Long term iron levels - Ferittin

indigo_fairy

Mum of 2
Reaction score
Have any of you ladies had your iron tested in this way? My actual iron level is fine, but apparently my 'long term iron store' is low? Called Ferritin, mine was 6 which the MW said is low, so prescribed me iron tablets. But I'm a bit wary of anything my MW says as she shortly followed it with, "obviously we'll do another blood test at 36wks to make sure that has gone up because it'll affect your homebirth". I've heard that alot with ladies here wanting a HB, and usually the iron tablets and increasing iron in your diet will increase your actual levels, but I'm not sure about these levels? Would they even have the same affect? I've tried googling, but most info is about actual present levels.

I'm wondering if she might be trying to put things in the way of my HB plans, or maybe I'm just paranoid :shrug:

The blood test was primarily to see if I needed a GTT, but my RBS is 5.2 which is apparently fine, which I googled and it looks ok, so at least that is good.

Any advice appreciated! x

Now I realise why I wasn't getting much luck with Ferittin - how my MW spelt it! It's Ferritin lol and found quite a lot of info, would explain why I'm pretty exhausted, although I expect that in pregnancy. Although I've also got a kidney infection and a cold at the moment, so I put it down to them.

Any advice would still be welcomed, especially if you've had low levels :)

All I know about it is that the serum ferritin levels are a better indicator of actual low iron stores than just your haemoglobin levels, which I've heard of being used to put the block on a HB when it's not necessarily reflective of low iron. At least she's used the right test! It's quite a circular argument from what I understand though - if you're anaemic, it will be harder for you to recover if you suffer a PPH, but the risk of actually having a PPH is decreased with fewer interventions, so being at home means you're less likely to have one! The Home Birth reference site has a good section on low iron.

If you had PPH or any sort of bleeding problems last time then they'll obviously say you're 'at risk' and it would be important to get your iron stores up, so neck those iron tablets. If the tablets don't agree with you there's Floradix or that Spatone water (seen it in Superdrug) and the usual advice of take it with orange juice/vit C rather than tea.

i have low ferritin levels and required a post birth blood transfusion with EJ to bring me back to a safe level, he was fine and i didnt have a PPH , although my body was refusing to labour because of my low levels which ended with me being induced. im on supplements now, it can take awhile to build your levels up if they start out low , 6 is quite low

normal levels for a healthy woman are between 18-160, for a pregant women they like to see over 12 under that and your considered iron deficant anemic ( like me ) my levels post EJ's birth were 4.2 or somthing about there during pregnancy they hovered around a 9 at my 18wk blood test and when they found my 35wk blood test ( after birth in my notes id not been told ) they were 7.1 , i was taking supplements till EJ was 4 months old and my level then was 16 which they said i was fine to stop takign supplements at that point i restarted them without even asking the day i got my bfp caus i know it will be a problem for me,

Thanks for the advice ladies, have definately felt more with it and less like a zombie since taking the extra iron! Fingers crossed I get it up to a higher level :)

lynnikins, i have very low ferritan levels...mine are at 6.7...i am also 30 weeks pregnant. Very scared. Is there anyway to private msg you? i am new to this site....i see you have experience with this ...and really all i need right now is some re assurance!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->