Low progesterone...clomid??? Scared!

inpghttc

Reaction score
Hello ladies...I'm 34 and TTC#1. I am feeling really bummed today and was hoping some of you ladies could help me out. I came off the pill in June and just ended my 5th cycle with all BFN's. I saw an RE during this last cycle due to my age and it being my first child that I am TTC. I was also concerned because even though af has been pretty regular as well as me getting positive opks and peaks on my cbfm...I have been spotting this around 10 dpo until af (about 4 days per cycle). My RE did a bunch of blood tests during my cycle and today on CD25, after a negative blood pregnancy test, he did a uterine lining biopsy. After the painful procedure, he told me that my blood tests have been coming back with low progesterone levels and if my biopsy comes back with similar results, he is going to recommend clomid. I am pretty upset because I have been afraid all along that this could be my issue. Does this mean I may not be ovulating? Anyone else have these tests done and had similar results? Advice?

Did you get a # on your progesterone level and was that test done 7DPO?:flower:

No...he didn't give me numbers...I figure I'll get that when my biopsy comes back... I haf several bloodtests done on different days pre and post ovulation...the last two were CD 20 and CD 24

I am sorry to keep asking questions, but do you have reason to believe you aren't ovulating?

I just don't want to give you bad info. The only progesterone tests I have had, were done at 7DPO...

No...I just read that if your numbers are low enough then it could mean that even though the opks amd thinks are positive...you still may not be ovulating...I also read that clomid isn't only for that...it helps youbproduce better follicles which in turn helps increase your progesterone...was wondering if anybladies on here were put on clomid for low progesterone levels and advice about that I guess...

Well, it is true that you can get a positive OPK and not OV...the tests only detect that a surge is happening; temping gives you the confirmation.

I do OV on my own, but I have been on Clomid; if you think in terms of it as an ovulation drug, then the success rates are very high...about 85%.

If you think of it as a magic pregnancy pill, then the rates are much lower bc your egg and the sperm still need to meet...if that makes any sense at all.:wacko:

Would you be monitored during your Clomid cycle? It can thin your lining.

Thanks for your replys...I don't know those details yet until the biopsy comes back...

Hi there, yes I have been put on Clomid for low progesterone -- my levels were high enough to prove ovulation (as did temping) but were generally low and not in the 'normal' range (also manifested by a short luteal phase of 9-ish days). So yeah, was put on 50mg of clomid with the theory of producing better follicles and therefore a better corpus luteum, which should in turn produce more progesterone.

So i have done 3 complete cycles so far... It did bump my progesterone up in to the normal range, but only just, still on the low end of normal. The doc said usually he would then up the dose to 100mg - but - for me, the clomid has had the aforementioned side-effect of thinning my lining (period = 2 days, max!) so he's not keen to do that. I'm on the 4th month of 50mg now and going in for an iv-ultrasound on the weekend to check lining thickness. If it's thin his recommendation is to move to Gonal F (which is 'pure' FSH I believe, rather than clomid which just elicits an FSH response). Sooooo... I've had no other ill effects of clomid at all, no side effects, just the thin lining. Other than that it was completely easy to take etc... If you're opposed to medical intervention that's one thing, but otherwise its pretty easy/no big deal. I'd presume they would start you on a low dose and ramp up as necessary - and if not, suggest it! I wouldn't necessarily want to *start* at 100mg for example... Although some do - especially if they're not ovulating on their own. But if you are ovulating, I'd consider starting low (like 25mg even) until you're comfortable with it and satisfied you're not getting any unwanted side effects.

GL! :hugs:

Hi there,
I think it would be more helpful if you had the actual number. My doc has told me that a 7dpo progesterone level should be greater than 7 to indicate ovulation, but ideally greater than 10 to support a pregnancy.
Although, each doctor and each clinic seem to have a different scale that they prefer. :wacko:

Sorry you had to go through that biopsy. That sounds horrible.

Good luck with the results.

