Location, Location, Location, Why are some ladies being offered 2 scans?

msdynamite365

Mother of one
Reaction score
Anyway as i was saying......i noted that some ladies are being offered 2 scans, one before theri 12 week appt. Is this standard.........? I have an appt with the midwife on the 18th Dec and a scan on the 7th Jan, not sure if the appt on the 19th will be a scan...i be at Mayday Hospital, Croydon........anyone can help......cheersx

I think it depends on your previous history. I have a history of miscarriage and also 2 uteruses so I have early scans based on this. Sometimes people are given early scans if there is a real unknown re. date of conception or things like that.
Another reason is if you're experiencing unusual cramping and or bleeding.

carmello_01- did you say you have 2 uteruses? i've seen an episode of greys anatomy that featured someone with two but i didn't think that was possible

I am patiently waiting for the midwife to call me. However would like to call up myself and just tell her she is being too slow. Not sure how well that would go down! Hate the fact that in the UK we have to wait til 12 weeks to see if everything is ok.

This is my first pregnancy and I am classed as "low risk" so I have been bumped off home to wait endlessly to know if everything is ok!

I only had one because I was in the hospital anyways on a drip for dehydration and I kept begging the midwife to have one so she snuck me in since I was there overnight. I think if you have any problems or previous history of miscarriage, they scan you right away. If not, they make you wait til 12 weeks-15 weeks.

Yep, I have to wait till 12 wks. We've booked a private one for next week (around 7 wks) anyway for £50.

I will get 2 but one is at 12 weeks for dating then another at 20 weeks which is the anomoly scan. When I was 6-7 weeks I was dying to have a scan and felt time was dragging but now I'm nearly 10 weeks (on sat according to midwife) and now I only have to wait until 30th dec! With Xmas coming up it's takes my mind off the wait!!!! X

I am probably the most scanned woman atm, I have had 4 and I have another today.

But one was an emergancy one at 7 weeks, then i had one schedualed due to my history of MC at 7 +4 so I still went along, then I had a private one at 9 weeks, then on Tuesday St Mary's in Manchester took over my care, so gave me a quick one just to see how baby was. But I have my normal 12 week one today!

They will only give early scanns if you have a histroy of losses of propblems with health or if its an emergancy I think.

But I definately think if you are in a position to, private scans are defo worth every penny xxx

Its dependent on your history and pct.

My pct has a standard policy of one at 12 and 20 weeks. I had an ectopic and can have as many scans up to 12 weeks, albeit the baby is in the right place and I dont want to abuse this. I have had two already and dont envisage any more until 12 weeks.

I will pay for a gender scan at 25 weeks as my pct wont reveal gender.

If you are going for an earlier scan I would wait til 9 or 10 weeks - as you won't see much. Also early scans can cause more worry than not having them...if you don;t see a heartbeat, no fetal pole etc etc. These usually still result in a healthy pregnancy, but the worry the can cause is sometimes not worth it. I had to wait for mine, and while it was hard, I was just thankful I had no reason for an early scan, unlike many ladies on here.

I am not in the UK but just as a data point: here in NL we generally get one at about 10-12 weeks and one at 20 weeks. I fought (and I really had to fight) for one this week as I had so much bleeding over several days that I was sure I wasn't pregnant any more, but they wanted me to wait another 5 weeks to find out ... I couldn't have coped with that! Turned out there was, incredibly, a bean with a heartbeat! I've been warned not to expect too much given the bleeding but now I just need to wait until my 10-12 week scan for followup.

So no, here in NL you will only get extra early scans if you are very pushy and/or have a history of problems or complications.

i have a history of ectopics and m/c's so i have a early scan at 6wks, and sometimes again at 8 weeks im not sure if they will do that this time though as if baby in correct place i should be ok to wait till 12 weeks. then we have one at 20 weeks. I will also have some later on in pregnancy cuse i carry big babies lol so they normally do growth scans, had to be induced with my last as he was measuring 6 weeks ahead and sure enough at 2 weeks early he was a 10lber if id gone full term or over they guessed he would have been 11-12lbs!! eeek

Yep, I have to wait till 12 wks. We've booked a private one for next week (around 7 wks) anyway for £50.

are you in the UK chick? I was pondering a private scan but was nto sure if it would cost the earth.

how do you go about it?

