Literal child

alibaba24

Reaction score
For 2 years now iv been humming and hawing about whether my daughter is on the autism spectrum. Iv been told its highly unlikely. She does have a language disorder though . anyway yesterday my friend said "my heads bursting" and my DD said "does it need the toilet?" Of course we laughed and she laughed with us but I don't think she was getting the funny part I asked her to heads have bums?! She giggled And said no then went on to make a few funny remarks re heads needing to pee! Another example is if I say "how many times do I need to tell you??" She will give me a number lol obviously when I google literal the first thing all over is autism. My question is are some kids literal without being autistic ? I think it could be to do with her language issues also. She's not literal all of the time . not that I mind but I'm getting nowhere with her reviews and appointments so just wanted the experience of other parents. She is 5

I'd definitely say so. Both I as a child and my 5yr old presently were very literal.

Phrases like "pull your socks up" "my heads banging" leave her bemused and unsure what's going on.

Some children can be naturally quite literal and they have a different sense of humour to the 'norm' or simply need to learn to 'get' jokes

Another reason for being literal can be aspergers instead of autism

Sounds totally normal for 5 to me? Sometimes they just miss the joke (as in head needing the loo because it was bursting) because they are just little. And the how many times do I have to tell you question, I would hedge a bet that probably LOADS of children aged 5 will answer with a number, it's really normal for them to give an answer because they think you want one as you are giving them into trouble (well not trouble but you know what I mean).

My friend was actually complaining of a headache maybe its a Scottish term lol but it wasn't that she missed the joke but there's also the saying of "bursting for the toilet" so she has made that type of connection I think there's also a chance she misheard it and thought she was saying she needed the toilet

Autism is many things being literally minded is a very small part of it and a constant. Maybe do some research into the triad of impairments. Sounds like normal 5 years old behaviour though

A kid can definitely be literal without being autistic and at 5, I wouldn't be concerned about it. At 5, many kids are literal and have to learn what figurative speech means. It sounds like she was learning and able to expand upon her learning by making jokes. Does she seem more literal than her friends?

When I look back, I was probably similar at that age. I remember being told to "toe the line" (behave) and I went and pointed my toe on the door bar! I remember getting a row for it and being really confused as I had done as I was asked.

Another example was I was pointing at body parts asking their names. I pointed at my head and my mum told me it was my forehead. I asked if it was going to be my five head soon!

Yes of course!! Phrases like, "My head's bursting!" are new to them and they won't have any idea about what it means the first time they hear it. The fact that she laughed and made jokes about heads needing a wee would definitely make me think she's not autistic. X

Most "traits" are seen in most children (and adults), it has to constant and in the make up the triad of impairments to be autism, like Nic said.

Thanks all. Funnily she's taken the phrase on board as she said "I have a hea...my heads bursting!" 😂😀

When I look back, I was probably similar at that age. I remember being told to "toe the line" (behave) and I went and pointed my toe on the door bar! I remember getting a row for it and being really confused as I had done as I was asked.

Another example was I was pointing at body parts asking their names. I pointed at my head and my mum told me it was my forehead. I asked if it was going to be my five head soon!

Lol that is so funny such a shame you got in trouble though 😞

This is very normal, at 5 they'e still figuring things out and used to learning new things all the time; for all your DD knows heads could burst! Scary thought :haha:.
My DS is 4 and he takes a lot of things literally. Recently DH said "let's just call it a day" and DS said "...a day" and expected something to happen :haha:

This is very normal, at 5 they'e still figuring things out and used to learning new things all the time; for all your DD knows heads could burst! Scary thought :haha:.
My DS is 4 and he takes a lot of things literally. Recently DH said "let's just call it a day" and DS said "...a day" and expected something to happen :haha:

Haha! That's so funny and adorable 😍

My friend was actually complaining of a headache maybe its a Scottish term lol but it wasn't that she missed the joke but there's also the saying of "bursting for the toilet" so she has made that type of connection I think there's also a chance she misheard it and thought she was saying she needed the toilet

I think if she were autistic she wouldn't use or "get" using 'bursting' for needing the toilet either, as that is metaphorical.

My nearly 5 year old also tells me a number if I ask "how many times have I told you" - I wonder if it is to do with schooling; they are so used to being asked questions involving counting!

I think if she were autistic she wouldn't use or "get" using 'bursting' for needing the toilet either, as that is metaphorical.

My nearly 5 year old also tells me a number if I ask "how many times have I told you" - I wonder if it is to do with schooling; they are so used to being asked questions involving counting!

Thank you I never thought of that x

My LO is similar, when I asked Jacob how much he loves me, he said 'a hundred thousand and one' :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->