Likely to be denied a home birth because my bathroom roof is in a state?

Lozdi

Imp Of Mischief On Boob!
Reaction score
Basically, my bathroom ceiling is in a right old state- it has a massive leak when it rains, and looks like it might give in at any given point, and its right over my bath. My landlord is my mum, and she's trying to gather money to get it repaired- times are hard and we are all skint. I have poked at it with a broom handle and it seems to be holding up thus far...but I'm wondering, will the midwife take a look at it during my homebirth assessment and deny me a home birth because it looks so dangerous? I don't particularly want to labour in the bath anyway....though that is because the ceiling freaks me out somewhat :dohh:

Anyone have any opinions? I have no idea what criteria they can refuse a home birth on. :wacko:

It has been assessed by a builder, and his opinion was it won't hold through another wet winter, but its just the plaster of the ceiling thats damaged, not the beams, so although plaster could fall down, the actual structure of the roof is not about to fall in (otherwise I wouldn't even dare step into the bathroom!)

I wouldn't worry. Even if they're not happy with it (you can always avoid going in there :winkwink: ) its not their call. They can 'fail' your risk assessment but when you call they have a duty of care, bound by their NMC code, to attend you and not abandon you :)

My MW didn't even look around when I had my pre-HB checkup. Although I had a brand new house so I guess she might have thought there wouldn't be any problems anyway.
I laboured and birthed in my living room so didn't even use the upstairs bathroom until afterwards when I had a bath but the MW's did run the bath for me so that could be an issue.
If it's just the plaster would it be better to pull it down now rather than waiting for the day it falls on somebody? I wouldn't want to bath my kids with the chance of an accident waiting to happen.
While I understand money is tight and it could be awkward with your mum being your landlord as a parent and grandparent she should be even more keen to get it repaired and not cause an accident. You really need to tell your mum she needs to sort it out ASAP.

I have politely but firmly informed her I'll be with holding rent if it isn;t sorted within a month. It would be a bad idea to pull it down, because its like a panel over the whole bath, but the damage is only on one half, near the tap end, I don't want to risk making the job bigger by pulling it down when I can't see whats going on behind it. I have a regular appointment with the midwife tomorrow, and the home visit is on tuesday- my midwife is very keen for me to home birth, and she will tell me straight if she finds it a problem.

Thanks for the replies ladies :flower: I feel a little less wobbly about it today, gave it another hefty poke with the broom handle and it seems firm enough, the original leak was tiny but H poked a hole through it so that any rain had a path to follow to get out of the ceiling, rather than just soaking the whole of the plaster- maybe that is why it seems kind of sturdy despite the obvious mess of it!

She can't refuse you a hb for that, my mw sat in my living room talking through things, didn't look around the house or ask anything about it other than access if an ambulance is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->