Low HCG, freaking out! Honest opinions please...

indigoskies

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I'm new to posting here but have read (& learnt) alot from all your posts. My issue: I found out I was pregnant last Sunday. Although I knew it was very early days I still got a blood test (on Sunday) and hcg was 33. My doctor was not concerned and said that was low but expected for approx 11/12 days past ovulation. I went for my follow up blood test on Tuesday (13/14 dpo) and hcg was only 95. Doctor said she was concerned as still too low. I know it's low - but it more than doubled and it appears to be in range (& the range is huge really!). Then she made me get another test on Wednesday and hcg was 125. She said it's bad news. Obviously is hasn't doubled between 95 and 125, but there wasn't 48 hours between tests...

So now I'm freaking out majorly as the doctor told me to prepare to miscarry. This had concerned me even more because I had some very slight brown mucous discharge for the last few days. I had assumed it was left over from implantation or maybe a breakthrough bleed...but now who knows.

Anyone been told what I've been told and have a happy ending?

Not sure sweetie just wanted to send you some hugs and I'm crossing my fingers for you xx

It does sound low and I would definitely be prepared for it to turn out to be a chemical pregnancy. However, it is still very early days, so there are various possibilites. As your tests were not 48 hours apart the level might not have had enough time to rise. I'm afraid you will just have to wait and see what happens. If you are still pregnant at the start of next week then having another blood test would be a good idea to see what is going on with your levels.
Sorry that you are having to go through a worrying time. Hoping that your levels will be catching up and you don't have any more bleeding.

Thanks girls. Wish I had a crystal ball or better yet that I had never tested and was none the wiser! The bleeding is barely bleeding, more mucous than anything else but still worrying. Well I'll keep praying, it's all I can do.

I had bad discharge and heavy bleeding with my daughter. Try take things easy, there are lots of possible causes. ¤*¤,.,¤*¤~ good luck/baby stick dust ~¤*¤,.,¤*¤

I agree with Kat. It looks like it will be a waiting game. I am sorry!! But your numbers while on the lower side, did double except for the day that you had them done back to back. I would still hold out hope!!! I hope everything turns out well for you. Hugs!!

I'm still holding onto hope - no spotting since yesterday and boobs are killing me, so hopefully that means hcg increasing. Oh well, if it's meant to be it will be. Just disappointing to be told it's bad news especially when it's your first ever bfp!:shrug:

It's low but it's increasing, so you still have reason to hope. Good luck!

indigoskies, I am not one to give false hope (at ALL), but I have to say, it's WAY premature to call it a chemical at this point based on those numbers. (Why in the world didn't your doctor have you wait two days between the second two?)

These were my numbers with this pregnancy:

14dpo: 48
16dpo: 77 (did not double... only went up 60%)
At that point, I prepared myself for a chemical pg. I even sobbed my eyes out because I was sure of it. But, my doctor insisted that my numbers went up 60% in two days and were fine, but a third level would have to be taken so we'd really know what was going on. They ended up taking off from there, and now I am 10 weeks pg with a healthy baby whose heartbeat I just heard this afternoon!

When I got my 16dpo result, I found a study that had the following outcomes for hCG at 16dpo:

50 - 100 hCG at 16dpo -- Of 16 women, 25% continued on with their pregnancies.
100 - 199 hCG at 16dpo -- Of 27 women with these levels, 73% continued on with their pregnancies.

Since mine was only 77, that meant I had only a 25% chance of carrying on with a healthy pregnancy! Thankfully, I beat those odds! And YOUR hCG at only 15dpo was 125... so who knows how much higher yours was at 16dpo! So, I'd say your chances are good, and it's certainly completely inappropriate to call it as a miscarriage based on those numbers.

If I were you, I would insist on yet another hCG level, taken at least 2-4 days after the last one (you can use a beta doubling calculator to figure out your doubling rate, no matter how many days separate them). Without it, it's just too early to call!

BTW, you may want to start progesterone supplementation. If your doctor refuses to give you a prescription, there are progesterone creams you can buy at health food stores (you rub it onto your belly daily and it absorbs through the skin). The reason I suggest this is that there's a theory that low initial hCG can indicate a weak implantation. Progesterone will thicken the lining and strengthen the implantation. Try to start on that ASAP.

my sister in law had a similar situation it didnt double but it was close enough just hope everything goes well for you xx

Poodlemommy! Thankyou - you have given me some much needed hope! It's crazy really, wish I'd never asked to see the hcg results becuase then (no matter how things turn out) I would have spent the last week revelling in being pregnant instead of fretting over blood tests! I got bloods taken yesterday (15/16 dpo) and should get the results tomorrow. I'm praying like I've never prayed before in my life! I'm glad you beat the odds and I hope I join you. Thanks :haha:

Last pregnancy I was so concerned with levels, I was tested and stressed out all the time! When it ended badly I knew that it was coming. It was terrible and I resolved to not get all the testing done this time, and I did not. It has been much easier on me and I have a healthy pregnancy this time, any by the time I went to the OB I was already 11 weeks along so I did not have to worry about all that. Good luck!

Oh wow! I just stumbled upon my own post from all these years ago. I just thought I'd leave an update (4 years too late 😂) in case anyone ever looks at this with a similar problem to what I had. Everything turned out great - my very low hcg level that was destined to end in a miscarriage is now my four year old son ☺️

Awww how lovely to see an update and a good one at that :)

Oh wow! I just stumbled upon my own post from all these years ago. I just thought I'd leave an update (4 years too late 😂) in case anyone ever looks at this with a similar problem to what I had. Everything turned out great - my very low hcg level that was destined to end in a miscarriage is now my four year old son ☺️

Wow! That is so fantastic!! Betas cause too much worry.

Aww so lovely to hear and congrats on ur 4 year old lol xx

I cried reading your update! This is amazing!!
My betas started at 8 and two days later at 17 and one day later a 25. Waiting on next set of results! This makes me so happy! Your update has given me a tremendous amount of positive hope. Thanks.

Awww so glad to hear this after all these years

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"