Lost in a world of cloth nappies :(

J22

Reaction score
Hi girls!

I really do want to use cloth nappies but I've read so many threads about them that my head's now in a bloody spin about them! I'm in Spain so probably don't have the choice and deals as maybe you do in the UK and US.

My idea was:
* to buy one size (start off with normal disposables until bubs is big enough)
* popper system if possible (do they last longer than velcro fasteners?)
* flushable liners

I thought I knew what I was doing then came across 2-in-1, 3-in-1, flats, folds, bamboo inserts........:wacko:
Can anyone give me some straightforward advise on what I'm best to get for the easiest option? Any recommended brands too??

I don't want to spend a lot of money then find the ones I've bought are crap!

Thank You xxxx :flower:

Hi girls!

I really do want to use cloth nappies but I've read so many threads about them that my head's now in a bloody spin about them! I'm in Spain so probably don't have the choice and deals as maybe you do in the UK and US.

My idea was:
* to buy one size (start off with normal disposables until bubs is big enough)
* popper system if possible (do they last longer than velcro fasteners?)
* flushable liners

I thought I knew what I was doing then came across 2-in-1, 3-in-1, flats, folds, bamboo inserts........:wacko:
Can anyone give me some straightforward advise on what I'm best to get for the easiest option? Any recommended brands too??

I don't want to spend a lot of money then find the ones I've bought are crap!

Thank You xxxx :flower:

We met a lovely local lady who sells cloths nappies who went through everything with us - is there anyone local to you who might give you a demo? It really helped us to see them and ask all our million questions.

This is the way I see it:

1. You can either buy sized cloth nappies or birth-to-potty. Birth to potty ones will be cheaper overall as you don't need to buy all the different sizes but if you have a small baby to start with they might be a bit bulky and not fit quite so well for the first 6 weeks or so.

2. On top of that, you then need to choose between nappies which all come in one piece (all in one or AIO) or ones that come in 2 pieces.
AIO basically means that the waterproof, outer layer is part of the nappy. So you change baby just like you would a disposable nappy, only rather than binning the nappy you chuck the dirty one in the wash bim.
Two-piece systems mean that you have a soft fabric inner part and then a separate waterproof outer part. You just put them on one on top of the other. When you change baby, you only chuck the inner fabric part into the wash and re-use the outer part, giving it a quick wipe if it's messy.

Both of the above can also be used with booster pads to make them more absorbent (at night or on a long journey) or flushable liners.

3. Flushable liners are not needed if you breastfeed as breast fed baby poo is totally water soluble. You just chuck the whole nappy in the wash. When you introduce solids or formula then the liners are needed to drop the solids poo into the toilet when you change baby.

We are going with TotsBots EasyFit nappies as we loved the feel of them and the colours https://www.totsbots.com/product/easyfit/easyfit-jack-the-beanstalk/ but there are so many brands out there and I've heard people recommend that you pick a few different brands so you're not stuck if one brand doesn't fit baby. These ones use poppers to change the size of the size of the nappy as baby grows, but are fastened with velcro so it'll be easy to change baby.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for that Mum2BKW, it helps me a lot! I've just watched their videos online from the link you've sent so that makes it clearer too. I've had a quick google for these over here and it looks like I can get them for around 21-24 euros, and they have packs of 3 bamboo inserts for 11€.....would you add an insert at bedtime?

Do you know if any disposable inserts are suitable or do each brand have their own?

I see these are velcro....have you had any comments about the velcro losing its stick over time??

Thanks again, much appreciated! x

Thanks for that Mum2BKW, it helps me a lot! I've just watched their videos online from the link you've sent so that makes it clearer too. I've had a quick google for these over here and it looks like I can get them for around 21-24 euros, and they have packs of 3 bamboo inserts for 11€.....would you add an insert at bedtime?

Do you know if any disposable inserts are suitable or do each brand have their own?

I see these are velcro....have you had any comments about the velcro losing its stick over time??

Thanks again, much appreciated! x

You're welcome, glad it helped! I was equally baffled by all the different types and brands out there initially so I know how daunting it feels.

Any disposable inserts will probably fit - they look a bit like a wet wipe (flimsy and slightly see through) so I doubt there is much size variation. Tots Bots do have their own liners but I'm sure any brand would be fine: https://www.totsbots.com/product/nappy-liners/spunlace-liners/

We'll add a bamboo insert at bedtime when baby starts weeing greater volumes! If you buy the nappies in a 5-pack you get 1 bamboo insert included so bear that in mind. We were advised that 20 (4 packs of 5) would be all we needed from birth to potty :)

When baby is very small we'll be washing every other day, and as baby gets bigger and the nappy is changed less frequently it'll be every 3 days. If you want to wash less frequently you could buy more.

