Low Iron.......grrrrr

cyanidepill

Reaction score
Had my midwife appointment today which went well. Baby is still well done, lively and heartbeat is nice and healthy.

My blood pressure is fabulous, best it's been in years actually at 120/64 (with first pregnancy the lower number was never before 85 and i was in and out of pregnancy assessment daily).

She did say that on my bloods that my iron level was lower than they would like, which has annoyed me as i'm on the high strength folic acid (5mg daily throughout entire pregnancy) PLUS the surestart multi-vitamins (including vitamin D and extra iron).....and yet still my iron level is lower than they'd like.

She said that I do run the risk of becoming anaemic again. I was anaemic after i had my son by section in 2003 as I lost too much blood. I was 0.1 of whatever they measure it in from needing a blood transfusion. So i may have that to look forward to again :dohh:

well yay to great blood pressure and a lively healthy bump :)

I'm having the same problem with iron, I've been take iron in a multi-vitamin since 1 week before I got pregnant, and at my first appointment at 6 weeks pregnant I was told I had good iron stores. but at 22 weeks pregnant I had to have an operation and was told when the bloods came back for that, that I was slightly anemic :shrug:
I have been told that if a take my iron at the same time as any calcium, eg milk, cheese or vitamins (which I am also taking) that it stops you absorbing the iron. so make sure you are not eating or taking calcium within at least 2 hours before or after you take the iron. I'm having more blood work taken next week to check my iron levels, but she said all they do if it comes back low is get you to take Iron :shrug:

I usually take my tablets (folic acid, multi vitamin for pregnancy and my tablets for IBS) on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, then within half an hour after taking them i have some toast.

I don't have many calcium rich food or drink as milk angers my IBS when pregnant. I do eat some cheese but not nearly as much as i used to....and i hate yoghurts lol.

I've eaten iron rich foods through the pregnancy and actually eaten healthier whilst pregnant than i did before lol. I guess my body just isn't absorbing the iron as efficiently as it could do. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->