Lilliana's Homebirth (Almost Needed Transport)

LillyLee

Reaction score
Thought I would post a quick birth story for my little Lilliana.

Started with real contractions at 11PM on 12/23. Called midwives at about 5AM as they were about 3 minutes apart and lasting about a minute each. My midwives showed up at about 6AM and I was 4cm at that point. They were able to stretch me to 6cm and get a bloody show as I hadn't lost my mucus plug up until then.

Contractions continued becoming more intense and I was doing laps around the house and squats against the side of the couch to make it through each contraction. I have no idea what time we all moved into my bedroom but it was decided that I was dehydrated and an IV was started at this point. Was told I was about 8-9cm and fully effaced but I kept telling them I had the urge to push. DH and midwife kept telling me to breath through each contraction and not bear down but the sensation was completely unbearable.

Ended up in a full squat with DH supporting me from behind and after four or five big pushes through that was laid on my back on the floor. I think it took about five big contractions with about 3-4 pushes with each to get her out but Lilliana Siobhan was born at 3:39 on Christmas Eve. DH cut the cord (which he said he wouldn't do) so I was so proud.

This is where things got really scary as after 20 minutes my placenta wasn't coming away. We started abdominal massage and nipple stimulation and at 40 minutes the midwife said she would give me 5 more minutes. At 45 minutes with no signs of detachment I was given a shot of pitocin. At I'm assuming 50-55 minutes the midwife made the call to EMS and started a manual removal of the placenta. This was probably more painful than the unmedicated labor and birth I had just gone through. As we heard the sirens in front of the house she was able to get the entire thing to cleanly detach as paramedics basically stormed our bedroom. They started me on an antibiotic drip due to how far inside the uterus she had to go to remove everything and I lost about 500mL of blood. (Not a lot by some standards, but after the marathon of labor I was so woozy). I didn't need a transport since the placenta came away cleanly, and this is why we did a home birth in the first place to stay out of the hospital.

Anyway, all's well that end's well and we are all so happy and in love with our little girl. She weighed exactly 8 lbs! She is so alert and active we're surprised she's a newborn at all.

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 11
Congratulations on your home birth! That's great that the midwives were able to get the placenta out without transferring you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->