Looking for advice please

jessop27

Mum to 4
Reaction score
im nearly 33 weeks now and ive been booked for hb since my booking in appointment, i next see my mw on the 10th March when i will be 35+1
my mw said she would then arrange my hb visit

so ive been really hoping to have a waterbirth with no pain relief, i managed this on my ds but in a hospital,
thing is birthing pools are seriously expensive and was wondering if i could use a normal pool for it instead?
If i choose to birth in water are all mws that attend hbs trained to do this?
I feel really unorganised at the minute as i dont have a clue what i need to have at home for the birth and i hate not being prepared, is there anything that i/mw will definately need to get so i can be somewhat prepared?

i keeping finding myself thinking oh sod it go to hospital but i know this is so what i want to do and as its my last baby to wouldnt want to regret not trying it

thanks in advance

becky 32+5

I'm no expert, but I'm sure all midwives are trained in waterbirths (please someone correct me if I'm wrong). There is a really great thread here posted recently on waterbirths which lists things you might need. I think really you would be best to actually hire or buy a pool specially for labour, because not only the walls are sturdy but the level of the water needs to be a certain height for it to have effect.

I'm planning a home water birth, and am buying a pool hopefully off someone local on ebay (keeping my eye out!) so hoping to get a bargain, but if it gets to late I will buy brand new. You could always sell it afterwards to make some of the money back too :)

The Royal College of MWs guidelines say that it's the responsibility of all MWs to ensure they are trained in water birth and with water being so popular I think you'd be hard pressed to find a MW that hadnt seen or attended a water birth.

Used pools come up on ebay and freecycle even for £50 and even though a new one will set you back about £100 you can then sell it on for £50 yourself.

if you go to the hospital are you guaranteed a pool? If they only have one or two then you may be out of luck. The pool is often what swings a home birth for women who really want that water birth.

All you need is you. All the other stuff is nice to haves but you have all the essential equipment to give birth right there in your body :winkwink:

x

thanks for the advice :)
i definately want a waterbirth and on my last baby was unable to have a waterbirth as there is only 1 pool so first come first basis
i think i will keep an eye out on ebay and see what happens, if i cant get one i can still birth at home :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->