I had monitored unmedicated cycle in June which showed that I didn't ovulate (strange because the follicle grew, it looked like it would send forth in egg), but when I went for the CD20 blood test progesterone proved to be low. I did clomid for two cycles in July and August at 100 mg. The drug made me kind of mean and irritable, but most of all it made all my CM go away. So although I was ovulating on the clomid (blood test showed that I was), I could not get pregnant because I had no CM. I tried preseed and mucinex too...all to no avail. That being said, I know many people who were successful on clomid and had their babies as a result. So, I don't know if it would hurt to try...:shrug:

Thanks everyone...I'm a little freaked out that no one else on here has had a bioposy test along with the bloodwork done by their RE. I am hoping it tells him more about my levels and such but why has no one else had this done for suspected low progesterone??

Thanks everyone...I'm a little freaked out that no one else on here has had a bioposy test along with the bloodwork done by their RE. I am hoping it tells him more about my levels and such but why has no one else had this done for suspected low progesterone??

I wouldn't be freaked out. :hugs: I'm sure you're not the only one. Maybe those that have had the test done just aren't reading this.

You can try posting in the assisted conception forum as well.
Maybe they will have the answers for you.

Call the office back and ask what the exact level was, then post and let us know. We can all compare notes, lol.

I called the office they said I ovulated but was low with an 8. Not sure which day that was...

I called the office they said I ovulated but was low with an 8. Not sure which day that was...

To be accurate, it needs to be around 7dpo. If it's 4dpo or 12 dpo, results would be expected to be different.

Progesterone can be supplemented pretty easily. It can be taken orally or by vaginal suppositories. Hopefully clomid and some progesterone supplements will do the trick for you. :flower:

You can also try femara. Most docs start with clomid b/c that is what they are familiar with. Femara is reported to have fewer side effects, like thin lining.

I've done both clomid and femara. They both have positives and negatives. Good luck.

I was told I was not ovulating because of my low day 21 progesterone test results (5.3) although my charts suggested I was ovulating but had a short luteal phase (AF came the day after the test in this case). My periods were also very light and short compared with how they'd been before I had my son.
I took 50mg Clomid this month and my day 21 levels were 97.3! That was actually 3dpo. My temps have been higher than usual and I am now 10 dpo with no sign of spotting yet. I'm very impressed with that aspect of Clomid, but not with its drying effects. No fertile CM, and I think having sex with that level of dryness precipitated thrush, just at the point of ovulation. Not handy at all. So I'm holding out no hope of pregnancy.
I was also scared of taking Clomid and held out for several months after getting the prescription. But other than vaginal dryness I've had no real side effects, except perhaps greasy hair in the luteal phase, so I wouldn't be too worried. I'm glad I did it now. Even if it doesn't get me pregnant, it makes me feel better to know I released a big fat egg this month. ;)
As to your biopsy, I think they've fallen out of favour a bit, at least in relation to luteal phase defect, a diagnosis which most gynaecologists nowadays don't tend to make. Here's an abstract discussing that issue.
https://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/7/7/973.abstract
I have read somewhere too that there is very little consensus on the interpretation of the results of the biopsies. Maybe your gynaecologist is a bit old school.
Pure speculation on my part!
But don't worry too much about the Clomid x

Thanks! Good to hear some stories...I'm not that worried about fertile CM becuase I barely have any anyways...ha! DH tella me that I am wetter that time of the month but I NEVER get any in my panties or much on th TP!

Fairhaven Health - FERTILECM. No CM to Brill CM!

I've ordered Fertile CM but I'm not sure when to take it. Do you take it throughout your cycle? Or just after menstruation until ov?

I've ordered Fertile CM but I'm not sure when to take it. Do you take it throughout your cycle? Or just after menstruation until ov?

Take it all the time. 3 capsules a day. I think you get enough for a months supply. Expensive but WELL worth every penny. I now have my CM back :happydance:

Take it all the time. 3 capsules a day. I think you get enough for a months supply. Expensive but WELL worth every penny. I now have my CM back :happydance:

Thanks! Do you take one with each meal? I ordered the fertile CM while I never really had any in the year + off birth control, but last month while I was waiting for it to arrive I actually did have a few "danglers". I had been taking Vitex, I wonder if that helped the CM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->