Little Ollie Bun's Birth Story

hb1

Mummy to Oliver
Reaction score
I woke up at 4.30am on Friday 21st Jan with contractions – started timing them and they were 7 mins apart, told OH to work from home. The contractions went back to 15 mins apart around lunchtime then were back to 7 mins apart by tea time when I had a mw appt. My mw confirmed that I was fully effaced, soft but only 1cm and posterior so she gave me a sweep. I lost a large portion of mucous plug later at home and I got my tens machine on – the contraction carried on at 7 mins apart and early. Saturday morning they got closer together – getting to 5 mins apart for over an hour so we went in – the journey in seemed to interrupt my contractions and they slowed down again. When I was examined I was 2cm – so we went home.

Contractions carried on – about 8mins apart all Saturday and again that night they sped back up to 5 mins apart – again went in and same thing happened.

Sunday we carried on with the contractions around 7 mins apart – it was hard as they never really let up from the Friday so I couldn’t get any real sleep. I kept doing my breathing and relaxations the whole time and used the tens machine. So glad my OH was there as he really kept me focused.

Sunday night they got to 4 mins apart so we went in – again – this time we were 4cm dilated so we stayed in – I had a codeine tablet for the pain and got 3 hours of broken sleep – the contractions however really dropped off to half hourly and when they checked me at 8am I was still 4cm – we had a lovely MW come in at 8am and she said we could try the birthing pool – to see if a change of scenery might help. The pool room was lovely but the contractions stayed too far apart – so at 1pm on Monday afternoon it was either a case of induction or go home and see if anything happened – so we went home.

Over the Monday afternoon the contractions did move closer together again at 9pm my waters broke and my contractions were 5 mins apart– so we had to go back in. When we went in the MW didn’t do an internal – which looking back now really annoys me. My resolve at this point was low so I asked about an epidural – the mw felt I was coping with the contractions and so wasn’t in established labour ( without doing the internal ) so I would require induction to get there and get the epi – I really didn’t care at this point and said that would be fine but the mw advised that they were so busy I would have to wait for that – gave me a couple of codeine and left us to it – this was around 2.30am. The contractions carried on at 5 mins and then they got to 2-3mins by 6am we called again and asked them to check if I was in established labour – I got my 1st internal for that evening/morning and was fully dilated!! Too late for the epi – the same mw gave me the gas and air and just said to call when I was ready to push – didn’t tell me what I should be doing or anything – in hind sight am a bit peeved with her – if she had done an internal when I got there she might have found me further on than she assumed I was.

Thankfully she went off shift at 8am and the nice MW from the day before came on – she was brill – she knew we wanted as natural a birth as possible but also knew I was on a time limit with a baby who was back to back – she really coached me through pushing ( not the gentle breathing the baby out in the birthing pool that I’d hoped for ). They decided that after such a long time contracting that my uterus was so tired that the contractions weren’t strong enough so I was hooked up to induction drugs and Ollie had a clip on his head. I pushed with all my strength and he really started to move – his heart rate never faltered :) - after 2 hrs 37 mins of hard work, and with the senior mw constantly looking towards forceps or c-section, I got Ollie out!! He was not only back to back but had his hand over his face and cord round his neck!! And weighed 9lb 7 oz!! Needless to say I needed stitches – 3 tears in my labia and a 2nd degree tear in my perineum ( owwwww!! )

They really advised against the physiological third stage as it had been such a long latent phase and a hard labour that they really felt I was in danger of bleeding out – we agreed ( it helped that I really trusted this MW – she was fab! ) and the placenta was out within minutes.

We did skin to skin straight away and breast fed soon after – it was all very surreal at this point – what I did know though was my little boy was perfect and I was totally in love.

Our first week has been a whirlwind – just getting our bearings now – got through the early days of bf and Ollie’s reluctance to be put down and feeling really positive now.

Ollie is just beautiful – he has a wonderful temperament and I can’t stop looking at him :) :cloud9:

hx

Wow Helen what a birth story indeed. I can't believe how long you were in labour for, you must have been so utterly exhausted. You are such a star for tolerating it for that long and well done you on getting Ollie out with just G&A. I can imagine how much you must have wanted an epi at that time, and I feel bad that the midwife was not as good as she should have been. You did a great job, and I guess after all that time in labour and your pushing stage not to mention a big boy I am not surprised you had some tearing. That's really not fun is it? It will get better soon.

Glad the placenta was out in a few minutes.. I think the midwife was right on that one for sure.

Glad to hear Ollie is feeding well and I am just so excited to hear all about it. All we need now my dear is some more pictures.

Jox

Well done H you are hardcore! D was hand-over-face too, but not so chunky ;) Jo is right, more pics pls! xxx

OH HB well done, that was a gruelling labour - glad you had a good midwife with you during the important bits!! Can't wait to see a pic of Oli xxxxxxx

Oh H, what a lovely story, I am tearful now! You did so well, what a loooong weekend that was eh, with a wonderful gift at the end. Enjoy every moment xxxxxxx

hb, I think we had the same due date- the 13th? I too was pee-d off that during my labour they didn't check my dilation....read my story!! Anyway, congratulations and well done for sticking natural :thumbup:

Well done Helen, sounds like a bit of an ordeal but you got in there in the end. You must have been really tired. I hope you're feeling very proud of yourself. Can't wait to see pictures of the main man. Enjoy evry minute because it flies sooooo quick xx

Great story h - you really are a star! Hope you are healing well and enjoying life with your special little man. xxx

Here are some pics :)

Attachments

• 100_0697.jpg
    100_0697.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0698.jpg
    100_0698.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0702.jpg
    100_0702.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_0703.jpg
    100_0703.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0708.jpg
    100_0708.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 9
Oh he is GORGE! Love that stripey sleepsuit :cloud9:

and some more :)

Attachments

• Daddy_Ollie_Just_Home_1.jpg
    Daddy_Ollie_Just_Home_1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Helen_Ollie_Just_Home_4.jpg
    Helen_Ollie_Just_Home_4.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Ollie_Helen_Just_Born_2.jpg
    Ollie_Helen_Just_Born_2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Ollie_In_Hospital_4.jpg
    Ollie_In_Hospital_4.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 6
  • Ollie_Moses_Basket_1.jpg
    Ollie_Moses_Basket_1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 11
He is absolutely gorgeous Helen, I know you probably hear that from everyone but he really is xxx

Soooooooo cute h! Love that last photo, cute little baby frown (followed by a cry no doubt!). xxx

Helen - your pictures are ace. I love the 3rd one in the 2nd batch when Ollie is just looking at you. Well done he is gorgeous.

Helen....congratulations!! Ollie is gorgeous! You did so well for being in labour for that amount of time, I can't even imagine! The photos are lovely too. You should be proud of yourself!!
Em xx

Helen....congratulations!! Ollie is gorgeous! You did so well for being in labour for that amount of time, I can't even imagine! The photos are lovely too. You should be proud of yourself!!
Em xx

Congratulations HB! You did so well, can't believe you was in labour for that long, you really are a star. Glad the midwife was nice for your final push. He is adorable! Well done you, and congratulations again! xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->