For the velcro, I imagine over time it would wear a bit but the TotsBots ones (and probably other brands too) have a foldover system - so you can stick the velcro back on itself when the nappy is washed. That way it's not being whipped about in the washing machine. We were shown some nappies that had been used for a few years and you could hardly tell. You can get the nappies with poppers instead of velcro if you prefer - but we went for velcro for the extra adjustability and speed of nappy changing!

Also something else to mention is that you can also get washable wipes - they look like tiny flannels. So you just dip them in water, clean babies bum and then chuck the wipe into the wash bin along with the nappy. It makes sense to us that if we're looking to save money/the environment using washable nappies that we don't then spend a fortune on wipes that end up in landfill!

The one thing I am learning about cloth diapers/nappies is that there is no wrong answer-and you can mix and match! It's just a matter of finding what works for you.

Mum2BKW provided you with a lot of good info. After doing my research, taking a class on them, and talking to a ton of people who used cloth, I found that our best bet is the prefolds with a cover. Prefolds tend to be the cheapest. They come in newborn sizes, all the way up. You fold them around baby, put a fastener on them (snappy) and then just a waterproof cover over top-I like Thirsties brand.

The good thing about this is that the cover doesn't get soiled with every change, so you go through less laundry that way.

I didn't know how to put a prefold on, but there are several youtube's on it, and they are really easy.

Good luck!

The one thing I am learning about cloth diapers/nappies is that there is no wrong answer-and you can mix and match! It's just a matter of finding what works for you.

Mum2BKW provided you with a lot of good info. After doing my research, taking a class on them, and talking to a ton of people who used cloth, I found that our best bet is the prefolds with a cover. Prefolds tend to be the cheapest. They come in newborn sizes, all the way up. You fold them around baby, put a fastener on them (snappy) and then just a waterproof cover over top-I like Thirsties brand.

The good thing about this is that the cover doesn't get soiled with every change, so you go through less laundry that way.

I didn't know how to put a prefold on, but there are several youtube's on it, and they are really easy.

Good luck!

It really is personal preference isn't it - though it's so hard to know what your personal preference will be (having not used them before) and no-one wants to buy a stash of nappies that end up not working for them :s We need a crystal ball!

One thing I'd say about the two part systems is that I initially assumed that they would be significantly cheaper but actually you need to buy just as many of the inner, absorbent part as you would the AIO's (as you need to wash the inner part with every change) plus you are buying the outer parts and the fasteners. Also if you get them in different sizes you end up buying more in total. When we added it up it actually worked out more expensive from birth to potty (though I'm sure this isn't always the case). As the OP is in Spain I have no idea what the pricing is like over there so best to check it out locally and see what's best.

Thanks again ladies, you've helped clear my head today!! What would I do without this forum!
I'll have a look at pricing - it just seems that the all in ones are easier in general, but I'll have a look at both options. I'm in rural Spain so as you can imagine there's nowhere I can go for advise or demos unfortunately!
I will get on a mission searching. OH is concerned about the overall cost (I think it's because it seems a lot to spend at the beginning), but from what I've read there's no doubt in the saving aspect (and one of my biggest issues is also not wanting to contribute to the waste landfills). xx

Hey,

I already use cloth nappies on my 20 month old and I'm planning to use them again with baby when she arrives.

My personal pointers would be;
- good idea to start off with disposables for a few weeks till you get into the swing of things

- don't buy too many of one sort - because the way you use the nappies changes as they get older. For instance I have a full set of birth to potty nappies from tots bots (all in one easyfit) and they were great when my daughter was little but when we got to about 12 months - she started holding her wee for longer they all started to leak every hour or so. We then had to switch to a two parter (shaped cloth nappy underneath and a wrap on top) which was more leak proof.

- Also although they are suppose to be birth to potty she actually outgrew them by about 15 months so we had to buy new ones.

- See if you can try out some second hand ones before you purchase a load to make sure they fit and you find them easy to use.

- I would always use a disposable liner even on breastfed baby - it is much nicer than chucking a load of poo in your washing machine (which can get a bit bunged up). Even using liners I occasionally have to run my machine at 90 degrees with some bleach to clear it out.

- Re - all in one / two in one etc. I don't find there is much difference between any of the integrated ones (the ones where waterproof liner is included) - in terms of use. The totally all in ones take slightly longer to dry, the 'pocket' ones take slightly longer to sort out - but in terms of use they are much of a muchness. You will, however, need a 2 part nappy for night time use as all in ones simply not absorbent enough.

