Long-haul travel with a newborn?

ladywife

Reaction score
Hello my fellow WTT sisters! I'm not very active here, I lurk a lot and read posts but I haven't had the time to really actively participate on any forums so I just like to get online and read from other like-minded individuals. Forgive me! :flower:

I think the time is nearing where my husband and I will *finally* TTC. Looks like things are finally getting right and July 2015 is our predicted TTC date. Hurray! Living with baby fever is getting increasingly harder every month.

Anyway, my question is this: Are there any mothers out there who've taken their newborns on long-haul plane trips? I'm talking about 20+ hours? The reason is this, I moved about 3 years ago around the world, we're literally now on the opposite side of the planet. When I travel home, it can take anywhere from 22 to 30 hours with at least one 12-14 hour flight and around two 3 to 6 hour flights plus layovers to get home. I'm really uncomfortable about labor and delivery away from my mom and sister, and I know quite a few mothers here who always return to the states for delivery. (Unfortunately I'm not close enough with any of these women to ask "HOW DID YOU TRAVEL?!:wacko:)

DH and I were discussing our options of delivering here or traveling home, and we ultimately decided that if I feel more comfortable being in an environment I feel safe and at ease in, that's the best decision. I'd leave at around 6 months and stay about a month after delivery before making the long trip. I've read a few articles about traveling with baby, but nothing compares to first-hand advice and experiences! So, anyone here travel with a newborn for an extended amount of time, and if so, can you help ease my anxiety? Please and thank you!

I've never travelled that far with DD, but based on the travelling I have done with her, I found it so much easier when she was still very young. They usually sleep most of the time around that age, so I'd buy a good wrap/carrier and just wear the baby as much as possible on your chest. Just make sure you pack enough diapers/wipes/change of clothes/feeding supplies if you don't breastfeed/whatever else baby needs. Hope you get it figured out! :flower:

My son was older when we first traveled long distance with him (8 months, I think), but I'd agree with the previous post. They really do just eat, sleep, and poop for the first bit, and traveling young is easier than older! If you choose to and are able to breastfeed, that will be a big help. A good wrap/carrier will be super helpful, too. Would you be traveling solo with baby, or would your husband or other family accompany you? It would definitely help to have an extra pair of hands to carry stuff through airports.

The main concern you'd want to consider is that your newborn won't be old enough for vaccines, and traveling will expose your newborn to lots of germs. I would wipe down everything with disinfecting wipes and not let anyone near your little bambino.

I'd try to figure out a way to ask the moms you know who did travel about their experiences because they'll have info specific to the airports/locations you'll likely be traveling through. You'll be able to find out where lactation/changing rooms in various airports are, which airlines are the most accommodating, etc. Most moms are happy to blab on and on about their experiences! ;-)

I've only had good flying experiences with my son, and we've been on several long flights. :) People are always really helpful and kind. I haven't had a single negative experience. Not even a dirty glare when he starts wailing. We are leaving in two weeks for an 11 hour jaunt, and he's recently fallen in love with airplanes, so it's going to add a whole new awesome dynamic!

Thanks so much for both of your input! It really helps quell some of my anxiety. It makes sense that traveling young would be easier, in my head I imagined a wailing inconsolable infant but I always tend to think of the worst first. Ha.

Also, thanks for the good tip on disinfecting SpringCrane, I hadn't thought about that yet. :dohh: Now I might consider staying stateside awhile longer..

<3 Thanks again ladies.

If you can stay stateside longer, then waiting until the first round of vaccines is probably a good idea. Something else to just be cognizant of is colic and/or the "witching hour" possibility. My little guy was a bit of a screamer in the late afternoon/evening time--his crying phase peaked at about 6 weeks old. You could potentially wait to make return travel plans until after you know what kind of kid you were dealt ;-)

Thanks so much for asking this, lady wife!! I am on the 'opposite side of the planet' as well and hoping to travel back for delivery. I'm wondering about exactly the same things, so I'll follow this post. Thanks to everyone who's already replied too.

