Low fetal heart rate, small size, 8 weeks?

Calcifer

Reaction score
Hi has anyone else gone through similar? I went in for what I thought was my 8 week scan but unfortunately what was on screen was a failed twin pregnancy: one empty sac and one struggling foetus measuring behind (around 6weeks) and with a slow heart rate of 75bpm.

I don't have any signs of miscarriage just yet so have been told to wait a week to see if the surviving baby's heart rate picks up. But I've been given just a 10% chance of that happening and it's likely that next week the heart beat will have stopped.

I just wanted to find out if anyone else has had that. How long can I 'expect' the heart to keep beating? Or has anyone had a foetus that just 'catches up'? I think my worst case scenario would be a surviving slow growth foetus with chromosome issues.

Thanks for your help!!

When I was about that far along with my daughter, I had a lot of bleeding. I went to get it checked out and saw the baby at 6 weeks with a slow hb. They told me to get it rechecked in a week. I did, and the heartbeat went back to normal. My daughter is now 5.

Sorry you are going through this hunny, hope your baby pulls through

I've seen this situation go badly, but I've seen it turn out okay, too. Personally, I would expect the worst but hope for the best. Do you have an appointment for a follow up ultrasound??

I've seen this situation go badly, but I've seen it turn out okay, too. Personally, I would expect the worst but hope for the best. Do you have an appointment for a follow up ultrasound??

Hi sorry for the delay in response - from what I understand the situation is dismal (99% chance of miscarriage) however there's no timeline to this happening, sometime in the next few weeks...

I have a follow up ultrasound on Wednesday and I'm just hoping that it will all be over so I can schedule a D&C. The waiting around is just killing me.

When I was about that far along with my daughter, I had a lot of bleeding. I went to get it checked out and saw the baby at 6 weeks with a slow hb. They told me to get it rechecked in a week. I did, and the heartbeat went back to normal. My daughter is now 5.

Sorry you are going through this hunny, hope your baby pulls through

Thanks, I'm very glad it turned around for you and that you have a beautiful daughter!

In my case though, the heartbeat is fatally low at 8 weeks and I'm sure of my dates, so it's not likely to pull through. Having spent a lot of time researching this, it's a matter of waiting for it to stop or of option to stop it I think...

First of all, congrats on the pregnancy! I know it's not a dream situation in the slightest, and I have had a very early miscarriage myself in the past. I would say try to stop researching in the meantime because it only causes more stress since there is not much you can do but wait. Enjoy all the time you have with the little one, you never know what will happen, bad chromosomes or not. I hope everything works out with your babe and if not, I pray your next pregnancy is better!

So sorry to hear this Calcifer. All the best for your scan tomorrow xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->