Life After Pregnancy?

horrorheart13

Reaction score
I was thinking all day today about my life. I've always wanted to be a tattoo artist. Well, at least since I was a teenager. Also wanted to go to art school. I put it off and put it off and now in only a few short months I'm going to be a mom. Which I'm VERY excited about. But scared too. Is it possible to have a baby and still pursue a career? I imagine it is but being a tattoo artist is very time consuming as is raising a child and if I have to choose between the two, it'll have to be my child. It scares me that maybe I won't be able to pursue the career I want now, because I put it off for too long. I just don't know how I could possibly fit in being a mother and a tattoo artist at the same time. I just don't know what to think. I finally purchased the last bit of equipment I needed to continue with practicing, learning, etc tonight. And although I'm very excited about that, I'm afraid all the things I've learned and will learn will do me no good once the baby comes and I won't be able to apply them to anything.

I feel like I sound unhappy about having my little boy soon, but I'm not. I'm just nervous. I just don't know what's going to happen.

Sorry that was so long. I needed to get it off my chest :cry:

I'm not gonna lie to you hun
Yes your life will cange big style, but if there is something you really want to do and you have a god network of support around you there is no reason why you cannot do what you want to do

It just might mean looking at differant ways of doing things
If you go to Art school there may well be a creche for you, your options are there you may just have to look a little harder at all the options out there

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take :hugs:

i also worry about this, but at the end of the day i really believe you can have your career and be a mom but it comes with a compromise on both sides. its not realistic to think that you can work 9-5 and still be there when your kids come home but as they get older you can go back to work more full time and still be there for them i think. i chose my career as a teacher bec i love to teach but it comes with the added bonuses of being there for my kids and during school holidays. why dont u look into some tatoo places see what their hours are, some of them are open really late and you might be able to work a shift u know, or maybe one day ull have ure on place and dictate your own hours. if you really want it you can do it! hope this helps..

i also worry about this, but at the end of the day i really believe you can have your career and be a mom but it comes with a compromise on both sides. its not realistic to think that you can work 9-5 and still be there when your kids come home but as they get older you can go back to work more full time and still be there for them i think. i chose my career as a teacher bec i love to teach but it comes with the added bonuses of being there for my kids and during school holidays. why dont u look into some tatoo places see what their hours are, some of them are open really late and you might be able to work a shift u know, or maybe one day ull have ure on place and dictate your own hours. if you really want it you can do it! hope this helps..

This really does make me feel alot better. I've been thinking about it for hours and I know that at first, for a few good years I'll only be able to take baby steps with my career but when LO gets older I'll be able to devote more time. Like you said, it'll take compromise on both sides.

Thank you :hugs:

Sounds to me like you could set up from home, would that be an option? If you worked towards that then you can fit around your day to day?

Sounds to me like you could set up from home, would that be an option? If you worked towards that then you can fit around your day to day?

Yeah, I think I could, although it's sort of frowned upon by the tattoo community :/ But if I was eventually able to set up all my sterilizing equipment in a separate room, I'd probably be able to pull that off. That's actually a fantastic idea! Can't believe I hadn't thought of that :blush:

Thanks!!

Your welcome...I know I would actually like to go to someones house for a tatoo as it has the privacy factor...you could start a whole new trend!

I have a 9yr old and kept putting things off after I had her, I have since got an 11 month old and have decided this year to take the bull by the horns and start my midwifery course. So I have the start of it to do from home this year which is ace, but I am looking at Uni next year. I have no idea 100% how it is all going to work, we will cross each bridge as we come to it. I don't have anyone to help me out except my OH so we have to work together with it, but I am sure we will find a way. But one thing is for sure, where there's a will there's a way. Good Luck hun! x

I was 17 when i had my first and i am currently going to Art school whilst preggers with my second! You can do anything you like it may just take longer or have to be done in a different way. Also so when baby is big enough for school you will have 6 hours a day to fill :) It changes EVERYTHING but you just hit it at a diff angle. I started off no qualifications no house Nothing but me my baby boy and a bedrom in my dads house. I have now got my Uni place sorted for Computer animation, I have a job a house i learned how to drive and i found a fantastic man and made another baby! I have my exhibition soon too.

If you want it you can do anything you want just takes longer is all :D
There is life after babies and they are not young forever. Eventually they wont need you as much and you have to have a life for yourself. Go for what ever you want. Saw your pics and i dont think you will have many probs becoming a tatooist!

I was 17 when i had my first and i am currently going to Art school whilst preggers with my second! You can do anything you like it may just take longer or have to be done in a different way. Also so when baby is big enough for school you will have 6 hours a day to fill :) It changes EVERYTHING but you just hit it at a diff angle. I started off no qualifications no house Nothing but me my baby boy and a bedrom in my dads house. I have now got my Uni place sorted for Computer animation, I have a job a house i learned how to drive and i found a fantastic man and made another baby! I have my exhibition soon too.

If you want it you can do anything you want just takes longer is all :D
There is life after babies and they are not young forever. Eventually they wont need you as much and you have to have a life for yourself. Go for what ever you want. Saw your pics and i dont think you will have many probs becoming a tatooist!

Thank you! This makes me feel loads better :happydance: My OH was trying to scare me after I ordered my last bit of equipment but now I think it's just because I spent a good chunk of money on it instead of something for him :dohh: He kept telling me "It's not like you'll be able to pursue that stuff when the baby comes" :( But I obviously can with a bit of planning :D

You can do whatever you want! I'm still going to Uni in September to do Social Work and although I know it's gona be tough I can still do it.
From what I've seen of your art you would make an amazing tatto artist, and I think it's a great idea to set up at home, that way you could fit it around you and the baby. And as someone else said, it would be a nice private setting to make people feel relaxed.
Good Luck hun!
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back