Long time between appointments?

tulip2002

Reaction score
Wow its all changed since 5 years ago. I had my 16 week appointment at nearly 18 weeks and next one is at 28 weeks seem along time! Does everyone else have the same. Midwife did say they making alot of cut backs and dont really need to see u as much as they use to but will c u if u want to make appointment inbetween. I remember u use to have alot more!.

Same here, saw my mw at 16 weeks, my scan next week and then see her again at 28 weeks! I'm not fussed but it does seem strange.

That would drive me crazy! In the US we see the doctor typically monthly until 28 weeks, every two weeks after that until 36 weeks, then weekly until delivery

My last one was at 16 weeks and next is at 22. I think even that is quite long. To be honest, if I was you, I'd make another appointment in between. I mean, it's true, they don't do much. But things like blood pressure monitoring and listening to baby's heartbeat can still show up some issues that might develop, so I wouldn't want to go a whole 10 weeks without anyone having a look. Prenatal care in the uk is minimal anyway compared to other places.

Yeah I was thinking this too, I last got seen at 21 weeks and next one at 31 weeks with the community midwife, saying that I am being seen by consultant at 28 weeks at hospital but that is only because I'm high risk. Community midwifes seem to do less now, mine has moved venues too to a backroom in a leisure centre where there is no room at all to move around, talk about cut backs gone mad :wacko:

Wow that is a long time 😳 I have had a 10 weeks appt and 14 week appt. my next appt will be at 19 weeks for check up and ultrasound. My midwife sees me monthly until about 35 weeks and then it goes to weekly generally.

I got told and it's on my appointment list that it's because it's second or more baby. With first you usually have a gp or midwife appointment in between 16 and 28 weeks. It's crazy that 3 months between appointments is seen as enough for second babies. My first was also 5 years ago and it feels like a long time ago in remembering whether things are different this time or not!X

That's strange!

I am in India and have monthly appointments with my doctor. I go for check up every 4 weeks. However, I think no matter which country, the 28th week check up is important. My doctor said the baby starts getting affected by gestational diabetes or any other disorder in the mother's body from 28th week onwards, so I will have a test for those again at 27th week before my 28th week visit.

I have a check up scheduled tomorrow, hope everything is fine! My baby has been kicking away but very often on the upper side of the stomach, when I'm at work, almost kicking my breasts! Not sure if that means it's not comfortable when I sit for a long time.

16 week check yesterday now nothibg but scan till December x

With me being high risk I get checked every 2-3 weeks , but starting 32 weeks I'll be getting weekly ultrasounds

This is my third baby and I saw my midwife at 16 weeks and now I don't see that midwife again until 31weeks!!!! Apparently this is because I see someone after my 20 week scan and then I've got a growth scan at 28weeks.. But I feel a little neglected to be honest. They are supposed to check my blood pressure and urine for any problems but if I'm not bloody seeing them how are they supposed to do that?! X

I'm under consultant and it's the same for me.
16 week appoint with consultant.
20 week scan next week (just scan, no appoint).
28 week midwife.
36 week consultant to book section.
That's it. No other appoints.

I'm under consultant and it's the same for me.
16 week appoint with consultant.
20 week scan next week (just scan, no appoint).
28 week midwife.
36 week consultant to book section.
That's it. No other appoints.

This is most probably what I will get. And it seems the norm in the UK. Except I didn't get a consult appt until my 20 week scan, so iv only seen someone once so far.

I did ask my mw to book another appt tho in between, because my BP sky rocketed last time and wasn't picked up until very late, if you feel concerned book another, but generally if your healthy and don't feel unwell then there isn't any need to be seen, I'm greatful tbh, with my first I was part of a group study into pregnancy and all the monitoring and prodding and poking was horrible :haha:

I'm in Canada and it's every 4 weeks, it changes to every 2 weeks at 28 weeks, and then weekly after 36 weeks until delivery.

In NZ we see the midwife every 4 weeks, then towards the end every 2 weeks then once a week in the last month, same as the above poster. I also saw a consultant every month as I had previous c-sections.

Uk midwife led care...number 4

EPU scan 6+1
EPu scan 7+3
Private scan 9+5
Nhs scan 13weeks
Private scan 13+2
Booking in app 14 weeks (late as was nervous!)
Midwife app 19weeks
Nhs scan 21 weeks
Midwife app tomorrow at 24 weeks x

I'm in my second pregnancy and am consultant led. I saw the community midwife at 8 weeks for booking in, then at 16 weeks and I've got another appointment next week when I'll be 25 weeks. I can go to the midwife drop in whenever I need anything and have used that once (it runs every week day morning).
I also had a consultant appointment at 13 weeks, 20 weeks and the next is at 28 weeks.

The UK is
Booking vist
12 week scan
16 mw app
20 scan
25 mw app ( if 1st baby)
28 mw app
Then every 3 weeks till birth usually!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics