LO throwing up

jess_smurf

Angel Kristian & Olivia
Reaction score
I can set my watch by it and it scaring me

10pm she will projectile vomit everywhere she is gaining 2oz a day 4 wks old not sure why its happening any advice? ?

THanks

On demand but she has put herself into a routine cluster feeds 8pm-10pm throws up feeds till 11pm goes to sleep and wakes 3am 6am then usually goes to 9.30pm
All this she has done herself usually feeds 2hrly on a growth spurt but otherwise set her own routine

Im happy to feed on demand

Well honestly since she is gaining it's not really an issue. You could try to get her to feed more during the day to avoid the cluster at night and maybe allow a feed at 8-9 then see if she will go to sleep.

Are you saying she's projectile vomitting for a whole hour? or does she vomit, go back on the boob, vomit, got back on the boob, etc. for an hour?

My baby tends to do this when she eats too much. Sometimes she falls into a light sleep on the boob, but keeps flutter-sucking/playing with the nipple and thus I keep having let-downs, which she sleepily drinks, ignoring the fact that she is full, because she's sleepy. Then she wakes up and grizzles with what I assume must be stomach ache. Four times out of five she will then projectile-spit everything, before returning to her usual cheerful self. She suffers a little with mild reflux, mostly the silent kind where the milk comes up but doesn't usually come out, and this tends to be worst at the end of a day full of feeds.

Your baby may be over-filling herself by cluster feeding, or swallowing a lot of air while feeding which then brings up the milk when it comes out. You can try to remedy this if the spit-up bothers you, but if it's not bothering your baby it's likely just that - harmless spit-up. Actual vomiting usually causes a baby to become very upset and shocked.

If she's gaining well, don't worry too much, but if it happens more frequently it could be a sign of pyloric stenosis which requires surgery.

Most babies do projectile-spit though at some point, and my daughter goes through refluxy and not-so-refluxy stages. I think you're fine. Doctors will help though if you're worried. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->