Losing weight whilst bf

Savannah11

Love my boys xxx
Reaction score
So I'm almost back to my pre preg size but obviously my belly is still very flabby and we are going to America in the summer holidays so I'd love to be in great shape without risking affecting my supply or ability to breastfeed. Every school morning I walk to my sons school which is 2 miles away so I'm sure that will be helpful but what can I do diet wise? Would love any tips xx

I don't think flabby bellies are really weight related. I think exercises that specifically strengthen core and abdo muscles could help but I've never managed to keep at them long enough to see results!

After breastfeeding for 10 months I'm about 5kg below my pre-preg weight and pretty thin, but I still have quite a loose belly. It's not flab, I have a bit of a stomach muscle separation that is gradually resolving, but no amount of weight loss is going to fix it. As others have suggested, exercise is probably the better solution rather than diet, but even then it might be slow.

Hey at least you are back to your pre-preg size! I am exclusively breastfeeding, I eat healthy, and I exercise pretty rigorously 1-3 hrs a day (training for a triathlon and ultra marathon) and I have barely lost any weight and my baby is 6 months old! I finally broke down and bought some fat jeans because my pre-preg jeans are just not comfortable. I would love to be back at pre-preg size even if it meant a bit of jelly belly! My sisters also didn't lose any weight while breastfeeding so I will probably be this size until baby weans, sigh.

Excercise is the best way, particularly core work. And drink plenty of water although I'm sure you do anyway if you're bf x

Eat fruits and veggies, drink only water, jazz up your cardio with different exercises and try some strength training routines for your core and back

There's a really good exercise to help with closing any muscle seperation, I think its called pelvic bridges? Our pt calls it air humping lol... you lay on your back and bring your feet up beind your bum, then engage your core muscles and slowing lift your hips and squeeze your butt cheeks at the same time. Do 10 of these, rest a minute, and repeat 3 times through. This is also great if you have any lower back pain. My pain has eased considerably after doing this a few weeks, I also have no muscle seperation as well. I do have a bit of excess fat from pre-pregnancy and loose skin too, but I'm hoping as i keep slowly losing weight that my skin will slowly firm up. Slower weight loss allows your skin to shrink back down, rather than sudden loss which leaves the skin with that sagginess.
Also, a lot of core work will help in tightening up your tummy, focus on building up your muscles rather than worrying about diet. The more you strenghten and build muscle, the more fat will be burned just to sustain the muscle. Not saying you'll have to look like Arnie either, but having muscle will burn more fat for you, and you'll be all nice and toned :) good luck and enjoy your holiday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->