Brand wise;

-We use Totsbots easyfits (birth to potty all in one) - until she was 12 months ish during the day. These were fantastic, easy to use, great prints. But she outgrew them really quickly and they 'wick' quite easily. So because the waterproof liner is attached to the cloth interior right up to the egde, the wee gets sucked out by whatever clothes she is wearing on top.

- Overnight we've used a variety of 2 parts - little lamb - really cute and fluffy but really bulky, lollipop - really cheap for overnight, totsbots bamboozle. The last ones are great because they are actually slim enough to also use during the day when you go somewhere that you don't think you will easily be able to change easily

- I find for my taller toddler - the bumgenius elemental (which is brand new out) is fantastic - good fit and really absorbent but they are very long in the rise so they might not fit a smaller baby as well.

- Charlie Banana - these are like a midway between totsbots and bumgenius elemental for use. They fit better on my tall skinny little girl than the easyfits but they still wick after a little while.

Hope this helps - but really my key advice would be don't do what I did and buy a load in advance. Just try a few out before investing!

wow, thanks all....lots of useful information! x

OH is concerned about the overall cost (I think it's because it seems a lot to spend at the beginning), but from what I've read there's no doubt in the saving aspect (and one of my biggest issues is also not wanting to contribute to the waste landfills). xx

On this note, my MIL was initially taken aback that we were spending £300 on cloth nappies. She thought it seemed really expensive. That was until we told her that you're looking at spending upwards of £1200 (birth to potty) if you use disposables - it's actually a massive saving. We figure that if we only used the cloth nappies for 6 months it will have saved us money. It's just more of an outlay initially. If we go on to have a second baby we'll re-use the cloth nappies and save even more!

We'll probably use disposables from time to time too - like if we go away somewhere that won't have a washing machine, so I'm expecting to spend a small amount on disposables. But I like to TotsBots ones so much better, they're just so cute!

Great Info ladies, I am planning on using cloth as well and have inherited some from my sister and have bought some all in ones as well.

Are totsbots in UK only? I haven't heard of them. I have some thirsties, some bummies and some alvas - we shall see what works the best!

Think Totsbots are uk mainly - they are made in Scotland.
Forgot to say on original post - poppers are better than velcro.

We bought loads of velcro inititally but they do wear out quicker and also they stick all your nappies together in the wash (even with the laundry tabs).
Also - once baby gets old enough they figure out how to undo them.

My daughter keeps taking her velcro nappies off and bringing them to me saying 'oh oh!'

Think Totsbots are uk mainly - they are made in Scotland.
Forgot to say on original post - poppers are better than velcro.

We bought loads of velcro inititally but they do wear out quicker and also they stick all your nappies together in the wash (even with the laundry tabs).
Also - once baby gets old enough they figure out how to undo them.

My daughter keeps taking her velcro nappies off and bringing them to me saying 'oh oh!'

aww, your daughter bless her...that really made me chuckle!! x

I'd love to do cloth diapers as they seem to save money in the long run, but I just can't justify the upfront expense especially if what I get end up not fitting him properly.

And there's so many different types. It's mind boggling.

I'd love to do cloth diapers as they seem to save money in the long run, but I just can't justify the upfront expense especially if what I get end up not fitting him properly.

Try a couple? See how you get on with them? You don't need to start with a full set, you can use disposables and pop on a cloth nappy every so often and see how you find it. Some councils do free nappy trials too, might be worth a look - they supply you with a bucket of different brands of cloth nappy for you to try out and you return them a month later. Councils love cloth nappies cos of the amount of space it saves them in landfill!

Sorry - just realised you're in California so the council suggestion isn't so helpful! Not sure if there are any company or government trials out there instead?

Try a couple? See how you get on with them? You don't need to start with a full set, you can use disposables and pop on a cloth nappy every so often and see how you find it. Some councils do free nappy trials too, might be worth a look - they supply you with a bucket of different brands of cloth nappy for you to try out and you return them a month later. Councils love cloth nappies cos of the amount of space it saves them in landfill!

Sorry - just realised you're in California so the council suggestion isn't so helpful! Not sure if there are any company or government trials out there instead?

Not that I know of.

A friend of mine said she might hand me down some that her baby's outgrown, but she was going to try and resell them first. So we'll see.

I'm going to order a 5-pack of Totsbots Easyfit this weekend and start by trying those out (I can get them online here in Spain)....I'm soooo pleased because I was getting confused to the point of thinking I was going to have to revert to disposables........so thank you ladies for putting me back on the right track towards cloth nappies!!!! :flower:
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->