Line with nutrients direct to the heart

Faerie

Proud Mummy
Reaction score
Has anyone's baby been given a line direct to the heart that feeds them nutrients? Because that's what I was told my baby will have when he's born, and I didn't write it down and can't remember what it's called.

Also, I know there are going to be lots of wires coming out, so am I right in thinking the baby won't need clothes for the time he's in intensive care? He will have this line in for about 3 weeks.

My baby has a congenital defect called gastroschsis and although hopefully we will make it to 37 weeks so therefore not exactly prem, he is going to be very small.

Hi
Am not sure sbout the nutrient line thing, sorry.

In terms of clothes, whilst babies are in incubators they do often wear
sleepsuits/babygroes. Poppy was only naked when under the phototherapy lamp. She did have one arm out of the sleeve though, where she had her drip in.

Hope everything goes well with the birth and that your baby will be ok :hug:
xx

Thank you! After much googling last night I figured out it's called TPN or total parental nutrition.

That's helpful about the babygrows, was wondering if I should stop buying stuff ;) But I think that even when baby comes out of hospital after 3 weeks s/he will still probably be rather small so I've been buying prem and newborn.

Hi, Mikayla had TPN for a week. They tried to put a long line in but couldn't so she had hers fed through an umbilical line.
She doesn't have a heart condition though, i presumed this is how they fed all prem or sick babies until strong enough to feed on milk.
Mikayla was very sick due to poor birth but shes OK now and came home this week.
xxx Take care

My daughter had TPN for a few days until they put her onto breast milk via a tube in her nose, they were going to put it through a central line (a tube inserted into a main artery), but they couldnt get one in, so they put it through her cannula (drip tap in her foot) instead. It really is very common for prem babies to be put on this, please do not worry too much. xx

Thank ladies. Gastroschisis involves a hole in the abdomen which the bowels come out of, so they wouldn't be able to do it through an umbilical line as they will be doing surgery there.

I've been told the baby will be on TPN for at least 3 weeks before they can start to feed breast milk through a nose tube. Guess I'll feed the rest of the ward until then :)

Thank ladies. Gastroschisis involves a hole in the abdomen which the bowels come out of, so they wouldn't be able to do it through an umbilical line as they will be doing surgery there.

I've been told the baby will be on TPN for at least 3 weeks before they can start to feed breast milk through a nose tube. Guess I'll feed the rest of the ward until then :)

You'll be able to express milk for 3 weeks so you'll have a good supply ready for when baby is well enough for mil.
Its a scary time being in SCBU, take care :hugs:

hi, a couple of the babies in yorkhill sick kids (where my wee girl is) had this condition and it was treated/operated on and they are both home now. They were on tpn for 3/4 weeks till they were strong enough for milk. You will be able to express. Dont worry about the tpn its normal for babies to get this, my wee girl was on it for 4 months. Your baby will recover and then get mummys milk!!

Take care xxx

Thank you for your kind words and sharing your stories ladies. I feel "lucky" that I'm having so much time to prepare for having baby in SCBU, though I don't think anything could possibly really prepare us for it.

Noah was on and off TPN for a long time. When he first was born he had the IV through the umbilical cord, then after 3 days I think, they inserted a PIC line into is leg, which looks like it is painful but better then an IV because when Noah had IV's he would pull them out, and ended up being stick all over the places,he even had one in his head.

Oh gawd I hope the baby doesn't try and pull it out of his heart!! It has to go through the heart with gastroschisis babies apparently. Obviously can't go through the umbilical cord coz that's the area they'll be operating on.

Has anyone's baby been given a line direct to the heart that feeds them nutrients? Because that's what I was told my baby will have when he's born, and I didn't write it down and can't remember what it's called.

Also, I know there are going to be lots of wires coming out, so am I right in thinking the baby won't need clothes for the time he's in intensive care? He will have this line in for about 3 weeks.

My baby has a congenital defect called gastroschsis and although hopefully we will make it to 37 weeks so therefore not exactly prem, he is going to be very small.

Hello sorry for crashing your thread, yours is the first i have come across with a congential heart defect, mine also has one. They are between 2 for mine as obviously heart is very small on scan have to see cardioligist again on 22 April which seems long time.

How are you coping with it all? Its very scary eh?

Jx

Hello sorry for crashing your thread, yours is the first i have come across with a congential heart defect, mine also has one. They are between 2 for mine as obviously heart is very small on scan have to see cardioligist again on 22 April which seems long time.

How are you coping with it all? Its very scary eh?

Jx

:hug: Baby doesn't have a heart defect, it's a abdominal wall defect meaning the bowels are on the outside, however he'll have a line to his heart as they can't feed the TPN through the umbilical area like they'd normally do.

You're right though, it is very scary finding out about any defect, which hospital are you at? xxx

Hi, Just read your other thread on the pregnancy and see that now.
Your very brave coping with everything! Crutches as well! Sometimes i feel its a case of if you dont laugh you cry!

I Live in Perthshire but my baby will be operated on at Yorkhill in Glasgow. Its very scary and early days for me in terms of birth plan etc etc. Its amazing the things they can do these days, Not long for you to go now.
Am sure things will be just fine and admire your bravery in dealing with it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->