Low progesterone...what is done for it?

jwalk16

Reaction score
I was told my progesterone was low but normal and to have it repeated this fall if we are not pregnant. I wasn't really tracking my cycle when I did the last blood work except for tracking my CM, My cycles has been at 27 days. Since my progesterone was low and if repeated would still be low, do you think I should request to be referred to an RE? I know insurance will not pay for infertility treatments and the high cost of it all isn't really in the budget now. What is usually done for low progesterone? What's the cost like?

I have been using a CBEFM and looks like I'll be entering my 3rd cycle using it. I have tested already and of course...a BFN. No symptoms whatsoever. I just need to POAS and move on. I have been TTC since March of this year. I am so tired of every 2WW now.

Well progestone is used to thicken the lining of the uterus to prepare the embroyo for implantation. It also aids in prolonging and sustaning the pregnancy. I would ask your doctor if he can prescribe a low dose of progestone like 100 mg. I don't think a RE has to do it. I was put on progestone on day 21 of my cycle and am continueing it until my 12th week of pregnancy.. Good luck...

Thanks Garnet. Do you think I should have a repeat done this cycle to guarantee it is indeed low?

Hi Jwalk - if your progesterone tests come back showing low prog, your doctor should give you some tablets (many are vaginal suppositories).
Do you have any problems with your luteal phase (ie time between ovulation and period) - what I mean is, is it shorter than 10-12 days? Ideally it should be 12-14 days to give the beany adequate time to implant. Short luteal phase is often caused by low progesterone, which brings on the period too soon. I have this problem, but my doctor wouldn't prescribe me progesterone so I now use progesterone cream that I buy online.

Cypress. I am so pleased for you and your little bean. You have given some hope that I will get a BFP soon. I am 37 and feel that time is running out. I appear to have a short luteal phase and have been looking online for Progesterone cream. I had a day 21 blood test last week to check but I think my doc will be the same as yours and not prescribe it so I might just order it and see if it makes a difference.

Choccielover - thanks so much for your kind words - I can totally relate to the feeling of time running out. But you've got a couple of years on me, so I know it will happen for you soon! good luck with the Duo, I've been cuious about those, I like their 12-month money-back guarantee, I'd love to know how you find it.

You could def try the prog cream to see if it makes any difference. Someone on BnB had recommended Serenity brand prog cream (google for website - the pure prog cream, not the combo cream), that's what I'm using at the moment. The general recommendations that I've seen on the forums are to use 1/4 tsp morning and again 12 hours later; use only *after* ov (I give it a day or two to make sure ov is def over), until 14dpo or until AF, whichever comes first; if you get to 14dpo, test, and if neg stop the cream, AF will then begin.

One main thing to note is that you have to keep taking it consistently up to 14dpo, and if the test is positive you have to keep taking it straight through to 12 weeks, when the placenta takes over. So it's good always to have an extra jar (or two or three!) on hand so that you are never at risk of running out, as a missed application will cause prog levels to drop, which could have disastrous results.
Best of luck hun x

Thanks Garnet. Do you think I should have a repeat done this cycle to guarantee it is indeed low?

I don't know but if the first one said it was low then it probably is low. Also I started the first cycle on day 21 until my AF showed up. It can prohibit pregnancy if used incorrectly...

See Post 13 here https://www.babyandbump.com/trying-...-help-short-luteal-phase-mc.html#post13162269

where do you apply progesterone cream? It's said: on your feet but where? Behind knee ? On the neck: back,front or doesn't matter ?
thank you :flower:

Hi Tupi-

Generally- you want to put the cream in thin-skinned places so it can go through the skin easier to be absorbed into the blood stream. That said, maybe the top of the feet (but I think feet are thicker-skinned in general) . Def behind the knee and inner wrist is good. Neck- right under the jaw on the sides are really good pulse points, but probably the whole neck area is ok. That's my layman's knowledge. Good luck!

Hi Tupi-

Generally- you want to put the cream in thin-skinned places so it can go through the skin easier to be absorbed into the blood stream. That said, maybe the top of the feet (but I think feet are thicker-skinned in general) . Def behind the knee and inner wrist is good. Neck- right under the jaw on the sides are really good pulse points, but probably the whole neck area is ok. That's my layman's knowledge. Good luck!

:hugs: :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->