Lost 8 pounds...can't eat without throwing up :(

Unexpected212

Reaction score
Hello ladies

Just looking for some advice or reassurance I'm not alone

With my first I had bad nausea and occasionally sick. With my second all day nausea and sick a bit more.

This one it started at 6 weeks with nausea but the last 2/3 weeks have been AWFUL. I've hardly been hungry as I feel sick all the time and nearly EVERY TIME I eat it comes straight back up.

With the other two my sickness started around 6 weeks and eased off LOADS by about 9/10 weeks but this seems to be getting worse.

I'm in the UK...do I need to speak to a midwife? Is this normal? I can keep liquids down fine so I'm not TOO worried but I weighed myself today and I've lost eight pounds in like 2/3 weeks. I'm actually lighter now than before I had my first child.

It's so hard being at work too when I feel so weak and tired from lack of food and have to run off to be sick if I do eat.

I don't REALLY want to go on any medication though :(

Why don't you want to take medications? It sounds to me like you need it. I keep some food down but am sick up to 20-25 times a day most days so my GP has me on a combination of anti emetics. The midwife can't prescribe but GPs are following new guidelines to prescribe when it's affecting a mum's quality of life or health.

I don't know I'm probably being silly. I just worry about the effects on the baby. Although I'm sure not being able to eat isn't doing baby much good either...I'm so surprised that my third pregnancy is so bad compared to the last two.

They are considered very safe, thousands of women take them. Have a look at Pregnancy Sickness Support's website. They're a charity with lots of info and support.

I had no idea that existed I will have a look now. Thank you. I guess I've been trying to just deal with on my own and not bother anyone but when I weighed myself and realised how much weight I've lost I started to panic a bit.

I don't know I'm probably being silly. I just worry about the effects on the baby. Although I'm sure not being able to eat isn't doing baby much good either...I'm so surprised that my third pregnancy is so bad compared to the last two.

Oh Hun I gave up on the no meds longggg ago. I can't function from my nausea. I haven't enjoyed a meal in 6 weeks. The meds help but I still feel shitty most of the day. I recommend u get on meds to help u cope! There's really no other way...

Rang my midwife and she said it's not a concern at all cos In their opinion I've only lost less than a pound a week and that not being able to eat isn't a problem or being sick multiple times a day...it's just normal. She said my doctor won't prescribe anything unless I can't keep fluid down :/

Frankly, that's bull****! I would ring and speak to your GP directly. Maybe your midwife is out of the loop but currently guidelines are a lot more pro meds and pro mum.

I lost 11 pounds in 2-3 weeks but as long as I was keeping liquids down, they weren't too concerned. It sucked, but it has pretty much stopped now at 11+6. I am still losing a tiny bit of weight, half a pound a week or so, but I have plenty of extra pounds to lose! If you are already on the small side, I would push for some help.

I totally understand your want, to avoid medication. There are risks, and the doctor or midwives will always indicate what those risks are. However many women do go on to have healthy babies with no issues.
It's best to speak to your midwife and go from there. If you can keep water down than that's the important thing. You don't want to get dehydrated. If you can eat very small amounts of food. Even a bite or two of saltine crackers.
Hang in there...it's not easy at all. And truthfully I think m/s gets harder with the more kids you have. Not much time to lay on the couch and sleep:(

That's rubbish! Your midwife is wrong. I've only been sick 2 or 3 times during this pregnancy but I've been suffering with nausea all day long, the doc signed me off work for a couple of weeks to rest and he prescribed anti sickness meds - I didn't even ask for them. Go to your GP hun. Xx

Totally feeling your pain. I've been on a mixture of anti-sickness mess for the last 4 weeks. Like you, I was very reluctant, but just couldn't cope. This pregnancy has knocked me for six & I swear this is what has got me through. I'm 7 weeks in with sickness & hoping as I reach 12 weeks next week, it buggars off!!
I would def say visit your GP, mine was so helpful & didn't make me feel bad. Only you know how you feel and how much you can actually take.

Good luck!

I'm 8 weeks preg and I've been the same for last 2 weeks X I called my doc who advised anti sickness tablets which are not working X they don't seem too bothered in early pregnancy as baby doesn't need much from mum . I think 12+ weeks it will become a worry X hope you're better soon I totally feel ur pain X

Thank you ladies. I feel a lot better knowing I'm not alone. I hope you all start to feel better soon and thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->