Don't forget that it can take a little while to sort out the babies passport, so make sure you allow time for that in your plans. X

These replies are all fantastic, thanks everyone! We originally thought to travel one month after delivery because we'd be eager to get back to our own home and set up a routine, as well as we can't really afford for DH to take much more time off work than that which means if we delay traveling he'll have to return home first without me, leaving me to travel the distance alone with future baby. There's a lot to think about definitely, and I appreciate everyone's input! I'll see if I can't do a search online about this particular thing and see what some other mothers have done, and see if I can ask some of the mother's at work how they did it.

Immunizations, potential for colicky baby, passport duration and I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. Boy, am I glad I asked this!

Sakura, I'm so happy I'm not the only one in this boat! Maybe we can share information with each other and offer mutual support!

I came across an article on Pinterest and a lightbulb went off in my head. I don't know if links are OK in this forum so I'll wait to post it but it mentions to make reservations for airlines that provide baby cots for international travel.

I remember on a few of my flights there were these pull down table-looking things in the front row of economy and wondered what they were until I saw their use: they were for babies! The airlines provided small cots to put baby in on the fold-downs for a mini travel bassinet. At the time a baby was far from my mind so I didn't make a big mental note of it (other than the 'hmm, that's interesting!' aspect of it) but when I came across the article listing them as a benefit I went 'OH YEAH!' and thought I'd share.

I don't remember the specific Airline but I think it was British Airlines. A lot of airliners don't have them (or at least were not in use or that I even noticed.)
The article says to make arrangements for it at booking and to, of course, request the first row where they're located. I imagine they must be a lifesaver, that way baby won't always have to use you as a bed and hopefully mom can get some rest, too.

Anyone use these before? The cots they provided looked extremely flimsy, any idea if you can bring your own or if they're suitable at least? I'll look through the rules again and make sure I can post links and I'll put in the article later.

I didn't travel with my LO when she was a newborn but literally all she did for the first few months was nurse and sleep and need me to hold her 24/7, so that's all very doable on a plane! We did a really long road trip with her when she was about 3 months old and it was a nightmare, mostly because she hated being strapped in her seat and just wanted me to hold/nurse her, so I think flying would have been perfect for that.

I also think that people expect babies to cry on planes so it's not a big deal if you have some bursts of crying to deal with.

Happy to buddy up, ladywife! We're planning to TTC from August, fx all goes well and our journeys run parallel!

Good luck Sakura! It's looking like we'll hopefully be trying from August now, too, but I'll be traveling over summer. We're actually discussion moving now before we ttc so I'm praying that August is still going to be the month. Fingers crossed!

I haven't but I have been researching it along with travelling when pregnant because 1. we plan on a late honeymoon 5 months after wedding but i might be pregnant by then so bee looking into travelling while pregnant for that reason. And we go on one holiday a year and we want to go on a holiday as a family before I go back to work when baby is about 6 months.
Tips while travelling pregnant:
-Stockings to help circulation in legs
-Get up and walk around plane
-stay hydrated
Tips for travelling with a child under 1
-have nappies and changes of clothes -just in case-
-have some toys
-even if they don't use a dummy/pacifier give them one on take off and landing. Do this or breastfeed to help their ears.
-have something for discreet breastfeeding
-walk around plane with him/her
-let him/her sleep, try time naps so they are sleeping for most of ride, i.e. fight their sleep until after take off, let them fall asleep while breastfeeding on take off.
-don't freak out if he/she starts crying and don't feel guilty about it, your stress, the baby will feel and it will just make it worse.
-bring something to hold him/her comfortably (cushion, wrap) just because he/she will be comforted and warmed by your body, but even holding a newborn for that long will drain your arms so a sling gives them the comfort but keeps your arms free so you're not bored stiff!

if baby is only a month he/she will hopefully be sleeping a lot anyway and loads say it's easier flying before they can walk and are potty training because once their on their feet they want to be moving and not sitting. And you don't have the "i need a pee" when the fastened seatbelt sign is on.. even though you asked him/her 2 minutes ago if they needed to pee!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->