.

we close our intuition as we get older. If you want to see you will. Notice little signs and your intuition will get stronger xx

Chakra healing is a good way of becoming aware.

IvyBaby I was just really lucky as I was approached by the artist and scientist to support them in pulling their plans together into a project. We have a meeting about it tomorrow as it happens. If you want to have a go at the rubber hand illusion you could have a trip to Manchester Tue 26/Wed 27 Oct, it's on as part of the Manchester Science Festival. It's not my job as such, just something I'm taking on in addition to my normal role. I am really lucky that when these interesting opportunities come along I can usually take advantage and get involved.

What do you do? This is really the realm of psychology so you could always start some evening or part time studies to move you in that direction.

Unfortunately I will be in Latvia at that time, but thanks for the info. I have a degree in Biology and worked in the lab before getting pregnant and I was always interested in paranormal and psych stuff, just never had a chance to do much in this area. I am thinking about studying some more in future when baby is a bit older :) :flower: There is so much that we don't know yet!!

When I was younger I used to get 'signs' (dreams, strong premonitions, was able to see aura etc), but, as I get older, I seem to be loosing these abilities and also the belief, my mind is more confused and less open and it is kind of sad... I hope one day we find the answers that we are looking for.

I have had these all my life but they are getting louder last 9mths.

I'm all for the evidence and not spiritual in the slightest.

When you're dead you're dead and that's it. Bleak, I know, but I don't think the Universe is duty bound to offer us a meaning for life. It's the cold, hard, natural order of things.

PS - wouldn't eternity in heaven be a bit boring. All the interesting people would be "downstairs", so after a couple of hundred years or so I'd be begging to die, but I can't, I'm already dead... help!

When you're dead you're dead and that's it. Bleak, I know, but I don't think the Universe is duty bound to offer us a meaning for life. It's the cold, hard, natural order of things.

PS - wouldn't eternity in heaven be a bit boring. All the interesting people would be "downstairs", so after a couple of hundred years or so I'd be begging to die, but I can't, I'm already dead... help!

I used to think this. Then decided that if there is a heaven and hell they would more of a frame of mind than an actual place. For example, if you hated the idea of a serene place with waterfalls, rainbows and puppy dogs you would end up there for your hell, and the opposite for your heaven. Does that make sense? Probably not :haha:

I used to think this. Then decided that if there is a heaven and hell they would more of a frame of mind than an actual place. For example, if you hated the idea of a serene place with waterfalls, rainbows and puppy dogs you would end up there for your hell, and the opposite for your heaven. Does that make sense? Probably not :haha:

A-ha - that's a way around it :happydance:

It would be nice if we could choose what heaven would be like. Mine would have free chocolate everyway and you could eat it all day long and never get fat. Fat(ter) in my case. Hey can you choose to be slim and beautiful in heaven?

Maybe you are your 'true self' in heaven. Like in the film Shallow Hal!

In fact people who have had NDEs (near death experiences) report that heaven, or whatever place they go to, at least initially is a reflection of what we truly are inside, our dreams and wishes.. for example, I love nature and hate city life, so I would guess that after I die I will be transported to a serene meadow full of flowers and a crystal clear river flowing through it.
Also people there do not get bored apparently- they keep busy by doing what they love and helping others. I know, sounds idyllic but, oh hell, why not.. lol... this life can be tiring and mean, why not believe that we can have something better after all the suffering here on earth :) I think there are so many dimensions to afterlife that we can never comprehend it fully with our human minds.

I want to believe there is a heaven and that when my time comes I will be reunited with my gorgeous son... I sometimes feel him close to me and really believe he's with me at times... but really I just believe whatever makes me feel stronger, its the only way to get through each day :( x

I think Hayley has hit the nail totally on the head :hugs::hugs:

In my profession it's not part of the 'job description' to have beliefs about the afterlife ... It's my job to reflect back to every individual what THEY believe, because they need that particular belief in order to move forward, and who the heck am I to say that what they believe is or isn't true? :shrug::flower:

All I know is that I have had some odd experiences with flickering lights that are normally stable and some of my colleagues swear that they hear foorsteps in the building when no-one else is there .....and these are not fanciful people!.

I like to think there is something after death because i lost my little boy but i really don't think there is. Once you are gone, you're gone.

I never really knew what to believe and even now after a few experiences I am unsure of what to believe. I know there are spirits though. The night after I gave birth to Honey (she was born sleeping) and we were still in the hospital there were three orbs of light kinda floating in the room two big, one little, there was a wall directly behind the window and no other way for light to get in, I now believe this was Honey and two family members who had come to get her, at the time I had never heard of orbs so it certainly wasnt something I wanted to see. Another time I felt her hand in my hand for a good few hours, it was a small hand and I just felt calm and really close to Honey. Fairly recently I saw her in spirit form, she was just standing watching me, she didnt look what like I thought she would except that she had the ginger curls I knew she would (she had ginger hair that was just long enough to start flicking at the ends when she was born) and she was the age she would be on earth so again I dont think it was my mind because I always thought she would stay a baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->