I don't think it has anything to do with the location. I think everywhere is in UK offers 2 scans at about 12 weeks (between 11 and 13+6 at my trust) and 20 weeks for low risk women without previous complications. If you are high risk you may be given more, especially earlier in the case of previous ectopic etc. I have my nuchal scan next week but had to have an emergency appointment on Monday due to hypertension and they scanned me then too (at 10+6), which was unexpected but reassured me there was a baby there! I felt a bit bad though as my OH wasn't with me as I didn't know they would scan me. I still have my nuchal scan next week and my 20 w anomoly scan and I have to have an extra one at 18 weeks because of the hypertension (but it's not a regular ultrasound, it a uterine artery doppler).
I had also been contemplating a private scan as this is my first pregnancy - I had googled pregnancy ultrasound North London and found Babybond near me doing private scans where you could book appointments online for pretty much the next day. I think they charged about 100 pounds. Sorry can't be more helpful as didn't need to go there in the end!

Hi beatnick

I'm in your exact position - apparently I'm 'low risk' (although I've never been pregnant before so this is just based on my past medical history - they have no idea if everything's ok 'in there') so I have to wait to 12 weeks as well, which I find totally ridiculous. I can't even see a midwife until then (I'll be at St Thomas in Central London). It's my first so I'm obviously extremely nervous and worried about everything but the doctors just keep telling me to ask a midwife. I haven't even heard from my midwife yet - I was referred two weeks ago and have had to call the hospital to ask them what's going on and when I'd hear since they hadn't made contact with me… Makes me wonder why we pay such a stupid amount of taxes… OH and I have decided to have a private scan next week (I'll be 7w 2d) because we want to relax a bit (I still can't quite believe there's a baby in there, despite feeling so horrendous!) and start telling close family over Christmas. I'm going to the London Ultrasound Centre which is costing £150 (it's just by Harley Street which is probably why!) but it's worth every penny just for some peace of mind.

xx

This is my 2nd pregnancy, I mc my first at just under 9 weeks (mmc found at 11+5 when started bleeding), if I have an early US and everything is fine I forfiet my 12 week as they only do the dating here not NT. Although it is hard, at the minute I have to agree with the philosophy of 'it doesn't matter how many scans u have it will not change the outcome', if there is no signs of anything wrong enjoy it and the 12 week one will be all the more special. I fully expect to panic at 9 weeks but know that as to last time having one earlier wouldn't have made any difference...

Just my experience and opinion xx

I think that's the right way to go Mum2bewaiting - it was hard waiting for our 12 weeks scan, but when we had it it was so special. We saw an actual baby and a heartbeat. Baby was flipping about everywhere and the scan was so clear. I was anxious before we had it, with being my first as well, and of course I worried about what we would see, and if everything would be okay. But I think if I had an earlier scan and there was no heartbeat, or the baby was measuring too small for dates...which happens in perfectly healthy pregnancies, then I would have put myself under way too much stress and worry, which in the long run is not good for baby. Also, you cannot change any outcome - and I think if it was better to have scans before 12 weeks, then that would be the norm in the NHS.
Again - just my opinion. I understand the anxious wait and the feelings you get in those 12 weeks as I have been there. But I think the high potential for undue worry outweighs the wait.

i will be having a dating scan on monday..... if they cant get a clear view of LO then i will have to go back but thats it till the 20 week scan xxx

I'm in Surrey, UK and have been told I will get a scan at 13 weeks and another at 20 weeks. I paid £99 for a private scan (which was last weekend) as my hubby is self-employed so it worked out cheaper than him taking a day off :)

Oh, and I arranged my scan through www.babybond.com :thumbup:

oh im sorry i cant help. my first will be at 15 weeks :| im also at mayday though. didnt want to read + run xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->