Low lying placenta

Natty_babez

Alexa-Jayne & Daisy-Mae
Reaction score
I've had my 20 week scan today and they have said everything is fine and baby is healthy but my placenta is very low and is completely covering my cervix. I am booked for another scan at 32 weeks to check again and if it's still the same I'll have another at 36 and then they'll make the decision as to whether I have to have a cesesrean.

Has anyone had this happen and their placenta moved ? I am so worried as she said it can cause bleeding and I suffered a miscarriage last year so any sight of blood will just have me worrying and panicking and I still go to the toilet now expecting the worst.

What are the chances of it moving and everything being ok ? Anyone have any knowledge on this or anything to put my mind at ease I really don't want to be worrying now until my next scan

Xxx

I had full coverage last time and it moved completly by 34 weeks. My consultant said 92% of low lying placentas will move by mid third trimester. I'm Half covering this time but I'm not that concerned. I'm not sure if they have put you on restrictions or not such as no heavy lifting or sex but if you follow them you should be totally fine. I ended up with a partial abrupion ladt time which caused bleeding but it healed up well and my daughter arrived safely at 38 weeks. Try not to panic, it really is nothing to be too worried about.

Hi

I've not really been told anything she just said I'm booked in for another scan when I'm 32 weeks. She did say it was completely covering my cervix do you think I should have been given any restrictions ? What causes the bleeding if I do bleed ? I can't help but feel so paranoid now

Xxx

Can't give you any advice on what will happen, but I'm in a similar boat as you. My midwife said I have partial placenta previa and have been put on restrictions. I have another scan in a few weeks to see if the placenta has shifted since my last visit. The wait is so tough, because there is nothing you can do to fix it. Hang in there!! :hugs:

What restrictions have you been given as I've been told nothing ?

I'm gonna try and ring my midwife tomorrow as I need some re assurance

Xxx

Hi

I've not really been told anything she just said I'm booked in for another scan when I'm 32 weeks. She did say it was completely covering my cervix do you think I should have been given any restrictions ? What causes the bleeding if I do bleed ? I can't help but feel so paranoid now

Xxx

Basically as the cervix moves as you move it slightly pulls on the placenta which can cause bleeding. I had a bit of spotting here and there but it was usually if Id been on my feet a lot or sometimes after a BM. The abrupion was just bad luck. Lots and lots of women have no bleeding what so ever though. I am surprised they didn't put you on restrictions with full coverage though?

They've told me nothing and I'm a big worrier !! My notes say posterior placenta reaches internal os on today's scan - 32 weeks scan arranged to check placental site.
It doesn't mention anything about what grade it is as I've seen mentioned and the notes just don't seem to make any sense she made it out like I could carry on with my everyday activities but then now reading more about it I think I should be given restrictions or at least more info not just told to have another scan at 32 weeks

Also my notes say - suboptimal due to tissue attenuation what on earth does that mean ????

Xxx

If it says reaches is then that normally means grade 2 and not fully covered. But obviously it's best to ask your midwife if you have been told fully covered. Normal restrictions are no sex and no heavy lifting, nothing major. They may feel though that because of where your placenta is it's safe and you don't need to take precautions and that's why you weren't told? Honestly if it was anything really serious they wouldn't have sent you away with no information and certainly not just leave it until a scan at 32 weeks. Lots of things in your notes can sound really scary but in reality are just normal. But yea Id phone your midwife, she will be able to offer you some reassurance and explain any questions you may have.

Thanks I'll phone my midwife tomorrow afternoon when I finish work I am so happy our little girl is healthy and happy in there but any small problems make me worry and when they mentioned bleeding I just panicked !!!

I know most people on here aren't medically trained it helps so much to speak to people that have been through the same thing and have experience with all this

Xxx

Thanks I'll phone my midwife tomorrow afternoon when I finish work I am so happy our little girl is healthy and happy in there but any small problems make me worry and when they mentioned bleeding I just panicked !!!

I know most people on here aren't medically trained it helps so much to speak to people that have been through the same thing and have experience with all this

Xxx

It defo makes it easier having people to talk to. Hope your midwife can answer all your questions so you can relax a little :) x

I had a low-lying placenta last time (found around the same point as you), and it had moved up out of the way by the time they re-checked in my 3rd trimester. I also never had any bleeding with mine. I think that chances are you'll be absolutely fine. :)

Mine is low too, the ultrasound techs say 1-2cm away from the cervix. According to my mw, anything over 2cm and we are in the clear. She explained it to me like a balloon. If you mark an x on a deflated balloon near the bottom and then inflate it, it moves up. same with the uterus and placenta.
The mw had no doubts that it would move and showed no signs of concern. They still recommendee to get rechecked at 32 weeks.
For now I relax.

Oh, and around 14 weeks the mw did a pap smear and noticed a small bleed but nothing ever strong enough for me to notice.

I had this with my first son. It had completely moved by the time I had my scan at about 32 weeks.

I spoke to my midwife today and she said that I didn't need to be put on any restrictions some ladies don't like to have sex until they've had their scan at 32 weeks but she said if we want to we can just take it gently and not to do any lifting or carrying and if I have any bleeding to go straight to the hospital.

I'm trying not to worry about it as the midwife said it's quite common and stress and worry isn't good for me or the baby so I'm trying to just relax and hope by my next scan it has moved and I can let things happen naturally

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->