low amniotic fluid at 20 week scan :(

swimmyj1

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking for some advice. Has anyone ever been told that they have low amniotic fluid during their anatomy scan? Mine was averaging around 8.5 and they want it above 12. She said anything below 8 they would be more concerned and would be taking me off work for a while. They told me to just start drinking a lot more fluid and try and take it easy. Any outcome or advice is helpful thanks :hugs:

I had this during this pregnancy. I think I was at 6.2 at my first scan. They didn't see any issues with baby though. I got IV fluids and my level went up to ten. Then a week later down to 5. They still couldn't find any causes but I got IV fluids and made sure to start eating more and drinking more water. At my MFM appointment it was at 12(around 21weeks) and then at 23 weeks it went up to 15! I have my last AFI tomorrow and if it's good we will stop seeing MFM.

They said that AFI before 22 weeks is really hit and miss, so they usually just kind of eye it to see if it's s real issue. They do check baby's bladder and kidneys but if those are fine and there is no growth restriction, they just kind of watch it.

Did they find anything else at your scan?

They didn't say anything else was wrong, she said that she was having a hard time getting some clear images of the heart but it was beating and I could see all 4 chambers. But nothing about kidneys or bladder issues. In one images I could clearly see babies bladder was full (I have training to read ultrasounds lol) so I could at least get some piece of mind from that.

The one doctor that came into talk to me (not my usual doc) was really mean about it though. Saying if I didn't drink more that my baby would compress the cord and would die, so if I didn't want a dead baby I need to drink more. Im all for being real with patients but not quite that harsh.

I brought that up to my OB because I read it on the Internet and he was like "uhh...I don't think that's a realistic thing. If the baby was compressing it's cord by laying on it, it would move."

But I think it's reassuring nothing else was seen. Most doctors have rolled their eyes when I mention maternal hydration as a factor of low fluid, but I noticed a large improvement! Really that's the only thing YOU can do. I spent a lot of time on my left side and also put myself on pelvic rest and took it as easy as possible just to make sure I wasn't aggravating anything.

Are you scheduled for a follow up scan?

yeah next friday, my regular ob called me today and was much more pleasant saying that she wasn't concerned. I had been hiking a lot and working so probably not drinking as much as I should. But wants me to drink about 2 gals of water a day and recheck. It made me feel a little better but to be honest I probably will be worried until my next scan. Stupid pregnant brain is making me dream horrible things lol

Yeah I googled horrible outcomes but I was rechecked today and fluid is still good! I found 2 gallons of water to be impossible unless I spent EVERY minute peeing or drinking water, but once I was hydrated, I seem to keep my levels up with about 2 liters of pure water plus extra fruit. TBH, I didn't have much of an appetite in the first half of my pregnancy and though I'm unsure how it's related, eating more (especially protein)seems to be helping. I say thing because it was fluctuating until I finally gained a few lbs lol

So glad your scan today went well! Yeah 2 gallons is a little much. I have been able to do about 2-3 liters though. I think it might be working I can feel her move a lot more today. Thanks for the fruit in the water idea! Makes it so much better. I also was really sick up until about 17 weeks so that probably didn't help haha. What kind of protein are you eating? I need some better ideas

I like peanut butter for my sweet tooth lol I dip apples in it. But I've also been adding in more chicken and salmon. I buy the pre cooked chicken so I can just microwave it and toss it into food since I'm too lazy to really cook lol

hahaha i hate cooking too, I'm gonna pick up some chicken tomorrow

Drink drink drink it can replenish some of it I had 1 at 34 weeks and carried to 37 weeks when I was induced xx

I was detected low-normal amniotic fluid at 20 wk scan (afi 8.5) and when re-scanned at 28 wks, it was 7.9. I kept having scans every 2 weeks. at our 32 wk scan he was measuring 2 weeks behind, but at 34 wk scan he measured okay. At every scan, there was some growth so they didnt want to take the baby out, but my fluid levels were always near low-normal.

I drank lot of water, took a protein rich diet , had sachets of L-ARGININE, but fuild levels stayed put betwn 8-9. At 36 weeks, baby was again measuring behind, and i had to undergo a non stress test every 3 days. at 39 weeks, i opted for a c-sec, as i was told vaginal delievery can be stressful for baby in case of low fluid.

My baby was born at 6lbs.. so not entirely small, but in low percentile. His height was 19 inches, also age appropriate.

Just keep yourself hydrated..drink tons of water n have lots of protein (egg whites, fish etc). Best of luck..

Just wanted to give an update. My levels went up to 11.5 yesterdays scan, so looks like drinking lots of water helped me. Gonna keep drinking and eating protein, they want another scan in 2 weeks just to make sure it's stayed up. Fingers are crossed! Thank you :)

I'm glad things improved! Fingers crossed for a healthy pregnancy!

Just wanted to give an update. My levels went up to 11.5 yesterdays scan, so looks like drinking lots of water helped me. Gonna keep drinking and eating protein, they want another scan in 2 weeks just to make sure it's stayed up. Fingers are crossed! Thank you :)

Is your scan tomorrow?

It was today :) levels are still up between 11-12 so we are still good. I need to just remember to keep drinking! I ended up downloading an app called plant nanny in my phone to help me keep track of how much im drinking a day.

So glad I won't need to get anymore scans!

I feel so relieved. Took a long time to scan for a secondary anatomy today but it was because she was positioned funny. But everything checked out nicely. Now if I could just get rid of the insane heart burn I would be happy lol. I didn't know drinking a lot of water can do that to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->