Losing hope - advice please

Hi, happy for you to pm me if you want more info but basically with both pregnancies I was scanned and a reason for the bleeding was looked for and nothing found. My rather charming Irish midwife cheerfully explained that brown blood is like losing a scab....which reforms and can be lost again...and it's your body's way of cleaning itself. Pretty disgusting but it makes sense to me and having bled with my last pregnancy too, I am trying not to worry about it.

I have twinges in my side, and had them with my last pregnancy but none of the others. I have no fallopian tube on that side and my ovary is tied shut, although I have a cyst on that ovary. The ultrasound tech says it's a healthy cyst that provides nourishment to the ovaries but that it can twinge a bit with my expanding uterus.

When I had my ectopic pregnancy it was completely different. The bleeding was like actual bleeding but just a strange colour and very watery. Prune juice is a widely used description and one that definitely fitted. The bleeding didn't stop at any point and was consistent in flow throughout. I didn't get a positive hpt so I had no idea I was pregnant and had assumed I was having a very long and strange period. I was taking the mini pill at the time so had no reason to expect pregnancy (although a strange feeling had made me test). Ultimately I eventually got a BFP and promptly collapsed that very same day and was blue lighted to hospital and straight to surgery. I'd had right-sided pain previous to that but being busy I'd ignored it until the day of my collapse, when it became much worse and I also developed rib and shoulder tip pain due to the massive internal bleeding into my abdomen. The surgeon discovered the fetus was approx 8 weeks gestation. I always urge anyone with suspicions of an ectopic pregnancy to be seen. Much better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you so much! That really helps too, I've heard so many differences with ectopic, some bleed, some don't etc This morning I had distinct ~right~ ovary pain instead of left like I've been having and I instantly relaxed haha so the twinges I'm feeling are more than likely just growing pains. As for the spotting, it continues, usually just first thing in the morning when I wipe, and then tiny spot or two later in the day. Whenever I have a solid bowel movement I'll get a more noticeable amount when I wipe. Heading to the doctor's in a bit so I'm glad I'll have answers soon! Thanks again!

4 weeks is far too early. Was your ultrasound abdominal or transvaginal?

I went for my first ultrasound yesterday @ 6 weeks. On the abdominal view, we could barely make anything out. Transvaginal was a completely different story. Much better view - able to do proper measurements and saw the heartbeat.

Do you have another ultrasound booked? I know the waiting will suck, but I'm sure it will be well worth it in the end!! :flower:

I wanted to pop in and say your story sounds pretty much like the start of my current pregnancy. I went in at 13 dpo to confirm my pregnancy (lmp was actually a miscarriage so needed to make sure it wasn't residual hCG) and my hCG was only 38. Dr immediately said leftover hCG and ordered a repeat lab to track the levels down. At 17dpo (or 4+3) my hCG had jumped to 236 and was obviously doubling, not dropping, so dr said new pregnancy but numbers too low and miscarriage was imminent. 5+2 I started spotting and had another lab done. hCG was up to 1872 so not doubling anymore and dr was even more certain of miscarriage. Yet, an ultrasound at 6+1 showed baby was there and had a strong hb. I'm now 35 weeks and counting down the days until I am 'term'. I love that I'm proving my now former doctor wrong. Hang in there and leave the negativity to the doctors. I ultimately switched to an OB that I trust and am so happy I did because he's been nothing but supportive and encouraging to me this whole time. Even after 5 weeks of spotting/bleeding, a few semi-hysterical phone calls from me, and a near-panic attack in his office at 14 weeks (I've had a miscarriage that late and was terrified of not seeing a hb at that point), he's never said one negative thing about my pg. I'm sticking with him from now on. Having a supportive dr makes a world of difference and I encourage you to 'shop around' a little if you can to find a dr who does the same for you.

Hello lovely ladies!

Thanks again - I have read all of your replies and I think they really helped me through my first week. I've got to say that this is hands down the most wild and emotionally draining thing I've ever been through. Best get ready for a lifetime of that emotion, right!?

Anyways, my levels were retested today at approx 5 weeks (25 DPO) and they blossomed up to a beautiful 8,000! I'm feeling a lot better, but reserving the best of feelings until after my ultrasound next Thursday.

Here's to hoping the little bean is where it is supposed to be and I hope I hope I get to see it!! :)

Might have the best night sleep I've had since this ride started!

:sleep:

xo!

Hello lovely ladies!

Thanks again - I have read all of your replies and I think they really helped me through my first week. I've got to say that this is hands down the most wild and emotionally draining thing I've ever been through. Best get ready for a lifetime of that emotion, right!?

Anyways, my levels were retested today at approx 5 weeks (25 DPO) and they blossomed up to a beautiful 8,000! I'm feeling a lot better, but reserving the best of feelings until after my ultrasound next Thursday.

Here's to hoping the little bean is where it is supposed to be and I hope I hope I get to see it!! :)

xo!

Oh wow that is amazing news!!! Take that, doc!! :haha: Can't wait to hear the good news on your ultrasound Thursday!! :flower:

Hello lovely ladies!

xo!

Yay!! Numbers look great! Good luck for your scan! We seem to around the same stage, I'm having my scan on Thursday as well.

My hcg at 21dpo was 1904. Your numbers sound fine to me. Good luck

Your doc sounds like an idiot, no offense. My hcg level at 4 weeks was 36. I am now 7 weeks 6 days, and saw his/her little heartbeat last Tuesday. Congratulations, hope you get to see your bub at your ultrasound :)

You are FAR too early, that ultrasound tech was right. We didn't see a sac until 6 weeks and I have a tipped uterus so even then it was hard to find. And whatever you do, do not believe everything you hear, there are misdiagnosed miscarriages all the time. Many women even discover they are having twins far later in their pregnancy because somehow another sac was missed! I know it's hard to wait, but you are most definitely pregnant so I would just take a deep breath and enjoy it. No stress!

Hello lovely ladies!

xo!
Your numbers look great! Yes...it really is a lifetime of emotion. I had a very tough pregnancy with my son. They were worried about my hcg levels, and I had two BAD bleeds with cramps that had me doubled over and screaming. Then I was on bedrest from 30 weeks until my c-section! But after all of that, my little man is wonderful, and it's worth all the stress. Congrats hon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->