Low progesterone?

Sarah20109

Reaction score
Okay, I've been freaking out. I'm 6 weeks today. Two days ago DH and I had sex for the first time since I got my bfp (we were worried it'd be bad for the pregnancy but we couldn't hold out any longer :haha:) Up until that point I've had absolutely no spotting or pain. Right after sex I checked for blood and there was none so I went on with my day. That evening there was a very very small amount of brown discharge on the toilet paper when I wiped, like only a spot. When I checked internally there was a little more. It was really light brown. An hour later it was gone. No pain or cramps. Then yesterday evening the same thing happened. A small spot on the toilet paper, a little internally, gone by the next morning. I made a terrible decision and started Googling. Everything said it could be low progesterone levels? Is this what it sounds like to you ladies or is it just normal spotting? As you can see with my signature I've never had really great progesterone levels after O and of course the one month that I get my bfp is the month that I didn't get my levels checked after O. Because of military insurance I can't go to my OB until my referral gets processed at the end of next week. Ahhhh.

Get some over the counter progesterone cream. I use Progest brand personally and have had a good experience with it. It is at least something you can do until you can get progesterone supplements from your doctor if your levels are low. Even if your levels are fine it won't hurt anything. Good luck and try not to worry too much about the spotting. I had spotting and so have a lot of other gals who are still carrying healthy nuggets!

Anyone know how low is too low? I read online somewhere that if it's over 20 you're fine. I've been having over 15 on non-pregnant cycles so maybe I'm worrying for nothing?

I'm supplementing with a natural progesterone oil this time. You can get a progesterone oil or cream over the counter. I've done a ton of research on this topic and it's almost impossible to get too much progesterone. The thing is once you start using it, you have to KEEP using it until 13-16 weeks.

spotting is sometimes very normal in pregnancy and if your progesterone is fine there is no need to supplement..if u think its low call ur doc and have a blood draw first...

i wouldnt add anything if nothing is wrong...

progesterone has been starting to be controversial lately with taking and when to take it and taking to much....

so i would call ur doctor ask for a blood test which will come back the same day or next and go ffrom there.

good luck hun

Thank you ladies! I'm starting to think it was caused by having sex. Perhaps I irritated my cervix?

Brown blood is old blood, it could have been from implantation, just needed a wiggle to move out. I wouldn't stress!

Def could be i had a little brown after my internal scan doc said very normal as can irritate cervix lasted about an hour or so and havent seen any since

My progesterone was 12 at 4 weeks and that was with using the cream. My RE said to keep using it until after the first trimester as a previous poster indicated. She also said had I not used the cream during my luteal phase and after my bfp i wouldn't have maintained the pregnancy. My progesterone levels did increase over the course of the pregnancy so everyone is different. I had a short luteal phase and other signs of progesterone deficiency so knew it was the right choice for me. Glad to hear your spotting has stopped and you think you know what caused it! Happy and healthy 9 months to you!

Thank you ladies! I'm starting to think it was caused by having sex. Perhaps I irritated my cervix?

Definitely was most likely caused by sex. You can expect spotting after every bout of sex from here til the end of your pregnancy, I'm afraid.

Even without sex brown spotting is no big deal. I had it throughout the first tri with my daughter.

My progesterone was 12 at 4 weeks and that was with using the cream. My RE said to keep using it until after the first trimester as a previous poster indicated. She also said had I not used the cream during my luteal phase and after my bfp i wouldn't have maintained the pregnancy. My progesterone levels did increase over the course of the pregnancy so everyone is different. I had a short luteal phase and other signs of progesterone deficiency so knew it was the right choice for me. Glad to hear your spotting has stopped and you think you know what caused it! Happy and healthy 9 months to you!

right but that is because u had a problem not everyone bleeding means low progesterone :flower:

right but that is because u had a problem not everyone bleeding means low progesterone :flower:

Yes justhoping I did have low progesterone (not diagnosed before my bfp!) and didn't say our poster did necessarily. I know there are conflicting opinions on progesterone use as you have pointed out but my RE assured me it would be very difficult to overdo it with progesterone and the studies that showed deformities were based on extreme amounts being prescribed and were inconclusive as to whether the progesterone was actually the cause of those issues.

It is a personal choice and I respect it's not something you would do but it has saved many pregnancies and is something most women are deficient in with estrogen laden products we are exposed to currently. To each their own and it sounds like our poster doesn't need it anyway yay!:flower:

Yes justhoping I did have low progesterone (not diagnosed before my bfp!) and didn't say our poster did necessarily. I know there are conflicting opinions on progesterone use as you have pointed out but my RE assured me it would be very difficult to overdo it with progesterone and the studies that showed deformities were based on extreme amounts being prescribed and were inconclusive as to whether the progesterone was actually the cause of those issues.

It is a personal choice and I respect it's not something you would do but it has saved many pregnancies and is something most women are deficient in with estrogen laden products we are exposed to currently. To each their own and it sounds like our poster doesn't need it anyway yay!:flower:

i have low progesterone proven by early m/c's and blood work..

i took progesterone to have my son 6 yrs ago...and no doubt would have lost his without..

im now ttc for three yrs and was put back on progesterone as i still have very low progesterone.... been on it for the whole month and have tried just after O as well..
now with a new RE who first of all things took me off it..
new studies saying that it thins out the linning making it harder and sometime impossible for a egg to implant so alot of RE's are starting to only give once u get the bfp..

honestly that scares me to death especially that im trying so long and know i have low pro....but if this maybe what might be causing me now not to get pregnant..i guess its worth the checking it out like this..

i dont know..damned if i do and damned if i dont...grrrr

ps so i wasnt even talking about what you where talking about :)

That's so strange and new to me! Everything controversial I've heard about progesterone supplements was tied to fear of birth defects. My RE said progesterone thickens the lining and that a lack of would make it thin. With ivf treatments here in the states progesterone is standard protocol after ovulation to ensure the lining is thick enough to sustain the embryo transfer. Either way I hope you get your bfp and going off of it helps you!

im in the states, im in nyc...

i was told the same thing but this is a new study showing that given to early thins the linning and RE's it seems are starting not to put people on it so early...:shrug:

i dont know what i feel about it...im just hoping if i do ever get blessed with a bfp that he gets it in time...

There is no risk of birth defects with natural and bioavailable progesterone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->