Low LH or FSH delaying ovulation?

jameswithemma

Reaction score
Hello,

My girlfriend's periods went for about year and then returned to normal. She went to the doctors during that spell and they said she was low in either LH or FSH but she can't remember which.

Her cycles are generally quite long anyway, between 39-43.

We assume the hormone that was low has since gone back up as her periods returned, but my question is, could it be that the level isn't at a normal level because her cycles are longer, so she takes longer to ovulate? Her LP was about 9-10 this cycle.

My theory is that if the levels were lower then they should be and she has periods, then the cycles would really vary in length, more so then they do now.

She will be going back to the doctor as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Hi James!

So, I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a similar issue right now, so I can share what I've discovered from my own research.

First, the portion of a cycle that will vary is the follicular phase, NOT the LP. The LP will be the same cycle to cycle. So if your GF is having cycles of varying lengths, it will be the time BEFORE ovulation that's varying.

Next, a 9-10 day LP is not ideal. Mine is 9. Once ovulation happens, the egg takes awhile to get to the uterus and implant. That time period varies between 6-12 days, with most people falling in the middle. The problem with a 9 or 10 day LP is that if it takes that long for the egg to get to the uterus, and your GFs period has already started, implantation can't happen.

LH is the hormone that tells a woman's ovaries to release an egg, and FSH is the hormone that tells the ovary to get an egg ready. FSH builds up in the system throughout the beginning of a cycle, and starts to decline after Ovulation (which makes sense, since it's job is done!). LH "surges" at the time of ovulation as the pituitary gland releases it to trigger ovulation. That's the hormone that the tests people use to watch for ovulation are looking for. If she's ovulating, then those hormones are there and working. They are all about releasing an egg.

If she has a short LP, you might want to consider the role of progesterone. Progesterone is the hormone that is released from the ovary after ovulation. It tells the body that there's an egg on the way and NOT to have a period yet. If the egg has not implanted in the uterus by a certain amount of time after being released, the progesterone runs out and a woman's period will start. If the ovary is not releasing enough progesterone after ovulation, then the number of days will be shorter than the average 14.

Hope that helps you guys out! Try looking for information about a progesterone deficiency and see if that sounds like what might be going on. Based on the recommendations of other posters on here, I'm taking a supplement called Vitex to try and correct my short LP. It's my first month trying it, so I can't vouch for it, but plenty of other ladies do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->