Looking for advice for flat nipples

besty

Mummy to 2 girls & preg
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a terrible time trying to breast feed my DD. My nipples are flat. I got very sore. I saw so many different midwives and lactation consultons to help with feeding. I got mastitis then when my dd was 4 weeks old I found out she had tongue tie. we had the procedure to clip her tongue. I then got thrush I'm my nipples so while they were being treated I was advised to express and feed from a bottle. When they were healed my dd wouldn't feed from me and just screamed so I carried on expressing till she was 3 months old.

Just looking for some advice on how I can get off to a better start when this baby is born (currently 28 weeks pregnant) any advice would be really appreciated

Thanks

:hugs: It sounds like you were up against a lot of obstacles. I don't actually think flat nipples were likely a significant part of your trouble. There is no reason flat nipples should be associated with soreness -- just with trouble latching. So that was probably the tongue tie. Mastitis and thrush are awful things to go through but again, nothing to do with flat nipples.

TT does seem to run in families so I think the best thing you can do this time is to look for one and get it cut early if your new baby does have one.

Also, follow preventive measures for thrush and mastitis. Take probiotics if you or LO need antibiotics (or maybe take them in any case -- can't hurt). And feed on demand and avoid pumping.

I bet things will go much better this time :hugs:

Try using a nipple shield for the flat nipples. It definitely helps with the latch.

:hugs: It sounds like you were up against a lot of obstacles. I don't actually think flat nipples were likely a significant part of your trouble. There is no reason flat nipples should be associated with soreness -- just with trouble latching. So that was probably the tongue tie. Mastitis and thrush are awful things to go through but again, nothing to do with flat nipples.

TT does seem to run in families so I think the best thing you can do this time is to look for one and get it cut early if your new baby does have one.

Also, follow preventive measures for thrush and mastitis. Take probiotics if you or LO need antibiotics (or maybe take them in any case -- can't hurt). And feed on demand and avoid pumping.

Thank you for your reply. You have given me some good advice. I will definitely be having the baby checked for TT. Although it took 5 people to find my daughter had it. So a bit weary to believe the first few people to check. I still have the number of the lady who found my daughters so debating to call her and get her to check baby once it's arrived.

Just feeling nervous about feeding this time as I don't want to feel how I did last time. I cried all the time for2 weeks as I didn't want to formula feed but was in so much pain breastfeedingi just kept going round in circles.

Really hoping this time it's completely different

100% agree with this. I have flat nipples that have only just started to protrude sometimes after 5 kids. I had two with moderate to severe tongue tie which was never treated (policy has changed now, but too late) and that did cause problems but with my LOs with no tongue tie we've had no problems at all really. My youngest has lip tie with no obvious tongue tie but until he had teeth the lip tie didn't cause any issues, as it's a really thick, wide tie, his teeth are kind of pulling it down which makes it harder to flange his lip properly now. Nipple shields can cause supply problems so I would only use them as a last resort xx

Thanks ladies. I had a midwife appointment this morning and I told her about my feeding concerns and she's made a note in my green notes to have a breast feeding advisor come and see me as soon as baby is born to check for TT and also to observe a few feeds. Feeling quite happy that they are taking it seriously this time

Hi all, just thought I would update you all. I had my second beautiful baby girl on 27th May. She's taken to breastfeeding like a dream and I'm really enjoying it this time round. I'm so pleased I haven't had any trouble this time x

Hi all, just thought I would update you all. I had my second beautiful baby girl on 27th May. She's taken to breastfeeding like a dream and I'm really enjoying it this time round. I'm so pleased I haven't had any trouble this time x

Brilliant to hear! :hugs:

You probably were already told this, but try a nipple shield. I have flat nipples and it is the only way that my son could nurse since he was born. Since it's now been a few months, the nipples have been pulled out enough that occasionally I can get him to latch on and feed without the shield, but we definitely needed the shield when he was little, and yes, he had a minor posterior tongue tie (it was so minor they didn't do the procedure to clip it off) so we had similar barriers. I love the shield - it has allowed us to actually make it through with him feeding from the breast.

I had this problem. It was *awful*. I dreaded feeding times and would cry with the pain. A nipple shield saved my life! I didn't use it every time because I was terrified little guy would get used to it and refuse to nurse when I didn't use it. No tongue tie and he had a great latch. All the lactation people I saw in the hospital and a couple afterwards said it was my problem. :p

I had no clue that I had flat nipples before this. They looked normal to me and DH! :p

I'm so glad, that's so encouraging THANK YOU :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->