LO does not like baby rice does this mean she is not ready for weaning?

babyboo29

Reaction score
My LO is 4 months old, I tried her on baby rice a few times now and she just scrunches her face up and spits it straight out. I realise that she needs to learn to swallow the food but she really seems like she does not like it. I need some advice, should I try other food like fruit and veg or wait a little longer to wean her. She seems so interested when we are eating.:shrug:

I only really have experience of my LO but when I tried him with baby rice he swallowed it straight away and wanted more, so it might be worth leaving it for a bit longer? It's recommended that you wait until 6 months now, although I did wean earlier than that. She might just be interested in your food but not ready to eat it herself yet x

Showing an interest in food doesn't mean LO is ready to eat it. My LO shows an interest in everything I do, like putting on make up, straightening my hair, as well as eating. They don't know what food is yet and certainly doesn't need it at 4 months unless there is a specific medical problem, so don't feel that there is anything wrong with waiting.

Thanks for the replies, I will wait a little longer, only tried her on baby rice as HV advised that I could wean her. She was sleeping through but has has started waking for feeds, she must be going through a growth spurt.

around 4 months is one of the biggest growth spurts...night waking for extra milk feeds is common but unfortunately alot of people mistake it for a need to wean.
milk contains a far more concentrated amount of calories and nurtients than the same volume of pureed veg etc so its a bit of a misconception that moving onto solids would be better during a growth spurts.

all babies r interested in things their parents do. i think they become interested long before they're really ready to eat solids because they are begining to learn by watching. don't worry hun, just wait a while.

i think its naughty of ur HV to advise u to wean this early without there being a medical issue :nope: the recommendations say 6 month+...infact a baby can thrive fine on milk alone for a couple of years!

also u don't have to start ur LO on babyrice. i think people tend to go for babyrice if they're weaning earlier than 6 months coz its blander and can b mixed with milk to make the transition 'easier' but if u do wait u can start with anything...have u ever read anything on BLW?

i weaned my little girlat the same time my HV said it was fine...... she was on 9 oz bottles and wanted more so food it was..its totally your choice when you wean 6 months is a guideline and most foods state 4months plus on them

well in my opinion baby rice is bland no taste at all.... i weaned lilly with breakfast ceral for 4month{+} you can look for something abit flavoured on the baby section the ceral is full of fruit so good and yummie lilly never had the rice just cerals to start with good luck hun. xxx

oh and you mix the ceral with there milk too so still some goodness

I weaned Paddy at about 15 weeks due to milk not filling him any more and he would never eat baby rice and to be honest I dont blame him it tastes like wall paper paste! I started weaning also on the heinz breakfast cereals they are all fruity flavours and i mixed them with his milk xxx

morgan liked the rice for bout a wk then thiink he thought it were so boring, plus he cud taste the milk n wanted bottle instead, u can get babyrice with apple/bannana or try some honey in the normal rice might do bit better,up2 now morgan only has dinner coshes gone all night so loves a bottle on a morning, tea time he always ends up waking his self up doing a poo in the night so dinner times best for us at the moment, he has mash/carrots/broccili etc :thumbup:

try some honey in the normal rice might do bit better,:

Sorry but honey is unsuitable until at least a year due a to risk of it containing spores than can cause a serious disease called infant botulism.

If you want to sweeten LO's cereal, you could add 100% fruit spread, they contain only naturally occuring sugars and you can get in most supermarkets :)

Maybe it was too thick?? I've noticed Rocco scrunched up his face when I gave him a veggie that was a little thicker than what he's used to.

yeah I thought that too so tried it a little runny but she still did not seem so keen. I am going to leave it for a few weeks and try again but with fruity baby porridge.

HV today said if they don't like it wait a week before retrying. If you like bland foods chances are baby will too so try something that you like.

I took my time with Rocco. Dr told us we could give him baby rice at 4 months. He spit it out. She said if he did that to wait and try in a few more weeks. I did, and he was ok then. She also suggested giving veggies first as some babies will take to the sweetness of fruit and then not like veggies. Just a thought.

My LO is 4 months old, I tried her on baby rice a few times now and she just scrunches her face up and spits it straight out. I realise that she needs to learn to swallow the food but she really seems like she does not like it. I need some advice, should I try other food like fruit and veg or wait a little longer to wean her. She seems so interested when we are eating.:shrug:

hiya,

my baby is 11 weeks and when she first tried baby rice she spat it out aswell!

my HV told my to mix it with fresh banana and she now loves it! try banana porridge aswell!

intresting thread. Mylo is the same.. showing intrest in the smells of food and when we put some saucy or gravy on our finger and on his lips he licks them and like it. Told HV and she said try to saty off weaning til 6 months.. and I am in no rush.. cos that will be just another thing I have to prepare! lol.. but Mylo is showing intrest and sits up well with support.. but hates the baby rie. I thought the baby rice was the initial thing that everyone tries first but obviously not. I tried him 4 days ago and he spat it out. I'll try the fruity porridge see how he goes.. but if he spits that out aswell i'll wait the remaining 7 weeks till hes 6 months. He doesnt sleep through the night.. still wakes every 4 hours. Just transferred him to hungrier baby milk a fortnight ago and hes lapping that up.. but not sleeping more than 4 hours at a time. I wonder if I wean him he will sleep through?

intresting thread. Mylo is the same.. showing intrest in the smells of food and when we put some saucy or gravy on our finger and on his lips he licks them and like it. Told HV and she said try to saty off weaning til 6 months.. and I am in no rush.. cos that will be just another thing I have to prepare! lol.. but Mylo is showing intrest and sits up well with support.. but hates the baby rie. I thought the baby rice was the initial thing that everyone tries first but obviously not. I tried him 4 days ago and he spat it out. I'll try the fruity porridge see how he goes.. but if he spits that out aswell i'll wait the remaining 7 weeks till hes 6 months. He doesnt sleep through the night.. still wakes every 4 hours. Just transferred him to hungrier baby milk a fortnight ago and hes lapping that up.. but not sleeping more than 4 hours at a time. I wonder if I wean him he will sleep through?

I know people bang on about it, but some babies will sleep through and some won't... weaning hasn't made any difference to mine!

I don't think you have to give baby rice, I haven't given Sofia purees but my friends over her who have started their babies off on carrot as first food.

well I tried the fruity porridge today and he liked it!! Didnt give him much mind.. but it was all gone after 15 mins and towards the end he stopped spitting it out. ..just unsure what mealtime to offer it now. Today was 12noon ish. between bottles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->