Looking for some input...

jlw617

Mom to 2 girls
Reaction score
So I have been unofficially diagnosed with GD with this pregnancy, it's a longs story but basically I have it but thankfully to my knowledge my midwife hasn't labeled me yet and won't until I take the glucose test which I've already explained to her I wouldn't, I've been monitoring my blood sugars by poking myself 4 times a day...in the beginning I had some pretty high spikes, nothing crazy just not great but after a few days of trial and error my numbers have been under control since then, I haven't gained any weight in fact I've lost a total of around 11 lbs during this pregnancy which she said was all really good however since I had 1 fasting number that was 100 instead of 99 or less (your numbers can actually go up if you wait too long to eat which I told her is probably what happened that day) she wants me to start getting scans every 4 weeks, and told me I'd have a scan every week towards the end...I am opposed to unnecessary scans for the most part and want no more scans at all, but I'm especially upset because I'm controlling it so well that I don't see the need for any of it...like I could see if I had gained a bunch of weight or my numbers were crazy but they're not, she asked me again if I had GD with any of of my other children which I told her no, she asked me the birth weights which were 6lbs12ozand 6lbs5oz...basically in my case I think it comes down to age, I'm the same weight I was with my other 2 but I'm over 30 (I'll be 33 in August) and my last pregnancy I was 27, and they say your risk gos up after 30. Any how, I think I might stay in the practice because there are other midwives and I don't think I'll even be seeing that particular one anymore because she doesn't deliver at the hospital I'm delivering at so nows the time where all my appointment are scheduled in a different office and hopefully one of them will be more understanding...the other option would be to go to a practice that is all midwives but they're quite a bit further and I'd have to deliver at a different hospital...I just don't know what to do and I'm tempted to go to the other group before I'm labeled and they won't take me...

Have you tried just explaining how you feel? Some times MWs feel obliged to follow certain precautions but are fine do do it a different way if that's what the parents want, they just dont want to be responsible for making the choice not to themselves. Of course there are those who only have one way of doing things and get upset if you have other ideas. Will she only continue with you if you have the scans? It sounds like she might be a bit flexible if she is fine with you not doing the gtt etc.

I couldn't take a gtt for allergy reasons and chose to monitor my blood sugar at home like you just incase.

First pregnancy my readings were fine, no sign of GD. I measured large, she measured large on scans and she was 9lbs 5oz when born.

Second pregnancy my morning readings were always a bit high but always fine after eating. Even if I pigged out on sugar which I rarely do, my readings were okay but those morning readings were always borderline so it was a bit of a mystery. My widwife thought it could be gd but without the gtt there wasnt really any way of knowing. I measured huge from early on and was ginormous by the end, she said I measured right for twins :). I did ask my MW if we should get extra scans and she said maybe it was better not to because we knew the baby was big and knowing how big might only panic everyone and make us see complications where there weren't any.The last scan I had at 27 weeks he was average weight acording to the scan but he must have piled it on after that because he was just under 11lbs at birth!! Even theMW was shocked! I had an uncomplicated HB, without even a stitch
though so now that it is all over fine I'm glad I didnt know before :). I'm not sure if I'd decide to go for extra scans next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->