Lifting things in the first trimester..

daniellex27

Reaction score
I've heard somewhere that you really shouldn't lift heavy things while pregnant. But sometimes as work i have no choice. I have to lift heavy things every now and then (like trash, cubbies, toys, etc.) Should i be worried? I could always refuse to do it and say, sorry, i can't , i'm pregnant. lol But it's not like i'm broken?

Maybe i just worry too much. lol:blush:

I have the same problem, I have to lift up to 50lbs some days at work. Can't tell them I'm pregnant though. Lifting that much weight isn't out of the norm for me. I think as long as you're careful about how you lift, you should be ok. Lift with your legs, not your back and don't overestimate your weight limit.

Thanks for the reassurance! That's honestly what i need. With this being my first pregnancy, i worry over every little thing! :blush:

I told a couple of my coworkers... they have told me I am not allowed to lift anything, and I got scolded for moving a "light" chair yesterday lol.

All my co-workers know. ..i'm surprised they haven't said much those times i did have to take out that heavy trash.. :p

I totally play the pregnancy card with my DH too.. I'm like I can't take the trash out.. I'm pregnant... lol..poor guy, it's going to be a long 9 months hahaha

hahaha! :haha:
Hubby likes to tell me i worry too much..
but that's when i snap back and say, better safe than sorry!

I have a toddler so I lift 30 lbs on a regular basis haha don't really have a choice. I think its all in how you life it too sometimes ill go to life something and be like nope that hurts in my stomach haha

lifting in the 1st tri isnt too bad as long as its your norm and not like a crazy amount. Personally for me I am paranoid due to my losses so if and when I get pregnant I wont lift I wont have sex I wont sit in the sun too long there is a list of things I will avoid and things I will try to do more.

I have a sister who is 30 years old she has cp and is handicap. so she depends on everyone around her to do just about everything for her and since I was little I always helped with her. at age 8 I started lifting her over the years due to her medical issues her weight went from light to heavy. I use to be able to pick her up over my shoulders and now that is impossible she weighs at least 140 but is only 4'11" so she is a thick girl. the point in me telling you this is me lifting her since I was 8 and being able to handle her weight change is my norm. I lifted her through out all my pregnancies until my 3rd son I was so huge I couldnt and then with the pregnancies after him I made it known I cant do much and limitied what I did.

I don't lift anything over 10kg now. Not worth the risk. I was asked last week to help lift something super heavy and so felt it was the right time to let the cat out of the bag.

There's no reason that you can't do what you did before. Lifting weight you haven't regularly lifted before getting pregnant is a no no. I'm 27 weeks and a paramedic and still lifting patients and stretchers No problems no issues. My doc is actually encouraging me to continue doing 'regular' things until I feel I can't physically do it any more. I plan to stay at work, tummy and all, until 33 weeks. Just be aware of HOW your lifting and how your body responds and get help if you can. But honestly, your pregnant.... You can still do what you did before if your pregnancy is healthy. I get so frustrated when people treat me like I have a terminal illness or medical condition. Lol

My GP told me to be careful when lifting or straining as the risk is greater to me rather than the baby as in pregnancy your joints start to loosen a little??? Sounds a bit odd now Im writing in though!

I'm not allowed to lift anything heavy, they have taking me off the folding table at work and put me on the tills. There is a list of things im not allowed to do anymore and things i have to do S: I feel little useless but im glad there looking out for me also.

If someone has more than 3 huge baskets i have to get help. Im not allowed to touch cleaning products that the cleaners may leave lying and im not allowed to help anyone who has past out i have to get someone else.

Oh and i have to hold on the the railing when walking up and down stairs. Oh well's guess i'll just have to stick with it lol and hope for the best xx

Iv also been using the pregnancy card with OH & to my surprise he has actually started to help out more when he is home like with our toddler, but still i have to lift & carry her alot, i do worry about if its safe?

People have been lifting and carrying toddlers, pushing plows, hauling water buckets a mile from the well, working in dusty sweltering factories, hauling hay bails, and more for hundreds of years.

Lifting your toddler won't hurt you.

DH won't let me lift anything heavy, I gladly let him carry heavy things for me! Makes me feel taken care of. Honestly I think it would be okay, I don't lift really heavy stuff, but still, if he is willing...I never have to lift anything heavier than a package of paper for the printer at work!

I believe if you have been carrying out tasks before you should be ok. I have to do lifti g and handling at work. At the minute only the boss knows. So I have been accompanying my colleagues in tasks and have felt totally comfortable.

A lady I work with has just gone off early on mat leave (24 weeks). As soon as she found out she was PG she was so lazy. Refused to do most tasks. She was so lazy before but the PG made her ten times worse.

If I felt like something was too much, I wouldnt do it but I have been fine.

Yep no probs with lifting everyday stuff, I carry groceries, my carry on on travel, laundry, furniture, potted plants etc, do regular exercise with free weights and didn't notice any pains afterwards so I feel safe. It is good keeping active during pregnancy, getting too lazy and being sedentary could get you in trouble when the time to push comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hollie200
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->