Loves Baby Rice

BeckaJayne

Reaction score
I was determend not to wean Chloe early but she's been showing even more signs over the last weeks so i tried her on baby rice last week and the first day she had it, second day we were late with the feed so she wouldn't have it (plus we fed her in her bumbo which i don't think she liked as she prefers her bouncer) but the last couple of days i've made it slightly thicker and she's had it all and even winged for more and eaten that. I have been doing the rice with one feed a day and only 1teaspoon or rice. She's on 4 bottles a day but only finishes her first bottle since i started the rice (which were 7oz) and is taking 3-4oz.
Im gunna speak to the HV 2moro, just abit stuck lol.
Don't no whether to increase the amount of rice or give it with more feeds or what :shrug:

I would probably think you should increase the amount of rice.But thats just a kind of guess based on what I would do so talk to your health visitor too :)
Hope it goes well xxx

I increased the rice today and including the milk used for the rice she took 3oz of a 7oz bottle!! Spoke to the HV today and she's coming out 2moro to do Chloe's 3 month check so she's gunna go through weaning with me anyway.

I guess I'm confused....are you trying to make her take more of less of her bottles? If she was having 4 7oz bottles before the rice I would stick with that....not offer rice. Especially if that is making her take less, solids shouldn't replace any milk for awhile still, it should be in addition to. It's usually recommended to give them rice between 2 milk feeds as to not take the place of the milk

Im still offering her all 4 7oz bottles but with the second bottle im offering her a bit of rice. She's taking all the rice but doesn't seem to want the bottles anymore. We mentioned to the HV about giving her rice then the bottle then if she left any of the bottle adding rice to that and she said try it that way?

I would def not add rice to the bottle. I think she's still pretty young for solids, even though she is liking them. If you really want to continue though I would try giving the rice about an hour after a bottle instead. Only 4 bottles a day really isn't all that much, it's fine but you def don't want her cutting one out at her age. I would try and keep her on the 4 7oz bottles a day and rice in addition to that, not replacing anything.

Im not adding rice to the bottle, just adding a little bit of that milk to the rice!! The HV asked if we'd started weaning her yet and when i said yes she said good the sooner the better?

Sorry I don't agree, the recommendation is nothing but breastmilk/formula until 6mo. If she is satisfied on those 4 bottles a day I would continue with that. She isn't drinking too much or anything like that. Here is a good article telling the reasons why you should wait

https://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

4 bottles a day is not a lot for a 4 month old.

4 x 7oz bottles is 28oz per day, that's an alright amount IMO, some babies eat less than others, and Elyse was definitely around there, even less probably, 24-28oz usually.. before I weaned her. She was eating more than 4 times per day though..

Personally I would only offer her rice after she finishes a bottle.. and again just a teaspoon, when you start out, a teaspoon or so of baby rice once daily is enough.. then gradually increase if you can without compromising her formula intake.

Also, I always mix the cereal with formula rather than water, I'm just more comfortable that way and I can sneak an extra oz of formula into her now.

I would offer rice after a bottle. milk is more important. Also at this stage I was advised to increase the number of feeds rather than the amount so one teaspoon at breakfast and one at dinner. basically just go realllllllllly slowly.

Do what you think is right for your baby. I started babyrice at 14 weeks on my HV recommendation, he still takes 35oz a day though!

Yeh, I'd definately try sticking with the milk for now. I weaned Dylan before 6 months, but he was on 5 bottles of 9oz a day and draining some of them. Milk has more calories in it, so its important to keep her milk intake up. Like the others have said, offer her the bottle first and then the rice after so that the rice isn't replacing the milk.
Dylan still has 4 bottles a day now, 8 oz but usually only takes about 7 oz and has 3 meals a day.

She's started taking all her milk again...think it must have been coz it was such a new thing to her having the rice!!
Spoke the HV aswell and she's told me that i should try her on stuff that im eating as long as there isn't salt in it like if im having a mild curry then to let her try the sauce...which i actually don't agree with and she will be having none of my food what so ever!!!!
She's started having baby porridge and im gunna try her on carrots 2nite!!

wow i have never heard a hv suggest letting a 4 month old try your food .
plain pureed carrots etc.. fine i guess, but make sure you go slow she is still really young and as said above milk is the most important thing atm :)

I won't be letting her try our food thats the one thing i didn't agree on. We've tried her on carrots and pear this week.

4 bottles a day is not a lot for a 4 month old.

Isn't it? Thats all my LO has and he is 16 weeks, 4 x 7oz in 24 hours one in the morning, one at lunch, one in the afternoon and one before bed, and then sleeps through the night. He's not ready for weaning yet as I thought you had to be draining the 8-9oz bottles. Got me a little worried now...! Will speak to hv tomorrow when I weigh him

4 bottles of 7oz is different to 4 bottles of 3-4oz though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->